S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil light came on..

Old 09-20-2006, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil light came on..

Driving to work in stop and go traffic today, I had to brake hard and the oil light came on for a split second. I immediately pulled off the freeway and checked the oil. I was below L. I had to fill up 3 quarts to fill it up. Last oil change was probably 4 months ago. Since then the car has almost never been vtec-ed and driven about 3,000 miles.

So, knowing I'll get flamed (deservedly so) I want to know if I did damage. Should I open up the engine? The car drove fine after I filled up, but I babyed it the entire way back. I had to fill it 10W40 as that was the only available option at the gas station.

More info: I had my clutch replaced about 1 month ago, and ever since I've noticed a vibration when I lightly give it some gas. Usually when idling in traffic. I don't know if its related to low engine pressure or not, but now my mind is thinking the worst.

I have a 2 day track event planned for next weekend and now I'm not sure if I should go. I'm expecting a case of Amsoil 10W30 to come, should I flush out the oil first before I change to Amsoil?

And last question, should I drive home or have the car towed? The car was fine on the drive here. No smoke, no odd idling. I think the car is fine, but from previous threads I've searched on here, the consensus is that when the oil lights comes on it's too late .
Old 09-20-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man, I feel your pain. I bought my S back in June and had the oil changed immediately. After ~2500 miles, I read some threads about checking oil level. I go outside and check, 1.9 qts low! DOH!

I felt terrible for the whole week.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:03 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

3 quarts to get to the top X means (IIRC) 2 quarts to get to the low X.
So you were 2 quarts low.
Still not good, sounds a little better

Maybe do a used oil analysis (yes, flush the oil to do that) and see how much wear metals they find?
If the shavings come flowing out of the drain and/or filter (maybe open the filter up to see?)... you have your answer
Don't feel so bad about 10W-40, both numbers are in (the European) manual.
(10W-30 and 5W-40)
Change the filter as well IMO.

You were braking when it happened, right?
All the oil (or what was left of it ... ) flowed forward leaving the pump dry as a bone
What revs? Do you remember?
If it all happened at low revs, low engine load and as you mentioned for a split second.. you may be ok

The damage (if there was any) was done while running low on oil pressure.
Filling it up doesn't fix anything.
You allready drove the car afterwards.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll second the recomendation to change your oil and do a used oil analysis on what you take out. That will tell you if there are exxcessive wear metals.

If the engine os operating normally and the UOA shows normal wear, you will know that you were lucky.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Ek9
Banned

Drive it and hope for the best.

I wouldn't go anything other than check the oil more often. You either F'd it up or you didn't. If you didn't, then just keep driving. If you did, you'll find out eventually when you get a rod knock or misfire code on cylinder #4.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ek9,Sep 20 2006, 03:15 PM
Drive it and hope for the best.

I wouldn't go anything other than check the oil more often. You either F'd it up or you didn't. If you didn't, then just keep driving. If you did, you'll find out eventually when you get a rod knock or misfire code on cylinder #4.
I'd do the UOA still. I'd rather know about a problem that I'm going to have to fix than to be unsure of the problem, plus it's worth some peace of mind.

However, undo no load, low rpm, for just a second or so, I wouldn't be too concerned. I'd still send in the UOA though.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll do the UOA and hope for the best. The light came on for a flash, did not even stay on for a whole second. It happened under moderately hard braking at low revs. I was probably going 25 - 30 mph in 3rd.

Any ideas on whether the vibration is related to the low oil level?
Old 09-20-2006, 03:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have it on good authority that there have been 2 S2000s that ran with as little as 2 qts left in the oilpan (no names mentioned). Both were supercharged and it has been many, many tens of thousands of miles later and both cars are still running just fine. It all depends on whether or not you "bagged on" the car for extended periods of time when it was low on oil. The oil light likely flickered for the reasons that Spitfire gave and also because your rpm likely dropped dramatically below idle during that manouver. The vibration you felt may also be related to the dipping idle. Do an analysis if you care to, but just drive on. You may be surprised at just how tough this little engine really is.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:43 PM

Happend to me also.. i wasnt so lucky. Cost me a new motor!
Old 09-20-2006, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lude92_si,Sep 20 2006, 03:43 PM
Happend to me also.. i wasnt so lucky. Cost me a new motor!
do you know how low you were?

Quick Reply: Oil light came on..