S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil light stays on 1-2 sec at startup, when hot!

Old 08-15-2004, 07:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cytopath,Aug 15 2004, 07:14 PM
Can someone verify the drainback amount should be 200ml rather than 600ml?
I don't think you'll get any kind of verification on this number as it is not something that is in any of the specs on any car. How much oil drains back into the pan will depend on temp of the oil at the time, the amount of time allowed to drain and the viscosity of the oil in question and quite frankly, this kind of information is really not important.
This is only my opinion but it seems you might be getting just a little bit on the compulsive/obsessive side on this whole situation.

Most of us simply keeps the oil level between the "add" and "full" marks and if the light goes out within the first few seconds, we don't think twice about it. You've already changed the filter. There is really nothing more you can do except to get the pressure measured if it really bothers you.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 15 2004, 07:53 PM
I don't think you'll get any kind of verification on this number as it is not something that is in any of the specs on any car. How much oil drains back into the pan will depend on temp of the oil at the time, the amount of time allowed to drain and the viscosity of the oil in question and quite frankly, this kind of information is really not important.
This is only my opinion but it seems you might be getting just a little bit on the compulsive/obsessive side on this whole situation.

Most of us simply keeps the oil level between the "add" and "full" marks and if the light goes out within the first few seconds, we don't think twice about it. You've already changed the filter. There is really nothing more you can do except to get the pressure measured if it really bothers you.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it looks like something was wrong with that PCX filter, as the oil light hasn't taken more than 0.5 seconds to extinguish since I changed it out, even in the conditions where it was most likely to take several seconds (the day before changing the filter it did this 3 times).

Any suggestions on following this up with Honda? Would my local parts counter warranty the filter and any consequential damages, even though it was purchased through hparts.com? I have saved the filter for analysis...
Old 08-17-2004, 08:56 AM

Your local parts place may warrenty the filter. I drove my S yesterday and my oil light went out within 2-3/10th's of a second. I never really thought about this before.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:35 AM

I'm almost certain that there is an anti drain valve build in the filter and the problem was that the valve didn't seal off properly thus the oil from the feed line drains back . The filter itself will always hold some oil ( even if the anti drain is faylty ) due to design .
Old 08-18-2004, 10:21 AM

The valve on the PCX filter is supposed to be stiffer than most other filters. The valve is supposed to open if the filter gets clogged allowing oil to flow. If this happens, all the contaminents from the filter enter the engine.

I am suprised this would happen with a Toyo Roki filter.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:45 AM

Is this really true? Is there a good explanation someplace about how these filters work? I don't quite understand what the anti-drainback valve has to do with the bypass.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by cytopath
Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 14 2004, 08:49 PM
If the oil light stays on a bit longer after a hot start, consider some of the following:
-your oil pressure sender may be getting "lazy" with age.
-your oil pump may not be sealing as well as it used to.
-perhaps your oil is thinning out too much when hot (for whatever reason).

Do you have any noticeable leaks?
Thanks for the response, xviper!

No, there are no oil leaks whatsoever. My garage floor is clean. Also, the oil being 1 X below full when cold shows exactly on the FULL mark when measured hot but after sitting 1+ hours (when I've noticed this happening), so you're right in that it's definitely not sensitivity being a few X marks low.

A few more datapoints, gathered tonight:

- When hot and restarted within 1 min after turning off, the oil light turns off almost instantaneously.

- When hot and left sitting 15-20 mins, the oil light goes out rather quickly (0.3-0.5 sec), but I've seen it flicker back on (flicker = almost not enough time to light the bulb fully) once about 0.1-0.2 sec after it went out!

- The light has never come on while driving, to my knowledge.

- When the engine is cold, I believe the oil light goes out rather quickly, but I'll need to confirm this tomorrow morning.

- When hot and left sitting for 1-4 hours, the oil light takes 1-2 seconds to turn off. Additional info just now: after leaving it for about 90 minutes, after it fired up I heard a fluttering sound while the light was on, which went away shortly after the light turned off. I nearly freaked out! It didn't really sound like valve ticking, even though in hindsight I think it was valve noise...

I change my oil with Mobil 1 10W30 every 3000-3750 miles, every time with a new Honda filter (the PCX 004 since it became available, P0H 305 before then).

Since I heard noise tonight at startup, I think it's an actual oil pressure problem rather than a bad sender. The oil was changed 2K miles ago and still looks somewhat clear, so I doubt the oil is deficient unless it's a bad batch of Mobil 1 (is this possible?!).

If the oil pump is not 'sealing', would that mean it would be leaking on the ground? Could it be that the oil pump is not pumping hot oil as well as before? Would that underperformance affect oiling of the engine during engine operation, or just at startup?

Is it a good assumption that the threshold for the 'idiot light' is high enough that having never come on during driving, it means that even during enthusiastic driving the oil pressure has been sufficient to fully lubricate the engine?

I have the Hondacare warranty, and will make an appoitnment with the dealer first thing Monday morning to look at the oil pump. However, I'm worried about real damage possibly having happened while the oil light has been on at startup (fluttering noise!), and during spirited driving while the oil pump has progressively been going bad. Are there tell-tale marks of such damage?

Anyone with a similar experience? I'd be surprised if I were the only one... How long are oil pumps supposed to last anyway?
I know this is a very old thread so sorry about that but I seem to be having the same EXACT symptoms that you listed. This started after I used a PCX filter for the S2000 instead of a filter that the previous owner was using(forgot what it was called). I did the whole 7/8ths of a turn thing and even put another new PCX filter on just to be sure(bought a 5 pack from Amazon). Does Amazon sell defective shit?

Oil light goes out at the peak of the rpm spike during an overnight cold start.
Oil light goes out after rpms drop back down to idle and stays on for another 1-2 seconds after a start from sitting for 1-2 hours(this is when it stays on the longest)
Oil light goes out instantly after turning the car on right after shutting it off.

And sometimes(not always), I can see the light flicker back on very quickly for .1 second, and never ever comes back on while driving it.

Are there different variations of the PCX filter for the S2000?

After all these years, is there an explanation to what I'm experiencing?
Old 03-07-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaney
Originally Posted by cytopath' timestamp='1092541650' post='4341705
If the oil light stays on a bit longer after a hot start, consider some of the following:

No, there are no oil leaks whatsoever. My garage floor is clean. Also, the oil being 1 X below full when cold shows exactly on the FULL mark when measured hot but after sitting 1+ hours (when I've noticed this happening), so you're right in that it's definitely not sensitivity being a few X marks low.

- When hot and restarted within 1 min after turning off, the oil light turns off almost instantaneously.

- When hot and left sitting 15-20 mins, the oil light goes out rather quickly (0.3-0.5 sec), but I've seen it flicker back on (flicker = almost not enough time to light the bulb fully) once about 0.1-0.2 sec after it went out!

- When the engine is cold, I believe the oil light goes out rather quickly, but I'll need to confirm this tomorrow morning.

- When hot and left sitting for 1-4 hours, the oil light takes 1-2 seconds to turn off. Additional info just now: after leaving it for about 90 minutes, after it fired up I heard a fluttering sound while the light was on, which went away shortly after the light turned off. I nearly freaked out! It didn't really sound like valve ticking, even though in hindsight I think it was valve noise...

I change my oil with Mobil 1 10W30 every 3000-3750 miles, every time with a new Honda filter (the PCX 004 since it became available, P0H 305 before then).

Since I heard noise tonight at startup, I think it's an actual oil pressure problem rather than a bad sender. The oil was changed 2K miles ago and still looks somewhat clear, so I doubt the oil is deficient unless it's a bad batch of Mobil 1 (is this possible?!).

If the oil pump is not 'sealing', would that mean it would be leaking on the ground? Could it be that the oil pump is not pumping hot oil as well as before? Would that underperformance affect oiling of the engine during engine operation, or just at startup?

Is it a good assumption that the threshold for the 'idiot light' is high enough that having never come on during driving, it means that even during enthusiastic driving the oil pressure has been sufficient to fully lubricate the engine?

I have the Hondacare warranty, and will make an appoitnment with the dealer first thing Monday morning to look at the oil pump. However, I'm worried about real damage possibly having happened while the oil light has been on at startup (fluttering noise!), and during spirited driving while the oil pump has progressively been going bad. Are there tell-tale marks of such damage?

Anyone with a similar experience? I'd be surprised if I were the only one... How long are oil pumps supposed to last anyway?
I know this is a very old thread so sorry about that but I seem to be having the same EXACT symptoms that you listed. This started after I used a PCX filter for the S2000 instead of a filter that the previous owner was using(forgot what it was called). I did the whole 7/8ths of a turn thing and even put another new PCX filter on just to be sure(bought a 5 pack from Amazon). Does Amazon sell defective shit?

Oil light goes out after rpms drop back down to idle and stays on for another 1-2 seconds after a start from sitting for 1-2 hours(this is when it stays on the longest)
Oil light goes out instantly after turning the car on right after shutting it off.

And sometimes(not always), I can see the light flicker back on very quickly for .1 second, and never ever comes back on while driving it.

Go to a Honda dealer and buy a PCX filter from them and try it out, it's a cheap experiment. I suspect it is the anti-drain back valve that is leaking on the filters. I've seen Honda PCX filters on the internet with different markings than the ones I get from my dealer, not sure what is up with them, maybe old stock ?. Worst thing that happens is it acts the same, best scenario is that it performs better.

Secondly, if you know the previous owner ask them what filter they were running.

Lastly, tell us what oil you are running.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by Shaney' timestamp='1425776303' post='23531240
[quote name='cytopath' timestamp='1092541650' post='4341705']

Go to a Honda dealer and buy a PCX filter from them and try it out, it's a cheap experiment. I suspect it is the anti-drain back valve that is leaking on the filters. I've seen Honda PCX filters on the internet with different markings than the ones I get from my dealer, not sure what is up with them, maybe old stock ?. Worst thing that happens is it acts the same, best scenario is that it performs better.

Secondly, if you know the previous owner ask them what filter they were running.

Lastly, tell us what oil you are running.
[/quote]

I'll take a trip to the Honda dealership tomorrow. I'm running Royal Purple 10-30(switching to amsoil on next oil change) which my previous owner told me he was using and I never had this issue with the filter he was using. I just find it odd that every filter out of this 5 pack would do the same thing. Maybe you're right though, just an old batch that Amazon was selling for cheap.

Quick Reply: Oil light stays on 1-2 sec at startup, when hot!