S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil level/ L-H One Diamond = ? ml oil

Old 06-28-2021, 02:29 AM

Received 316 Likes on 226 Posts

I never had a Car or Motorcycle where the oil quantitiy given in the manual is correct. After a oil change, I allways take my time and fill oil in it gradually until the dipstick or gauge show that it´s full.
The oil capacitiy prinzted in the manual is allways only a rough estimate for me how much oil i should buy.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:52 AM

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
BTW... 1/5th quart = 6.4 fluid oz ~ 192 ml. [at Earth's surface, 1-atm pressure, for those really anal out there].
This. I keep a measuring cup in the trunk. When the dipstick shows 1 X down, I know exactly how much to put in to make it a perfect top off, no more guessing, no eyeballing, it's exactly perfect every time. (measuring cup has increments of 100 mL)

Old 06-28-2021, 04:47 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Proper oil level is right in the middle of the xxxxx.

Those who run their oil at the H (high) will constantly burn off the top two diamonds due to crankshaft windage.

The burn rate of the remaining 3 diamonds will be much slower. You will also eliminate smoke on track.

So many guys wasting their efforts with catch cans and oil types. Right in the middle is where it belongs.
The following 6 users liked this post by Billman250:
dwb993 (06-28-2021), ExitSpeedPhoto (12-09-2023), freddydela (06-28-2021), Jah2000 (07-01-2021), Just Guy (07-02-2021), rpg51 (06-28-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-28-2021, 05:38 AM

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts

@billman Prior to oil consumption I would concur, but different situations will require different solutions. For those whose cars are now burning oil (I consume 1 qt per oil change after 15 years of never burning one single drop of oil, 2 years of threads and no resolution I give up, she now burns oil) keeping it at the middle is a dangerous move when you know it consumes, and I'm going to be constantly filling it up as it approaches the L if it's in the middle. Considering this is also my daily driver and I don't track it, I'm going to keep it at the top of the H for a myriad of reasons and I don't see crankshaft windage as a problem with this type of application. I do see keeping it in the middle and then burning 1-2 quarts while doing spirited driving on the highway, run the risk of easily going well below L.

And realistically how many cases of crankshaft windage do we know about in 20 years? One from that guy on the Dragon a bunch a years back but he put in one whole extra quart...not running at the top of the H.....?

Old 06-28-2021, 06:59 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I would concur that it does burn off the top part a lot faster. I have seen that on mine. I do tend to run it at the H but see Billmans points. I always check it after each 20 min track session anyways since you never know if you have a leak or some other issue that formed while out there. And I always carry oil with me to the track just in case. But I do notice that I can fill it to the H, and the first couple of ticks worth on the stick are gone fairly quickly and it then slows down considerably
Old 06-28-2021, 08:41 AM

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Interesting about the burn off. I have never tracked my 2009. I have kept the oil at the top of the xxxxs and between oil changes, 3K miles, the level does not drop. Not even one small bit. Again, no tracking so street driving does not generate much crankshaft windage apparently. However, I live in an area with a lot of 2 lane rural twisty roads where I can, very safely, wind things up every time I drive near home and have a bit of fun with the car. Still no change in oil quantity.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:44 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I get nervous about running this particular motor low and frying the bottom end. I burn maybe 1/2 quart between oil changes. When I see it down at the middle of the diamonds I get nervous. Can't help myself. I tend to put it up to the fill line. Maybe this time I will resist.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:50 AM

Received 208 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
I get nervous about running this particular motor low and frying the bottom end. I burn maybe 1/2 quart between oil changes. When I see it down at the middle of the diamonds I get nervous. Can't help myself. I tend to put it up to the fill line. Maybe this time I will resist.
U and me both. I religiously check my oil level every time I drive the car then always aim for that H mark. I'll try to resist this time too lol
Then again I really like filling the engine with oil
Old 07-01-2021, 08:28 AM

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
U and me both. I religiously check my oil level every time I drive the car then always aim for that H mark. I'll try to resist this time too lol
Then again I really like filling the engine with oil
I have noticed scientifically that the car runs better with an oil change, full gas tank, and a fresh wash/wax!
The following users liked this post:
rpg51 (07-02-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 11:37 AM

Received 4,238 Likes on 3,299 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Proper oil level is right in the middle of the xxxxx.

Those who run their oil at the H (high) will constantly burn off the top two diamonds due to crankshaft windage.

The burn rate of the remaining 3 diamonds will be much slower. You will also eliminate smoke on track.

So many guys wasting their efforts with catch cans and oil types. Right in the middle is where it belongs.
Thanks for the info. hadn't heard this before. BTW your reputation even reaches out here to southern vermont. My buddy Artie said to me I know this guy from when I lived in Long Island he knows everything about S2000's. I said is his name Billman and he said yes it is!

Quick Reply: Oil level/ L-H One Diamond = ? ml oil