S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

oil filter change question.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil filter change question.

i was just reading a thread that the mobil 1 filter i got has a possibility of coming loose under high rpm usage. they ran out of my usual filter.

so, i just changed my oil this weekend too damnit. anyways, i want to just change the filter, but i don't know if i have to drain the oil first, or can i just go buy the k&n filter i usually get and screw it on without draining anything? i don't want to unscrew it and 5 quarts of oil starts pouring out.

thanks.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to say you can change the filter and a minimal amount of oil will come out. but dont quote me on it.

but i know you can change the filter without changing the oil.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meth,Mar 10 2005, 09:55 PM
i was just reading a thread that the mobil 1 filter i got has a possibility of coming loose under high rpm usage. they ran out of my usual filter.

so, i just changed my oil this weekend too damnit. anyways, i want to just change the filter, but i don't know if i have to drain the oil first, or can i just go buy the k&n filter i usually get and screw it on without draining anything? i don't want to unscrew it and 5 quarts of oil starts pouring out.

thanks.
I have never changed my oil filter on my s2k, when full of oil. but I dont think it would be a problem. maybe someone else knows more. BTW the K&N oil filter has holes to safety wire it on.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:02 PM

man, i just spent like $30+ on my first synthetic oil too. i really don't want to change the oil, just the filter. well, if worse comes to worse, i think i will jack the car up on the passenger side to see if i can minimize any potential spillage.

thanks.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by oakfloor,Mar 10 2005, 10:01 PM
I have never changed my oil filter on my s2k, when full of oil. but I dont think it would be a problem. maybe someone else knows more. BTW the K&N oil filter has holes to safety wire it on.
yeah, i have grown attached to it. they just ran out where i went to get oil so i went with the mobil 1 filter, then 2 days later i read a thread where the mobil 1 filters were coming loose, and had some gasket failure, so i don't want to chance it.
why not oem filter, well, cuz i am too lazy to go to the dealer to buy it, and plus i don't want them to see my car.

thanks all.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meth,Mar 10 2005, 10:02 PM
man, i just spent like $30+ on my first synthetic oil too. i really don't want to change the oil, just the filter. well, if worse comes to worse, i think i will jack the car up on the passenger side to see if i can minimize any potential spillage.

thanks.
If you are concerned about loosing your oil, just drain it in to a clean pan, and replace the filter and pour the oil back in. this I have done before.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:21 PM

yaeh, i might do that if i don't find out that i can do this safely. but i am lazy, so i would love to just change the filter. besides, that feels kinda ghetto.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you unscrew the filter with or without draining the oil pan, you will lose whatever oil that will fall out of the filter and the lines just behind where the filter is screwed in. This should amount to no more than about 200 to 300 cc (if that). Then you will lose whatever is left in the old filter itself (maybe another couple hundred cc).
Look at it this way ....................... If you do this after the car has sat for a few hours, most of the oil will be in the oil pan. That oil ISN'T going to fall UPHILL and out the oil filter fitting. I think you can afford to put in the 1/2 qt or less that you will lose.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:29 PM

cool, so i don't have to drain anything. do you suggest i jack up the passenger side for insurance.

thank you
Old 03-10-2005, 09:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no need to jack the passenger side.

FYI, the genuine honda filter for the S2000 is what i would recommend. it was made for the S2k and is superior to many oil filters out there, including some aftermarket filters. honda built this filter with the required pressure levels and flow requirements the S2k needs. i'm sure there are comparable filters out there... but honda knew what they were doing when they made this for the S2k.

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191911

Quick Reply: oil filter change question.