S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Life Light

Old 10-12-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/885...il-life-reset/
Old 10-13-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by 08S2000
.....One thing I was considering is to change the oil filter around OLI=50%.....
You don't have to change the oil filter at 50% of oil life. If your oil filter is loading up with crap out of your engine you need more than a new oil filter. Heck, even Honda says to go "two oil changes" on "one" oil filter for the S. The oil filter, just like the air cleaner cleans better the longer it is on the car. I go 15k to 16k on my oil filter on my '06 and my UOA's are just fine.

ROD
Old 10-13-2013, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
Originally Posted by 08S2000' timestamp='1381384301' post='22820197
.....One thing I was considering is to change the oil filter around OLI=50%.....
You don't have to change the oil filter at 50% of oil life. If your oil filter is loading up with crap out of your engine you need more than a new oil filter. Heck, even Honda says to go "two oil changes" on "one" oil filter for the S. The oil filter, just like the air cleaner cleans better the longer it is on the car. I go 15k to 16k on my oil filter on my '06 and my UOA's are just fine.

ROD
Good to know that you change the oil filter at 15k miles and your UOAs are fine. I will stop my consideration since your UOAs are fine. By the way, when I change my oil filter, it is not loaded with crap.

What is your normal OCI and how is your S driven with what kind of oil (dino/synthetic)?
Old 10-13-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

I didn't think you would find any crap in your filter, but it is a good idea to open them up and see if you do find anything in it.

I run synthetic oil and a oversize filter. This Baldwin filter had a little over 15k miles on it when I changed it out. When I took it apart it was clean as can be.
http://s949.photobucket.com/user/rro...?sort=2&page=1

I drive my S on small backcountry roads with grades up to 26% and temps. up into the low 100's. We have put over 80k miles on this S in the last three years and it has taken all of it in stride, but hey it's a Honda. This car is made to be driven, so that is what we do.

ROD
Old 10-14-2013, 03:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

sweet, nice to know oil filter needs to be changed every other oil change. could help save some money. Thanks ROD
Old 10-14-2013, 04:18 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Notice the number of stars under Utah's name? He's been here quite some time (so have I BTW).

My AP1 doesn't have a mileage based service light either. If my oil light were to light up it would be telling me my oil pressure was low and I'd better shut off the engine quick smart, not that the service centre could use some more money.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:42 AM

I didn't think you would find any crap in your filter, but it is a good idea to open them up and see if you do find anything in it.

I run synthetic oil and a oversize filter. This Baldwin filter had a little over 15k miles on it when I changed it out. When I took it apart it was clean as can be.

I drive my S on small backcountry roads with grades up to 26% and temps. up into the low 100's. We have put over 80k miles on this S in the last three years and it has taken all of it in stride, but hey it's a Honda. This car is made to be driven, so that is what we do.

ROD
Thank you for sharing. I saw your photos and the baldwin over-sized filter is about twice as the oem filter.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by AusS2000
Notice the number of stars under Utah's name? He's been here quite some time (so have I BTW).

My AP1 doesn't have a mileage based service light either. If my oil light were to light up it would be telling me my oil pressure was low and I'd better shut off the engine quick smart, not that the service centre could use some more money.
Yup. Lots of stars. I used to get those in school and they made me happy. Made me even laugh sometimes. Laughing is a good thing. I'm not sure what that has to do with much, but smiling and laughing and lots of stars are probably all good things.

Your car doesn't have the percentage notification which the OP specifically asked about then, right? His title mentioned a light, but based on the entirety of his post (not just the part that mentions a light), what he fully meant was about the oil life (the percentage remaining) and the nifty little wrench light (Maintenance Minder) that comes up on the dash. Not a check engine light or an Oil light.

Now, it would appear, based on your commentary, that your model year doesn't have the wrench light (admittedly, that's an assumption based only on your commentary), so the comment that the AP1 wrench light wouldn't pertain to your car. And, as you have pointed out, if a light comes on on your dashboard, you will have to deal with it differently than what the OP asked about which was the Maintenance Minder light regarding oil life.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...606O00132A.pdf
It says it takes into account operating conditions and accumulated engine RPMs. So basically, identical cars driven in different environments and in different styles (for example, track conditions versus never hitting VTEC ever) would yield different oil life rates. This is what I meant by driving style. The manner, or style if you will, in which I drive my car would likely yield different oil life rates in the maintenance minder than on a car driven in a more conservative manner.

I'm not sure why this is so funny, but I'm glad that it's got people amused. Smiling and laughing is all good stuff.

Originally Posted by fastnfurious14
I have a 2006 s2000, I wasnt sure I have the oil life 15% notification and I wasnt sure if they have a sensor in there that actually measures the oil life or is it just based on the trip a and b on your dash? basically do i really have to change my oil because I believe its kind of early for a oil change. Thanks alot guys
Old 10-15-2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 08S2000

ROD
Thank you for sharing. I saw your photos and the baldwin over-sized filter is about twice as the oem filter.
right which imo is overkill....I have over 160k on two s200s ...oem filters all the way , I change them at about 10 k...not one issue to date.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:27 PM

thats nice to know about the oil filter. So we can change the oil filter every other oil change

Quick Reply: Oil Life Light