S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

oil light of death!

Old 01-11-2013, 04:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

pulled the vtec solenoid. sure enough, metal shavings in the screen...

Old 01-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry to hear! Looks like its time for a new engine.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000ths

Might wanna start looking for a new short block.. Drop the pan and expect the worse. Sorry bro
Old 01-11-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Sorry to say it's likely dead. That's about the same amount of material I had at the vtec solenoid screen, you can expect your oil pan to look like mine. On an unrelated side note it is odd to see Hondabond on the vtec solenoid gasket.

When you get that much bearing material spitting out it can clog the oil pick up screen which then leads to scuffed cylinders in addition to bearing and crank damage.

You can try to determine if it is rod bearing material or main bearing, but when you get that much material the crankshaft is going to be scuffed and it is cheaper to get a used block/motor, especially if the cylinders have been damaged. Sorry about your loss, I know how it feels, it's enough to make you sick.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:44 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

fawkkkkk!!!!!!!!! Did you have a recent track day? Do you have a baffled oil pan? Im thinking with your setup/wing (assuming your a decent driver), maybe your pulling enough g's to run dry in some areas of the turn???

*after reading this i just went ahead and checked my oil level as well
Old 01-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 553 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by apme123' timestamp='1357935781' post='22261071
that sux dude, are you using the original oil filter?
no, it's not an OEM filter. i'd have to look at it to see the brand.

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I am so anal about keeping the oil topped off to the full mark at all times, I never let it get more then 1/4q low, max. Guys that regularly let their oil run 1-2 quarts low are causing accumulative damage without question. Who knows what state your motor truly is in from behnd the computer here, but clearly something isnt right if your oil light is coming on with a full oil level now. The first issue if your lucky is oil pump is starting to go out. Worst case scenario, you let your car run dry too many times and you now have bearing blocking the oil pick up and causing lack of oil pressure. I would do an oil change asap, look at the oil that comes out and especially the oil filter contents. If you find no signs of engine damage then pull the pan and check there. The fact that your motor sounds like a VW is not encouraging.
the first time i checked the oil after buying the car it wasn't even registering on the dipstick. needless to say the first thing i did was get an oil change. i could do an oil change now to try and diagnose the problem but am i doing more damage by driving it?
Ouch

Well you could be if the oil pump is going out and cant keep the oil pressure up. I would not drive it at all until I got to the bottom of whats going on, because yes there is a chance you could ruin your engine if it is otherwise salvageable. Good luck
Old 01-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Community Organizer

Received 553 Likes on 505 Posts

Ahh man, didn't see this before I just posted. That is a sure tale. Bummer
Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Like S2000junky said earlier, the damage was likely done in the past from the car being run low on oil on probably more than one occassion. Unfortunately the damage can show up at a later time when you don't expect it.

My motor self-destructed on a leisurely drive last year, a well respected Honda race motor builder told me that my damage was likely started a long time before the actual motor let go, it just takes time to manifest itself and go to crap. This doesn't help with your immediate situation, but I know how you can rack your brains over the incident trying to figure out what happened, it can drive you crazy if you let it.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:14 PM

just drained the oil and then poured it off. definitely some shavings remaining but nothing crazy. poked around in the oil pan with a magnet and pulled out a few more bits but nothing huge. didn't actually pull the oil pan but i'm sure there is more junk in there.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:19 PM

honestly, i'm a little stunned right now. i drove my car hard and tracked it regularly but treated it with nothing but respect and maintained it very well. totally sucks that it might have just been some neglect by the previous owner(s). i bought it with 80k miles and it had three previous owners. i've had it for about 14 months and have put 16k miles on it and a good $7,000 in mods and work. i was looking forward to another 100,000 miles on this thing....

Quick Reply: oil light of death!