S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Leak Under Timing Chain Tensioner?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:42 PM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

I have seen the triangle shaped oring in the TCT cap split and leak.

My advice is to clean the area with brake cleaner and dry it with compressed air. PINPOINT EXACTY where the leak is originating.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:45 PM

I sent the OP a TCT with new Honda o-rings back before this thread.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a little leak there too. Not enough to form drips though.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:19 PM

I have this same issue lol. I had just installed a new TCT and noticed the leak. I also replace the VTEC solenoid gasket, because that was also leaking.

Now vtec solenoid leak is fixed. But TCT still leaking, I see oil on the lower bolt. I should post pics.
Originally Posted by Road racer
Any solutions to this problem.. I have the same issue. I replaced the VTEC solenoid gasket ( multiple-window o-ring with screen) and the TCT o-rings with factory Honda parts ( from the dealer). Still leaked.
Removed TCT & used a small amount of Permatex Silicone & torqued it back down to spec. Still leaks.

Replaced PCV valve (to eliminate any block pressure issues) and washed the engine (it's spotless now). Still leaks. With a clean engine I verified the oil is leaking from the TCT only.

Oil will collect at the bottom seam of the TCT & the block. The oil will drip off the right TCT bolt and run down to the oil drain bolt. Everything above the TCT is dry & clean.

Thoughts or suggestions? I am banging my head on the wall with this one.

Chris
Old 12-10-2011, 11:33 AM

Had the leak bottom of tct also and put a new one in since my o2 has 135K and got it at a great price online but it ended up being the oil sensor switch? leaking the oil when the plug is pulled out and it is on the side of the vtec...already had replaced vtec gasket six months ago...so you may want to look at that switch for oil leak....according to mechanic it is common place of leaking for s2000's with higher mileage...and the leak drips slowly onto the tct bolts to make it seem like it is the tct leaking...but you could have several leaks in that area...hope this helps
Old 12-10-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by harveyvickery
Had the leak bottom of tct also and put a new one in since my o2 has 135K and got it at a great price online but it ended up being the oil sensor switch? leaking the oil when the plug is pulled out and it is on the side of the vtec...already had replaced vtec gasket six months ago...so you may want to look at that switch for oil leak....according to mechanic it is common place of leaking for s2000's with higher mileage...and the leak drips slowly onto the tct bolts to make it seem like it is the tct leaking...but you could have several leaks in that area...hope this helps
by oil sensor switch, did replace the entire piece or just the o-ring to stop the leak?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:48 AM

If oil is appearing on the TCT bolt heads, check the triangle gasket under the TCT cap.

There are too many places on this engine for oil to leak in the same location and seem like its another.

You have to clean it with brake cleaner, dry it with compressed air, then start it and watch it carefully. Pinpoint the leak.

Once pinpointed, the solution will be extremely obvious.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Clean with brake cleaner, and dry with compressed air. Spray the area with some footpowder and start the engine. Look for the wet spot.

There is a dirty joke in there somewhere.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Slows2k
Clean with brake cleaner, and dry with compressed air
Originally Posted by Billman250
clean it with brake cleaner, dry it with compressed air
LOL
Old 05-18-2012, 08:45 AM

because i know people are still looking on this for the gaskets (vtec solenoid gasket is classified as a filter) so here is a link to where you can get exactly what your looking for.
http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/f...YLINDER%20HEAD

Quick Reply: Oil Leak Under Timing Chain Tensioner?