S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil filter stuck - and so am I

Old 04-12-2004, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sabbath
Old 04-12-2004, 05:52 AM

I did the screw driver trick a few years ago and the filter was on so tight that all we did was open a huge hole in the filter and it still wouldn't come off. And no I didn't install the filter. Now I use the proper fitting end cap wrench if possible and I always break the filter loose at the beginning of the oil change. Best of luck.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:35 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had to use the screwdriver technique in desparate times before too.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:14 AM

I did the screwdriver trick once, left a metal ridge that I stupidly gashed my hand open on when I went to remove the filter.

Now, i use one of those rubber strap wrench devices to get it off. Works like a charm every time.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:20 AM

A quick trick I learned in the same situation... take a small square of sandpaper and fold it in half so the rough side is out. when you put the wrench over the filter slide the sandpaper in btwn the wrench and filter. turn the wrench so it tightens around the filter, and the sandpaper should provide enough friction btwn the slick surfaces of the filter and wrench to get it loose. Just for future reference.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop it in the first place - either use a filter with a silicone ribber gasket (like Puro Pure 1's) or put some silicone grease on the o-ring. Most people use engine oil, but it can burn off and leave a tack residue that makes it harder to remove.

I have a set of Channel-Lock slip joints that always work, if you can get up near the point where the filter meets the mounting flange.

Otherwise, a Craftsman strap-type wrench works great, as does my all-time Favorite - the Facom oil filter wrench, with its metal band.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:43 PM

You can add me to the screwdriver club. I tried sandpaper first but that was no use. I also tried putting a leather belt around the filter, and pulling on it, but that didn't help either...

I actually took the OEM air filter box off so I could have enough room to hammer a screwdriver in.

First I drilled a hole into the filter.
Then hammered my biggest flathead all the way through
I easily got 1/4 turn in before running out of clearance
Then drove the screwdriver through again 90 degrees lower
One more 1/4 turn(w/screwdriver) and I was able to finish the job with the Honda oil filter wrench...

I didn't detect any hint of the filter shearing from the screwdriver. I think it helped that the screwdriver was thick.

Good to be done with it!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man how tight do you guys screw on your filters lol. I usually do it by hand and be done with it.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by usace,Apr 12 2004, 07:20 AM
A quick trick I learned in the same situation... take a small square of sandpaper and fold it in half so the rough side is out. when you put the wrench over the filter slide the sandpaper in btwn the wrench and filter. turn the wrench so it tightens around the filter, and the sandpaper should provide enough friction btwn the slick surfaces of the filter and wrench to get it loose. Just for future reference.
looks like you're experiance in removing stuck filters.

sandpaper works the best. unlike the screwdriver method it wont leave you with a mess. if the sandpaper doesnt work because you jus can get leverage or if you've stopped working out, use a chain vise grip.

roadrage mentioned "strap type wrench" i think you ment chain vise grip.

sandpaper and the chain vise grip works everytime without the screwdriver mess.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedxRacer,Feb 4 2006, 11:22 PM
Man how tight do you guys screw on your filters lol. I usually do it by hand and be done with it.
I know I did it too tight last time but, I had to use sandpaper under the cap-wrench to get it off from the factory!

Quick Reply: Oil filter stuck - and so am I