S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil filter stuck - and so am I

Old 02-05-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Penzoil marketed a nylon strap wrench that you can grip with a 1/2" drive. Picked it up in the local dollar store. works great. as pre stated, lube gasket and do not overtighten!

as for the screwdriver? Just always make sure to use the "Craftsman" screwdriver when used for other than screwing.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by HOTRODS2000,Apr 12 2004, 05:52 AM
I did the screw driver trick a few years ago and the filter was on so tight that all we did was open a huge hole in the filter and it still wouldn't come off. And no I didn't install the filter. Now I use the proper fitting end cap wrench if possible and I always break the filter loose at the beginning of the oil change. Best of luck.
that is exactly why the screwdriver trick should be a last resort. go to one of those 10 minute oil change places and aske the guy what trpe he uses for stubborn filters. then buy one just like it.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...pid=02820523000

i have one similar to this but has a apring between the "jaws" to hold them close.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:03 AM

I also find that if you use the cup style filter wrench, to prevent slipping, you have to get it on nice and snug. You can't just lightly slap it on you sometimes have to gently bang it on to the filter. Once it's on tight I have never had a problem.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:07 AM

I have never seen that type of oil filter wrench in that sears link before. I wonder if it's any good.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedxRacer,Feb 4 2006, 11:22 PM
Man how tight do you guys screw on your filters lol. I usually do it by hand and be done with it.
S2000s have been know to lose their oil filters when they have been screwed on "hand tight". The spec is to turn it 7/8 of a revolution after the gasket first makes contact. Your "hand tight" may be different than mine, but I need a wrench to do that.

I've never been unable to remove it with a wrench.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:14 AM
VAD

Originally Posted by mister_two,Feb 6 2006, 10:07 AM
I have never seen that type of oil filter wrench in that sears link before. I wonder if it's any good.
It is very good It has saved my butt a couple of times.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by KennyS2K,Feb 5 2006, 12:28 PM
as for the screwdriver? Just always make sure to use the "Craftsman" screwdriver when used for other than screwing.
Just so happens that my screwdriver was a Craftsman but, I was wondering what you meant. Did you have a different brand fall apart on you mid-operation?

Oh yeah, the screwdriver method did not make a mess for me. I did it from above and had the oil drain pain under the car. Of course, I would never consider doing it from below!

And I have been trying to follow the service manual..which says torque the oil filter to 16 lb-ft I believe. The problem was:

1. My dealer only sold generic cap wrenches, which would lose grip before getting to 16 lb-ft.
2. I had so little clearance from below the car for my click-style torque wrench, it was hard to tell when it was "clicking" since I had to rachet back and forth so much.

I finally bought the chrome OEM Honda wrench from handa accessories and I'm hoping that it has better grip and will alleviate my problems.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

16 ft-lb is hard to measure unless you have a very small torque wrench. The error on a typical torque wrench is measured as +/- XX%, but that is XX% of the peak value (ie. 5% of 120 ft-lb, which would be 6 ft-lb). That obviously makes a huge difference when you are talking about 16.

The "7/8 of a revolution" guideline (which is also in the Helm manual as a compliment to the torque spec) is more repeatable and probably more accurate.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:54 AM

[QUOTE]Just so happens that my screwdriver was a Craftsman but, I was wondering what you meant. Did you have a different brand fall apart on you mid-operation?

What I meant was, the only tools that I use for other than their intended purpose are 'Craftsman', so if the tool breaks, take it to Sears and get a new one.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy thread ressurection batman!

Quick Reply: Oil filter stuck - and so am I