S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil light blinking + Rattling Sound on high RPM

Old 02-18-2007, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil light blinking + Rattling Sound on high RPM

Hello guys,

Normally i don
Old 02-18-2007, 02:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blinking oil = momentary loss of oil pressure. How does the dipstick read? On the surface it would seem you are low on oil. As far as the rattling goes I have read where others had a piece of the honeycomb/catalyst break loose in the catalytic converter and cause an annoying rattle.
EDIT: I missed you checked the oil and it's fine, sorry I should have read that a little more carefully.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:09 AM

Thanks SendreGreen... the oil level on the dip stick is even higher than max, will remove some oil.

and for the rattle, i think thats what it is to do with mesh, i will install my spoon N1 single and remove the T1R to see if thats what it is. I feel the rattle in my foot (clutch pedal) if i change gear within the ratle range (above 4000 rpm). So thinking it could be the clutch, but gears are all fine, engaging well and launching good also.

So what do you think that oil light blinks at Idle only? the moment i give it a bit of throttle it goes away.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by umair_k,Feb 18 2007, 03:09 AM
Thanks SendreGreen... the oil level on the dip stick is even higher than max, will remove some oil.

and for the rattle, i think thats what it is to do with mesh, i will install my spoon N1 single and remove the T1R to see if thats what it is. I feel the rattle in my foot (clutch pedal) if i change gear within the ratle range (above 4000 rpm). So thinking it could be the clutch, but gears are all fine, engaging well and launching good also.

So what do you think that oil light blinks at Idle only? the moment i give it a bit of throttle it goes away.
Others with the rattle have crawled under the car and lightly tapped with a small hammer on the cat to find/isolate the rattle. May be easier than swapping exhausts until you figure it out for sure. I don't really know enough to be much help on the oil light.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:19 AM

Swapping the exhaust is no issues, got own lift and tools. so will do that, but if that is the problem then i am safe! and cannot hammer the cat to see if the rattle is from in there because i dont have a cat, its a custom straight pipe. no converters install. I think it could be the mesh inside the back box, will check.

Need some input on the light blinking even now after the track, full night rest to the car . But it blinks blinks blinks the moment i rev off it goes.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:19 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Low oil pressure at idle isnt good. It is probably going away when you blip the throttle as the pressure increases slightly.

Power loss on VTEC is very likely to be low oil pressure related.

I would be worrying the rattle is coming from the engine in all honesty. I certainly wouldnt be driving the car until you get it investigated. It would seem probable that there is some damage given your low oil pressure.

Having you oil too high up the dipstick can cause damage too.

Not sure what relevance an oil catch can or sump would have?

A baffled sump is a good idea on a track car, as it prevents oil starvation / surge under hard cornering.

An oil catch can stops oil from the breather on the head, getting back into the intake. A wise mod for a track car, as is an oil cooler...

MB
Old 02-18-2007, 02:24 AM

Car is at the dealership already, they are checking it, i dont trust the mechanics though.

Oil pressure they will check. lets asume that rattle is from engine, what could rattle from inside the engine? Both of these things are bothering me... Oil light blinking and the rattle.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:28 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Well if its suffered from oil starvation from low oil pressure, you could have caused bearing damage etc. It only takes a few seconds of no oil, and things get very hot very quickly.

Get them to tell you the idle oil pressure.

PS - an oil pressure gauge with alarm is a good mod on a track car too! Can save your engine...

On the other hand you might be lucky and just have an electrical fault causing the oil light to pop on, and the rattle may be something else - but it seems far too conincidental

MB
Old 02-18-2007, 02:45 AM

Just spoke to them, oil pressure is way to low at idle, and even at 3000 rpm the oil pressure is low .

He has said that start looking for another engine.

They will open the sump and check the damage from under the engine before they open apart the whole car.

On the other side i had bought a cancelled S2K long back in which the engine is intact and rest all gone, have the engine, gear and ECU. Dont know how good it is but lets see. I dont want to reach that point still.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:18 AM

I agree that this sounds like an engine problem. I don't believe this is related at all to a problem with the exhaust or gearbox. I think the dealership reaffirmed that for us as well. I'm curious to know what oil you were running?

Quick Reply: Oil light blinking + Rattling Sound on high RPM