S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

oil light

Old 01-28-2015, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
So, either you damaged the rod bearings due to oil starvation, or you didn't. These oil sample tests everyone is discussing is one way to know.

If damage did occur, if you can find someone that knows how to do this, and most mechanics don't, you can polish the crank and replace the bearings, with the engine in the car. Not too expensive.

Vs waiting and seeing, which would be waiting to see if you get rod knock (a loud, knocking sound from deep inside the motor, most pronounced at idle). If you hear this, and stop motor immediately, it still may be possible to fix, but this means more damage has been done.
Hey man thanks for the reply at first I thought I was completely screwed. I was wondering if this is a for sure fix or not. Also wondering how much u think I should pay for this.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:59 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Start with the used oil sample - something like $30 est ?, from Blackstone labs, if it comes back clear you don't have to go any further.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:24 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

If you didn't VTEC the engine during the entire period (from a few days before the oil light flickered until your oil change), I believe you will be fine.

For the record, the slightest flicker of that light after the car has been started is very bad.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm amazed at the number of times members have posted...so and so light came on and I thought nothing of it and continued to drive.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by james0933
I'm amazed at the number of times members have posted...so and so light came on and I thought nothing of it and continued to drive.
I'm new to cars man and I'm sure some others members we're too. The light never stayed on it flashed on and as soon as it did I started researching.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Start with the used oil sample - something like $30 est ?, from Blackstone labs, if it comes back clear you don't have to go any further.
Ok thanks ill start with that
Old 01-29-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Go with Blackstone and explain the situation with all the details (low oil, drained, refilled, x miles, drained/sampled). They will provide very helpful feedback. My guess is you will have some elevated lead and iron, I would expect this given your situation, regardless of if it proves to be catostrophic as low oil will always = some increased wear. The question is was the wear significant enough to cause failure and Blackstone will be able to give you some idea, although they may need a followup from another change. I think if you have copper or a very significant amount of lead you may have issues, I would say elevated copper would deffinately be bad.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Go with Blackstone and explain the situation with all the details (low oil, drained, refilled, x miles, drained/sampled). They will provide very helpful feedback. My guess is you will have some elevated lead and iron, I would expect this given your situation, regardless of if it proves to be catostrophic as low oil will always = some increased wear. The question is was the wear significant enough to cause failure and Blackstone will be able to give you some idea, although they may need a followup from another change. I think if you have copper or a very significant amount of lead you may have issues, I would say elevated copper would deffinately be bad.
Alright thanks a lot man i really appreciate all the help from everyone I think anyone who buys an s2k should definitely Know about this forum
Old 01-30-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by aumhra1496
Originally Posted by bgoetz' timestamp='1422588306' post='23486924
Alright thanks a lot man i really appreciate all the help from everyone I think anyone who buys an s2k should definitely Know about this forum
You got that right. Two things every S2000 owner needs to know is how to read the dipstick on this vehicle, and to check oil levels at every fuel fill. Both items can lead to a dead engine if not followed properly and it is very different than other cars.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:19 PM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

BTW, for reading clean oil on the dipstick, try glass beading the end or even sand a little to help the oil stand out.

Quick Reply: oil light