S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Filter Question

Old 11-28-2010, 02:50 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sure Fram/Honeywell doesn not makes any of the s2000 filters.
I really dont want to search but regardless of the fact I still wont use FRAM when there is a better product out there, and its proven itself over the years.
Some say why spend 13 on an oil filter, that is the only one specified by the manufacturer, and I just say: "that's a smart thing to do"
Why spend 1000 plus on some exhaust that will show no gains?
I don't know.
Maybe some weight gains.
A gain is a gain.. right?

Old 11-28-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you guys go. Investigate away.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html

Here's another site with some opinion info.Deduce what you will.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil.../opinions.html
Old 11-28-2010, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read most of these studies and if anybody can find a better filter than PureOne, I will switch starting with my next change.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Nov 28 2010, 03:50 PM
I'm sure Fram/Honeywell doesn not makes any of the s2000 filters.
I really dont want to search but regardless of the fact I still wont use FRAM when there is a better product out there, and its proven itself over the years.
Some say why spend 13 on an oil filter, that is the only one specified by the manufacturer, and I just say: "that's a smart thing to do"
Why spend 1000 plus on some exhaust that will show no gains?
I don't know.
Maybe some weight gains.
A gain is a gain.. right?

true
Old 11-28-2010, 10:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingtoaster,Nov 28 2010, 04:33 PM
I have read most of these studies and if anybody can find a better filter than PureOne, I will switch starting with my next change.
Very interested in reading some recent studies myself, any links would be appreciated. What I'm thinking now is while the Honda filter may not be the "best" one, it should at least meet minimum requirements, something I'm not sure some other brands do.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:10 AM

^Pureone filter is pretty good filter just by looking at pictures that opened up. (Can find thread thur bobistheoilguy.com)

Imo, picking up the filter is same as picking up the motor oil. Hard to say which are best. For me, I use oem, k&n and bosch( I tried because I heard bosch and purolator are same company or made by same.) I also like to try wix/napa and pureone in future.

Farm, i have used them on my other cars before, it didnt give me any issue. But I just don't like to use them on s2k.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 AM

Red face

I think you can tell a lot about oil filters just by looking at the quality of the construction. Frams have been found with blown seams (where cardboard end-caps meet the filter media) and have had notoriously leaky anti-drain-back valves which means that the engine frequently experiences a "dry-start" and the filter is often in bypass mode where it is not filtering at all.

The other concern is the amount of flow. There have been studies/tests done (at least one on BITOG) that show filters in a given application and how restrictive each are. The Purolator Pure-One, despite having a high efficiency (density) media, flows very well. Mobil 1 filters, also with a high efficiency media, tend to be very restrictive.

But, if you change your oil every 2,500 - 3,000 miles and don't track the car, the quality of the oil and filters is usually not much of an issue.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:19 AM

^humm check ur pm...
Old 11-29-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the OEM for complete peace of mind but must admit to my self that Fram must be perfectly alright to use in any car. Beyond marketing, there is no way that Fram could escape bad word of mouth that would have to eminate from the many thousands of repair shops and garages.
If you are happy using Fram and (possibly for many years,) I see no reason to change.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:29 AM

Mobil 1, K&N or Wix for me. Nothing else!

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Question