S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Leak from Timing Chain Tensioner Cover

Old 04-14-2024 | 07:26 AM
Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

The TCT is a known wear out (failure) item. Personally recommend Bill's TCT as preventive maintenance although I'm surprised your OEM TCT has survived this long. Hardly takes more time to do it then reading this thread.

Also recommend a valve adjustment. If you can't hear them they're too tight.

-- Chuck

Old 04-14-2024 | 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The TCT is a known wear out (failure) item. Personally recommend Bill's TCT as preventive maintenance although I'm surprised your OEM TCT has survived this long. Hardly takes more time to do it then reading this thread.

Also recommend a valve adjustment. If you can't hear them they're too tight.

-- Chuck
Hey Chuck,

Thank you for your input. I do have maintenance records that the valve adjustment was done by Honda at 89k miles so that's a little over 20k miles ago, should still be ok?

Also for Billman's TCT, I couldn't find a link where to buy. Is there a storefront or PM? I'm still relatively new as I just got the car and haven't been here too long so I don't think I have unlocked PM abilities yet. You guys have all been a great community already so far and I'm so glad to not only own a car I've always wanted as a kid but also can be part of this community

I hope as I become more experienced and knowledgeable with the car I can provide value back to this community too

Andy
Old 04-14-2024 | 12:56 PM
Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

Billman's TCT is sold direct. Just PM him and he'll respond. Note this is an exchange as he uses the OEM body for his unit. Follow his instructions. For example you MUST use the bolts that will come with his TCT. Using the original bolts will damage your engine block. Remove the access plug on the front of the engine, not the similar looking cam gear nut. Once the OEM air cleaner is out of the way so you can access the TCT it really is a 10 minute job -- did I write "follow the instructions?"

The 2006 cars, like yours and mine, had enough examples of burned overly tight valves for @Billman250 to publish a Warning several years ago advising the need to set them them to the Max spec and not somewhere in the middle as they tighten in use. Setting the exhaust "a thousandth over" (to 0.012") is frequently recommended. It's an article of faith here that Honda dealers generally don't have a clue about these cars and especially not about the late DBW AP2 engine.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 04-14-2024 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2024 | 01:17 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Streetfury
Thanks Billman. Just want to double check if this is the right part you're referring to 91308-PCX-004?

Also I just acquired the car at 114k miles and going through the service history the TCT has not been replaced but not sounds noted so far. If I'm going to replace the gasket to hopefully address the leak, would it be a better move to upgrade the TCT all together?
​​​
That is not the correct part number, but I will post it tomorrow
Old 04-14-2024 | 09:06 PM

Billman's TCT is sold direct. Just PM him and he'll respond. Note this is an exchange as he uses the OEM body for his unit. Follow his instructions. For example you MUST use the bolts that will come with his TCT. Using the original bolts will damage your engine block. Remove the access plug on the front of the engine, not the similar looking cam gear nut. Once the OEM air cleaner is out of the way so you can access the TCT it really is a 10 minute job -- did I write "follow the instructions?"

The 2006 cars, like yours and mine, had enough examples of burned overly tight valves for @Billman250 to publish a Warning several years ago advising the need to set them them to the Max spec and not somewhere in the middle as they tighten in use. Setting the exhaust "a thousandth over" (to 0.012") is frequently recommended. It's an article of faith here that Honda dealers generally don't have a clue about these cars and especially not about the late DBW AP2 engine.

-- Chuck
Thanks Chuck, I will look into Billman's TCT and what to do. I think I should be able to handle the TCT work as I'm not the handiest guy but I might have to leave the valve readjustment to a mechanic as I'm not comfortable with that. There's a local shop that works on s2ks a lot not to far from me so I will check them out and also look up Billman's write up on the warning.

Cheers!
Old 04-14-2024 | 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
That is not the correct part number, but I will post it tomorrow
Thank you Billman. I will keep an eye out here for updates

Andy
Old 04-15-2024 | 04:34 AM
20 Year Member

TCT o-rings:

14512-PCX-005 Triangle oring, for the top cap
14513-PCX-005 inner oring
14514-PCX-005 outer oring

The following 2 users liked this post by Billman250:
Streetfury (04-15-2024), windhund116 (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024 | 05:03 AM
Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

Continuing with thread drift : Valve adjustment requires a cold engine, under 100°F/38°C. See page 6-10 of the Service Manual. Even running the engine enough to bring the car indoors will make it too hot and require cool down of possibly several hours. My back hurts just thinking about doing this but it's dirt simple albeit time consuming. Bent feeler gauges and a valve tool are probably still less than $40. Find someone with a S2000 and do them both checking each other's work.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
Streetfury (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024 | 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
TCT o-rings:

14512-PCX-005 Triangle oring, for the top cap
14513-PCX-005 inner oring
14514-PCX-005 outer oring
Thank you so much! I'm glad I checked with you first
Old 04-15-2024 | 09:24 AM

Continuing with thread drift : Valve adjustment requires a cold engine, under 100°F/38°C. See page 6-10 of the Service Manual. Even running the engine enough to bring the car indoors will make it too hot and require cool down of possibly several hours. My back hurts just thinking about doing this but it's dirt simple albeit time consuming. Bent feeler gauges and a valve tool are probably still less than $40. Find someone with a S2000 and do them both checking each other's work.

-- Chuck
Haha yeah especially with the long front end our cars have, people with lower back issues.... I can imagine. These are important maintenances items to address though for the longevity of the car so it's worth it
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (04-15-2024)

Quick Reply: Oil Leak from Timing Chain Tensioner Cover