S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Mixing With Coolant

Old 08-14-2009, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Mixing With Coolant

hey guys i have a problem and i have ran out of ideas and have no patience anymore......a lil while ago i had put together a F20C Head/F22C Block and have been having problems ever since....my problem is this, oil keeps getting into the cooling system but not the otehr way around..there is also no burning of coolant...

here are the steps i have taken so far that have not fixed the problem....

- compression testing....its reading 220 psi across the board
- ive taken off the head twice and have gotten it decked and inspected, also cleaned out
- each time ive taken off the head i get a new oem head gasket, with new head bolts
- measured up the deck of the block with a straight edge and dial guage
- torqued the bolts in the proper pattern and to the proper specs

i dont think that the block is cracked at all because i would think that it would mix both ways (oil pressure being greater when the car is running and coolant pressure being greater when the car is turned off after warming up)

so here i am with this problem i have run out of ideas in how to fix this...my last resort is swapping oil coolers off the block from another one that i have...if anyone has had these problems or know of something like this can you please help me....Thank you!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:48 AM

i have had the same problem with a b18. I eventual got sick of topping off my coolant and pulled the engine and replaced it. I think what was happening was when the engine cold a gap was formed under the head and when it was warm/on it was sealed tight. I cant tell you for sure because i have not taken the old engine to a machine shop yet, sorry.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:26 AM

i had that issue with an e36 m3. my mechanic told me that either the block or the head had been cracked in the past but that neither were cracked at the time. his opinion was that who ever did the repair before never did not do a complete flush of the system and there was contaminated coolant still in the system. since he had just replaced the radiator under normal maintance he did a complete flush at the same time, but it took three flushes to get all of the oil out and the coolant clean. it ran like a top before and after all that for what its worth.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:46 AM

yes i have done about 6 flushes each time with a detergent, it clears out the system until more oil drops in........in about 130 km i have dropped maybe 1/4 - 1/2 a quart of oil in the cooling system.....where ever its coming from its coming hard
Old 08-14-2009, 04:13 PM

does your oil level drop significantly while its doing this?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Former Moderator

Received 321 Likes on 294 Posts

Swap the oil cooler. They have leaked like this before on other Honda's that have similar coolers.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:16 PM

i think thats the plan....im gonna do it up tomorrow and let you guys know the results!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it sounds like the head could not be sealing correctly. and one reason you are only getting the oil crossing to cooland is that the oil is at a higher psi than the coolant. hope its just the cooler though
Old 08-14-2009, 11:01 PM

there should be no reason for that......the head has been to a machine shop twice now and has been decked, the block it self isnt out either....i understand your theory on how the oil is at a higher psi....but the cooling system is at a higher psi when the car is turned off thus leaking the coolant into the cylinder walls.....after i swap the oil cooler and the problem is not fixed i will most likely end up scrapping the block and go back to a 2.0
Old 08-15-2009, 07:52 AM

coolant is at 10-15psi at normal operating temp while oil pressure is substantially higher. the leak may be small enough that it requires more then 15psi to seep past thus allowing the higher pressurized oil to get past but not the lower pressurized coolant.

Quick Reply: Oil Mixing With Coolant