S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil light blinking + Rattling Sound on high RPM

Old 02-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait on ordering that replacement engine. I'd say it's your oil pump. Check your compression. If it is OK, replace the pump and see how the car does. If it works...you have saved yourself several thousand dirham...if it doesn't then you're not out that much more money compared to what you are going to spend on a new motor + install.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:54 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Its got a rattle though, it needs inspecting. Compression might still be ok, but a bearing may be shot.

Fixing the oil pump (if it is just that) wont fix the rattle if its from the engine.

And if it does go pop it could do even more damage.

MB
Old 02-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The oil pump can rattle when it goes bad (the impeller bearing). When a rod bearing goes bad it will make a thumping sound (rod knock).
Old 02-18-2007, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

I got the report, two table spoon of bearing meshes inside the oil sump. My crank bearings are gone. Either i can repair it or get a new engine.

I have with me a total loss car which i had bought from a scrap yard. RHD from Japan, it has full engine and gear in it. I will use that engine which is higher compression and 10 hp more compared what we get here. JDM engine runs on 100 octane fuel i hope i wont have any troubles there? I will use my current intake manifold on the new (slightly used) engine.

Currently i am double minds. I have few queries:

- If i put the JDM spec engine, what are the draw backs (We get 98 octane here)
- If i put the JDM spec engine, will my stock ECU is ok or i shall install the JDM ECU as well? Dont have the key!
- My current ECU is with VAFC II tuned for the mods i have, shall i do a retune with the new engine?

anything else i should swap, look into and all?
Old 02-18-2007, 11:47 PM
MB

Hmmm, suspected as much

You will have a few issues with the JDM engine unless you use its ECU too.

The JDM engine doesnt have the VTEC pressure switch if I remember rightly. I helped a guy out the other day with this - he had to get an oil pressure switch from an EU / US engine and wire it into the ECU as it wouldnt go into VTEC and had error codes. The JDM block has a blanking plug for the switch so it can be easily fitted.

The fuelling will be fine whatever ECU you use, the knock sensor will adjust timing to suit. We have 98 octane int he UK and JDM engines run fine on it. I think the JDM engine has 2 knock sensors rather than 1 also.

Only issue you might have with the JDM ECU is your immobiliser may not work with it.

If your VAFC is set for the old engine and ECU, it will need resetting and adjusting for any new engine / ECU that goes in.

PS - was there any debris in the throttle body / intake? I would be VERY careful about having that thoroughly cleaned. If anything was spat back up into that area, it might not be visible but will cause damage if you put it onto a new engine and debris gets sucked in.

Are your pistons etc all good?

MB
Old 02-19-2007, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the OEM JDM ECU has the immobilizer so that may not even be an issue.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:43 AM
MB

Yep but if you use it on a US car which has immobiliser then it wont start.

MB
Old 02-19-2007, 12:57 AM

We have imobliser on our car as standard option. Lets see, I am sure the dealership can play around. I am just changing the block and head so i think it will be the mechanical parts more or less. But what MB has posted i will show it to the dealership so that they can look into it.

And yes all the parts will be cleaned and installed.

And about the old engine which is blown, i dont know whats the status of the piston and other parts, but they are saying its 99% ok. I am sending it TODA by march begining to get it rebuild and bring it back.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:02 AM

And if i use the JDM ECU, i hope i dont have speed limiters and all that shit.

I would recon using my stock ECU and tune the VAFC II on it. The only issue with Vtec pressure switch, which i can install from my old engine. To me it is more like a mechanical job. but i am sure there will different stuff in both engines, hence i will forward all this information to Honda Dealership.

Really appreiciate the help from you guys.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Feb 19 2007, 01:43 AM
Yep but if you use it on a US car which has immobiliser then it wont start.

MB
EDIT: My mistake.

Quick Reply: Oil light blinking + Rattling Sound on high RPM