S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil light on, CEL P1259

Old 09-19-2015, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil light on, CEL P1259

First post on here, bought my first s2k about a month with 140k miles did an oil change second day i had the car changed the TCT, changed pressure siwtch that is next to the oil filter also, after a few days i noticed the oil light flickering off and on when i come to a stop light but once i give it some gas it goes away. Car was parked for a while bought it off a guy in the navy so it just sat there. Any help on this would be much appreciated
Old 09-19-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Not a good sign. A flickering oil light usually means your bearings are shot. I would get your oil pressure tested right away. Don't drive it until you figure out the problem.

It's also possible you have a problem with your oil pump, but there have been lots of members with worn bearings that had to either rebuild their engine or get a new one. Do a search.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44
Not a good sign. A flickering oil light usually means your bearings are shot. I would get your oil pressure tested right away. Don't drive it until you figure out the problem.

It's also possible you have a problem with your oil pump, but there have been lots of members with worn bearings that had to either rebuild their engine or get a new one. Do a search.
Thanks for your response, me and a friend are gonna change the pump today or tomorrow that was his first thought about the light being on, because the car does run good and sound good besides that oil light being on
Old 09-19-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nestors2k
Originally Posted by slalom44' timestamp='1442696230' post='23752049

Thanks for your response, me and a friend are gonna change the pump today or tomorrow that was his first thought about the light being on, because the car does run good and sound good besides that oil light being on
Drop the pan and inspect the bearings before going to that trouble & expense. Toasted bearings are MUCH more common than a faulty oil pump, in fact I've never heard of a faulty oil pump on our engines (though I'm sure it has happened sometime).
Old 09-19-2015, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Originally Posted by Nestors2k' timestamp='1442696548' post='23752051
[quote name='slalom44' timestamp='1442696230' post='23752049']

Drop the pan and inspect the bearings before going to that trouble & expense. Toasted bearings are MUCH more common than a faulty oil pump, in fact I've never heard of a faulty oil pump on our engines (though I'm sure it has happened sometime).
[/quote]

Alright sounds good, also gonna do a pressure test before anything gets pulled off the car just for ease of mind
Old 09-19-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

could also remove the vtec solenoid and inspect its screen for debris
Old 09-19-2015, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
could also remove the vtec solenoid and inspect its screen for debris
The screen was clean I had to change out the gasket cause it was leaking oil, and the screen was clean
Old 09-19-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This doesn't always mean you're in the clear. If the mains are shredded, about the only symptoms will be a little extra vibration, but it'll run just fine. The pieces could be too big to get past the pump and up to the screen.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
This doesn't always mean you're in the clear. If the mains are shredded, about the only symptoms will be a little extra vibration, but it'll run just fine. The pieces could be too big to get past the pump and up to the screen.
So when I drop the pan, what should I be looking for, just any shavings or ?probably won't be getting to it till tomorrow
Old 09-19-2015, 04:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll see a ton of brass looking metal flakes. Unless of course the previous owner cleaned it out and such ahead of time to try and ditch the car quick, but I don't see him going through the hassle of removing the pan and such. Even just one or two flakes will confirm our suspicions. Many other flakes could've come out when you did your oil change, and possibly when he did others in the past as well.

Quick Reply: Oil light on, CEL P1259