S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Level

Old 12-15-2007, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Level

When is the most accurate time to check oil level? There is obviously inconsitency between checking a few minutes after hard driving, a few minutes after normal driving, or on a cold engine. Is the rule the same as when checking tire pressure - cold engine? Thanks.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:16 PM

i believe the best time to check would be first thing in the morning before you ever start the car...cold engine
Old 12-15-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually, you want the oil to be warm. It expands when it's temperature rises. I would say 5-10 minutes after driving.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by marlonRocks,Dec 15 2007, 01:16 PM
i believe the best time to check would be first thing in the morning before you ever start the car...cold engine
Old 12-15-2007, 04:20 PM

when cold.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:08 PM

food for thought: if you check it hours upon hours (cold engine) after it was last driven, you would get a slightly higher reading since all that oil has had time to drip down into the oil pan.
if you check it right after a drive (hard or easy) some of that oil is still in the valve cover and have not all dripped down to the pan yet. this, in theory should give you a more accurate oil level when the engine needs it most. while operating.

example: right after a drive i check the oil level. oil level is at the "add" mark.
3 hours later i go back to check the oil after most of it has dripped to the pan. the reading on the dipstick is now in between the "add" and "full" mark.

get my point?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by jeggy,Dec 15 2007, 06:08 PM
food for thought: if you check it hours upon hours (cold engine) after it was last driven, you would get a slightly higher reading since all that oil has had time to drip down into the oil pan.
if you check it right after a drive (hard or easy) some of that oil is still in the valve cover and have not all dripped down to the pan yet. this, in theory should give you a more accurate oil level when the engine needs it most. while operating.

example: right after a drive i check the oil level. oil level is at the "add" mark.
3 hours later i go back to check the oil after most of it has dripped to the pan. the reading on the dipstick is now in between the "add" and "full" mark.

get my point?
Exactly how I feel. Now the better question is, when topping off oil, should it be done to the "full" mark when the engine is cold, or should it be done after a drive? The latter will then yield a level that will be over the full mark when checking the level on cold a engine. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your oil when your engine is cold.

Checking it when it's hot is a waste of time. There is no telling how much oil is still floating around. Who cares what the reading is when it's hot. What ever oil is in the crank case will be be distributed no matter what.

The way to tell if you "need" or should "add" oil, is when it's cold.

Tim
Old 12-15-2007, 10:17 PM

if you check it hours upon hours (cold engine) after it was last driven, you would get a slightly higher reading since all that oil has had time to drip down into the oil pan.
WRONG.

You are not getting a "Slightly Higher" reading.

You are getting an "ACCURATE" reading. Big difference.

Tim
Old 12-15-2007, 10:19 PM

Huh?.......WRONG AGAIN...

Unless you know by looking at the dipstick of a hot engine how much oil to add because you know how much oil is stuck to the internals which have yet to settle, then this is completely wrong.

Tim

Quick Reply: Oil Level