S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Filter came loose, thought I lost the motor

Old 11-18-2006, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Filter came loose, thought I lost the motor

So I was driving down the rode today, and out of nowhere smoke starts rolling out the back. I immediately clutch in and coast into a McDonalds parking lot. Pop the hood and oil is everywhere, even had a mild flame coming off the header that I blew out. Got to poking around and find the oil filter to be loose. Not almost fallen off but very easy to spin. I tighten it up and trailered it home to where it sits now. Also even found oil on the garage floor from before I even left the house today.

Overall I think I saved the motor. The Low pressure light didn't come on till just as I was coasting into the parking lot. I'm still worried about possible damage so after I get new oil in the car and get it cleaned up what should I do? I'm thinking a compression/leak down test might be a good choice. Is there any other percaution or test I should do to make sure there isn't damage or issues?

Anothing thing, for the most park I keep my car spotless and clean inside out. What do you guys recommend using to clean this mess up. My engine bay is covered in oil as is the passenger side and back of the car. Any ideas on the best way to address this?

Thanks for the time and advice in advance!

Okay guys, updating this with pics of the Head. Counting on the UTH guys' keen eyes to pick up damage or scorching!

Let me know what you think!

Ryan B.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you can take it to a trusted mechanic. Or just refill it with oil and see how many quarts you where down. if it justs takes a few you may be good. I think simple green will clean up the engine bay. BTW sorry to hear about this.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:06 PM

If you change your own oil make sure that when your old filter is removed that it's rubber gasket dosen't stick to the engine block. Also torque the new oil fiter to 16ft lbs. or 7/8ths of a complete rotation once the filter has seated on the block.
As far as cleanup goes, I have no idea, maybe try Simple Green, or posting the same question in the wash and wax forum.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:17 PM

check the oil pressure. low oil pressure will indicate worn bearings.
pull the valve cover and look at the cams. look at the wear surface. look for bluish tint(similar to burnt TI ehxaust look) on moving parts.
if you are mechanically inclined enough, find the spec to the cam lobes and mic them.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:06 PM

I would pull the valve cover and take a look see. You might be ok, but a loss of oil pressure like that could cause some major damage. If it was me, I would drop the oil pan as well and look for discoloration across the mains and rods. While i'm in there and it's off, I would go ahead and baffle the oil pan. Worst case scenario is you burned up a bearing and need a rebuild but I think you are ok. Good luck to you.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by oakfloor,Nov 18 2006, 07:04 PM
refill it with oil and see how many quarts you where down.

if it justs takes a few you may be good.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

very lucky more stuff didnt catch on fire, nice save.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:20 AM

You should be alright.
Measure how much oil you put back in and do a compression test.
One of our UK members did this THREE times!
"nd time we were 5 miles in to a 2600 miles Euro trip. I was following - it looked spectacular!
He now carries a fire extinguisher
All he did was used spray on detergent and a pressure washer - worked a treat!

Old 11-19-2006, 07:08 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Ryan bro

Take that oil filter back off and have a look at the gasket. The PCX filter gasket will easily push itself out if the filter becomes loose enough. If you tightened it without taking it off, you may have cut it.

Don't be afraid to tighten the PCX filter with a wrench. It is a rare metal-to-metal contact filter and needs to be tighter than ordinary filters.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:48 AM

Updated!

Quick Reply: Oil Filter came loose, thought I lost the motor