S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil... How much and how often?

Old 12-07-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never....I just do regular oil changes with Mobil 1 every ~7K miles.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:05 AM

I add a quart once between oil changes. Oil changes every 5k-6k miles. Royal Purple only.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Banned

I haven't added any after 2,000 pretty hard miles (AP2), and the oil still looks great
Old 12-07-2008, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the responses folks.

wright_now, again, if you're burning less than 1 quart per 1000 miles on an AP1, that is considered acceptable by Honda. If you're burning oil at a lesser rate, then that's "normal". Keep the oil topped up (at whatever times are convenient for you) and inspect whenever you get gas (or at least at the same relative frequency). I can't put it much simpler than that. In the 296 pages of search results found for "burn oil", I'm sure this same information is posted there as well.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:58 AM

Well thank you s98d7fs. Once again you have given me info I already have. If you do your search you get a bunch of stories of crap that I already know. Most of the stories are how they did not check their oil because they did not know it would burn that fast. and out of all those stories no one stated how often or how much
Old 12-07-2008, 10:57 AM

I use almost none between 5k oil changes.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:26 AM

The point I'm trying to get at is that it does not matter how many days go by between oil fill-ups. Some people put their cars away for the winter; some are daily drivers, some are weekend toys. Sometimes folks drive all highway miles and never go above 4k, other days it's stop and go traffic, hitting the high RPMs whenever possible. Obviously, this affects oil consumption, as do the tolerances to which all the engines were build.

"Straight foreward numbers" for oil consumption are statistics that are not available. And even if you were presented with that information, it wouldn't change what you would have to do to keep your own car filled properly with oil.

If you feel that your consumption is higher than you would like, there are "fixes" that can remedy that issue.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:16 PM

Well apparently there are hard feelings involved. But my car is still running short of the annoying tap/knock sound. I would think that miles are miles with the exception of stop and go traffic. If you area like me than you have a 90 civic hatchback as a daily driver (for rainy days and going to places where my S might get jacked). But I love driving my S and will take every opportunity to drive it. I will enjoy it while I
Old 12-07-2008, 12:57 PM

I get this image in my head of Jerry Mcguire saying "help me help you". Please don't read this in a harsh tone, as I don't intend to have one.

Your oil consumption question has been asked and answered on this site for almost 9 years. I'm sure that you are aware that you are not the first to ponder this issue. As such, there are more posts on this site than you can shake a stick at giving you as many data-points as you require to feel good about your car's consumption.

If you see in people's signatures references to a former S2ki user called "XViper", the reason why he left this board is because folks didn't want to find the answers to their own questions and would rather have the community answer each repeated question as if it was the first time it had ever been brought up. The S2ki community lost a great community organizer as well as his countless DIY articles when he moved on after being fed up with that issue. A few other notable members come to mind, also leaving for the same reason.

If you are asking about your tapping/knocking then more information will be required to try and help you diagnose the problem. Such as what brand and weight oil do you use? When does the noise occur? Is it only at startup? Does it continue when the car is idling at operating temperature. A video or sound clip would be a great help. If you can't provide one, others have posted their own videos trying to get help with the similar problems (valve clearances out of spec, timing chain tensioner failing, rod knock, etc).

Again, I don't mean this to be read harshly. Part of being on boards like this is to come across new information or ideas that you have never seen before. While you're researching one topic, you might find some other nugget of knowledge about another. Hopefully we find out what the cause of your tapping is and hopefully learn something in the process.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Filthy Beast,Dec 7 2008, 08:39 AM
I have an 04 with 27k miles, i drive it pretty hard, i have never had to
add any oil.
ap2 > ap1

Quick Reply: Oil... How much and how often?