S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

oil light of death!

Old 01-11-2013, 11:42 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Check both sides of the stick, not the drivers side. Confirm both sides are the same.

If it is show on the stick, it is near impossible to damage the engine.

I would immediately change the oil, and see if the TCT relief valve backed out and is sitting in the oil pan. I would also change the oil filter.

Reach in with a pen magnet and see if you pull anything out.

Trust me I've seen your issue before.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by apme123
that sux dude, are you using the original oil filter?
no, it's not an OEM filter. i'd have to look at it to see the brand.

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I am so anal about keeping the oil topped off to the full mark at all times, I never let it get more then 1/4q low, max. Guys that regularly let their oil run 1-2 quarts low are causing accumulative damage without question. Who knows what state your motor truly is in from behnd the computer here, but clearly something isnt right if your oil light is coming on with a full oil level now. The first issue if your lucky is oil pump is starting to go out. Worst case scenario, you let your car run dry too many times and you now have bearing blocking the oil pick up and causing lack of oil pressure. I would do an oil change asap, look at the oil that comes out and especially the oil filter contents. If you find no signs of engine damage then pull the pan and check there. The fact that your motor sounds like a VW is not encouraging.
the oil level has never cleared the low mark on my watch but i bought the car with 80k miles on it so who knows what it's seen. the first time i checked the oil after buying the car it wasn't even registering on the dipstick. needless to say the first thing i did was get an oil change. i could do an oil change now to try and diagnose the problem but am i doing more damage by driving it? it's just parked on the street near my friend's place right now...
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Check both sides of the stick, not the drivers side. Confirm both sides are the same.

If it is show on the stick, it is near impossible to damage the engine.

I would immediately change the oil, and see if the TCT relief valve backed out and is sitting in the oil pan. I would also change the oil filter.

Reach in with a pen magnet and see if you pull anything out.

Trust me I've seen your issue before.
the passenger side always reads a little higher but the lowest reading i got yesterday was just a hair below the low mark.

so, if it's not the oil level then what would cause the lack of oil pressure?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad bearing? Probably would be more evident though
Old 01-11-2013, 02:00 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Sorry to say that your story sounds exactly like my experience. The VW sounding engine can be from scuffed cylinders. The oil pressure light at idle is going to be dead main bearings, or if you are lucky it could be bad rod bearings. Willing to bet your oil pan is full of bearing material. You are likely getting some roughness/vibration as you engage the clutch correct ?. Pull off the vtec solenoid and check the screen for metal material, easy enough first step.

I don't mean to ruin your day but just trying to be realistic.
You won't be able to drive that thing anymore. Your story mimic's mine and it resulted in blown main bearings, scuffed cylinders, and scuffed crankshaft = need for a new engine.

Hoping you don't find this in your oil pan like I did

Name:  IMG_1054.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  116.0 KB
Old 01-11-2013, 02:16 PM

fuuuuu... doesn't sound good. I gonna drain the oil tonight and see what I find.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000ths
fuuuuu... doesn't sound good. I gonna drain the oil tonight and see what I find.
You'd be surprised how much metal remains in the pan and doesn't drain with the oil but start with the oil dump, and pull the vtec solenoid ( only 3 bolts). If you find metal at the vtec solenoid screen you can bet it is everywhere below. Keep us posted.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

found a counter seat at the local diner and had a tuna sandwich, fries, and a side salad. and of course some watered down coffee.
I often wonder when I see posts like this with this sort of information, how it lends to the diagnosis of the problem at hand?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Stupid question, but do you wipe the dipstick off before taking a reading? An oil film can accumulate on the dipstick and give a higher reading than actual, i.e. what looks like 1qt low can be 2qt low, etc.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by xviper
found a counter seat at the local diner and had a tuna sandwich, fries, and a side salad. and of course some watered down coffee.
I often wonder when I see posts like this with this sort of information, how it lends to the diagnosis of the problem at hand?
it helps you diagnose whether or not your sense of humor is still in tact. to be honest, i'm a little worried about you.

Originally Posted by LeonV
Stupid question, but do you wipe the dipstick off before taking a reading? An oil film can accumulate on the dipstick and give a higher reading than actual, i.e. what looks like 1qt low can be 2qt low, etc.
yeah, i usually dip and wipe about a half dozen times until i get a clear reading with no drips or smears on the stick.

anyway, just limped it back home and going to drain the oil soon...

Quick Reply: oil light of death!