S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

oil light of death!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default oil light of death!

after some normal freeway driving i stopped for lunch. as i parked the oil light came on. seemed odd but i decided to check it after i ate. found a counter seat at the local diner and had a tuna sandwich, fries, and a side salad. and of course some watered down coffee. i went back out to the parking lot and checked my oil. sure enough it was just below the bottom mark on the dip stick. ok, before you start kicking me in the balls... yes, i check my oil regularly. yes, i vtec the crap out of my car errry day. and yes, it's been this low before but with no issues or oil lights. anyway, i add a quart. check the level. everything is groovy. i get back on the road and now there is no vtec, my car sounds like a cross between a monster truck and VW bus, and every time i come to a stop light and drop to an idle the oil light flickers and then come on. the second i touch the throttle it goes out then comes back on at idle. obviously my oil pressure is low but adding oil didn't help. bad oil pump? did i kill my engine?! should i be scared to drive it home? and yes, the tuna sandwich was actually really good.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

1 quart of oil is definitely not low enough to do anything. I think when people lose oil pressure from low oil they are 3+ quarts of oil low.

But as most say, once you've seen the oil light it is usually too lake.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 AM

so i guess the question is what else causes low oil pressure aside from not enough oil?

also, just went and check my level again. looks like i'm down a half quart already since yesterday...
Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Did you check it both times at the same engine temp or when engine cold? Can vary quite a bit depending on when you check from my experience. Also are you checking both sides of the dipsticks each time? Each side can read differently. I always go by the lowest side.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:11 AM

checked it warm yesterday and cold today. i always go by the driver's side(lower side) of the dipstick. at this point the oil level is in the normal range but oil pressure is not there.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the oil pan to check for debris like chunks of your main bearings. I bet you'll find them in there.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Reapur
Pull the oil pan to check for debris like chunks of your main bearings. I bet you'll find them in there.
geez, don't say that! how could i have done that kind of damage only down one quart of oil?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sux dude, are you using the original oil filter?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Community Organizer

Received 553 Likes on 505 Posts

I am so anal about keeping the oil topped off to the full mark at all times, I never let it get more then 1/4q low, max. Guys that regularly let their oil run 1-2 quarts low are causing accumulative damage without question. Who knows what state your motor truly is in from behnd the computer here, but clearly something isnt right if your oil light is coming on with a full oil level now. The first issue if your lucky is oil pump is starting to go out. Worst case scenario, you let your car run dry too many times and you now have bearing blocking the oil pick up and causing lack of oil pressure. I would do an oil change asap, look at the oil that comes out and especially the oil filter contents. If you find no signs of engine damage then pull the pan and check there. The fact that your motor sounds like a VW is not encouraging.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 553 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000ths
Originally Posted by Reapur' timestamp='1357933578' post='22260972
geez, don't say that! how could i have done that kind of damage only down one quart of oil?
The bottom of the dip stick is closer to 2 quarts, not one. The bottom of the x marks is 1q

Quick Reply: oil light of death!