S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Filter - Baldwin B7042

Old 04-18-2013, 06:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

I have been running HONDA PCX for the last 178,000 miles with zero issues, and will continue to use it.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:30 PM

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
If it ain't broke don't fix it!

I have been running HONDA PCX for the last 178,000 miles with zero issues, and will continue to use it.
I have over 2 million miles with Baldwin, so what. If you want to buy all your parts from Honda thats fine. Buy your brake pads and rotors, oil and filters, buy it all from Honda because there can't be anything better for your car than Honda parts(even though Honda doesn't make the oil or oil filters, that goes to the lowest bidder. At one time it was Mobil oil and now its oil from Conoco(here in the USA) .
http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...648730907.html

I don't mind putting 6 qt. of oil in my car with the larger Baldwin filter(that is almost 20% more oil) and I run my oil out to 8k to 9k miles X2 for the filter.
My UOA's back my decision to use the baldwin filter, this is my first S2000 and I've only put 67k miles on mine(in 28 months) but I have been into cars and motorcycles for longer than most on here, got my first motorcycle in '67.

You say if it ain't broke don't fix it, well I have read about more blown up engines on here than I ever have on other car sites. I don't read post on why people should not get coilovers or not to run a non-staggered tires at the track. I like the S and its fun as hell to drive, I just think more oil is better even if the filter didn't clean it any better than the stock filter.

ROD
Old 04-19-2013, 10:06 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Please explain why Honda uses a specific filter for the S2000.
The 15400-PCX-004 is not used in any other Honda as far as I know.
Is that just for laughs 'n gigggles?
Oh wait.. it's a big scam to get an extra $ out of S2000 owners' pockets because inside the 15400 filter is just cheap ass FRAM filter.
Right?

I'm not saying everyone should only buy Honda oil, tires, gas, brake fluid, wiper fluid, and whatever else (like that fruit company selling computers)
But when it comes to specific parts I think it is your best option.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:33 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
I'm not saying everyone should only buy Honda oil, tires, gas, brake fluid, wiper fluid, and whatever else (like that fruit company selling computers)
Funniest thing I've read all day!!! True, too.

Sorry... Back to topic...
Old 04-22-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Please explain why Honda uses a specific filter for the S2000.
The 15400-PCX-004 is not used in any other Honda as far as I know.
Is that just for laughs 'n gigggles?
Oh wait.. it's a big scam to get an extra $ out of S2000 owners' pockets because inside the 15400 filter is just cheap ass FRAM filter.
Right?

But when it comes to specific parts I think it is your best option.

OK,
so you think that specific parts made only for the S should be replaced by the same S specific part. So by your own words everybody that has aftermarket rotors or shocks should take them off and go back to stock. I could not find any other car that the rotors or shocks fit, and I could go on with other parts too but you get the drift.

Here is what you wrote.
"The 15400-PCX-004 is not used in any other Honda as far as I know.
Is that just for laughs 'n giggles?
But when it comes to specific parts I think it is your best option."

I'm not starting a pissing match with you, I'm too old to get upset by a difference of opinion about cars or just about anything else on here(web). I do enjoy reading your post as well as others on here. I learned(the hard way) that Honda did not and still does not put enough Tq. on the rear axle nuts(bad hub bearing at 63k miles). I do like the way the filter was made that was taken off of a C/R, it was made far better than the Napa(Wix) for the S. I also test the bypass spring pressure of all the filters that I take apart(that I can) and the Honda filter is higher than most that I've tested over the years. Why is this I don't know, the bypass should only open when the oil is cold and harder to flow through the filter. Filters much smaller than the S filter will flow more oil than the S engine will ever pump when the oil is at operating temp. So again why did they want such a high pressure bypass, I don't know its not needed when the oil is up to temp. and if somebody is going to try to hit redline when the oil is cold well they get what they deserve.

Drive Safe(but have fun)
ROD
Old 04-23-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
I'm not starting a pissing match with you,
But we can try?

Or are you old enough to have "plumbing issues" and can not produce any pressure.....
Maybe you need to go back to the OEM filter... haha!

Anyway....

I do get your drift.
Yes, the shocks are S2k specific just like the oil filter and the flywheel, for example.
Now.. I'm using Koni Yellow's and have a Comptech FW but still recommend (as far as that goes) the OEM oil filter.
Why?
As far as the shocks go I think the Koni's are not better per se but they are adjustable, and IMO the rear could do with some more dampening, especially at high(er) speed corners.
Swapping old for new would still not have given me adjustability, it the OEM shocks would have been available in grades of dampening I might have taken that route.
So, IMO, there were measurable differences between the parts and the non-OEM part is my favorite.
And.... Koni's are Dutch, just gotta support the country.. right?
The Comptech FW is measurable lighter than OEM with the expected result.
Is it better?
Its different.
I have no idea what the specs are for the OEM filter.
(Do you?)
You mention the Bypass opening pressure (BOP) of it is a lot higher than most.
I remember Chris_Barry posting about the output of the F2x oil pump being pretty high, high enough to use different parts for dry-sumping and keeping the oil pressure.
Maybe Honda wants filtered oil as long as possibe, even in VTEC and above, so they designed a higher BOP.
Maybe they spec, as a result of the first, a wider filter mesh to allow thicker oil to pass through or a stronger filter medium, or both.
So sacrifice some filtering for longer filtering at higher revs (the engine does not wear anyway)
IMO there are too many known unknowns, and who knows how many unknown unknowns to use another, more generic oil filter for the S2000.
I did an internet test once, searching for part# on a oil filter website and found the filter they recommended for the S2000 was also used in Acccords and Legends (IIRC) with engines that don't even come close to (the design of) the F20/F22.

So I guess it is not just about being a specific part, it's also about what "we" know about the specs.
The more one knows the better one can make up ones mind & better safe than sorry.
Something like that.

Keep the revs UP!

Oh.. BTW.. there is no doubt in my mind the current 15400-PCX-004 is build pretty well.
Most definitely no cheap ass construction.
Post with pictures of cut OEM filters were IMO pretty clear on the build quality.