S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Light

Old 07-05-2008, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Light

I was drifting my car yesterday when I saw the oil light come on. It just blinked once. I didn't know how serious the light was, and I thought it was because of the G forces, so I continued. I checked the oil at night and got the oil level back to the middle of L and H with 1 full qt of oil. Today morning, I noticed that the oil level dropped back below L (cold car)! I had to add 1.5 qts of oil to get it to the H. I'm really worried the engine got damaged because I lost 2 qts of oil after about 100 miles of driving since last night when the oil level was between L and H.

As far as I know, the oil light that means your engine didn't have enough oil pressure and most likely, the engine probably got damaged.

I would like to know all possible specific damages and wear that could result from what happened to me. I'm thinking about getting a oil pressure test, compression test, and leak down test. But I want to know if there is anything other engine damage I should be suspicious of. And most importantly, if I DID screw up my engine, would an engine rebuild fix everything that could've got damaged? Because this is what I am thinking of doing since I am the the 2nd new owner of the car (just hit 70k miles now), and I want to start with a fresh motor

The last time I checked the oil was about a month ago and I'm a new S2K owner so I had no idea that the S2K could lose oil so quickly. I've learned my lesson though!

Does it mean the engine is fine as long as I don't hear any abnormal noises from the engine?
Old 07-05-2008, 02:51 PM

The crank and rod bearings would be the first to go if you oil starve your motor. Best bet would be to take off the oil pan and see if there are metal shavings in there. If theres shavings then its time for a rebuild. If not then you should be fine. Oil starvation wouldnt affect compression and leakdown.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:16 PM

Fast forward 10,000 miles and 5 track days later, 1 autocross, and 1 drift event...

My engine is still fine and strong but I still suspect some bottom end damage due to this slight kocking sound that could be heard only at low idle.

Here is a video of a guy with the same sound: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3391852&hl=en#

And here is the thread from which it came from: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=482282&st=0

You can hear the knocking sound I'm talking about in the video whenever the revs start to drop. But since I have been through 5 track days and 10,000 miles since the oil light incident, with no obvious problems, does it mean the engine is fine?

I'm just worried the slight knocking sound is from the accelerated wear from the oil light blinking. In other words, is the sound an indication that my bearings are about to go out?