S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil filter......

Old 09-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just a little skeptical about this oil/oil filter difference. I can understand that certain oils become worn down faster than others (due to an oil analysis), but I have a hard time believing oils are appreciably different with regards to providing adequate protection when changed somewhat regularly.

I've been on various forums for a pretty long time, and yes there are oil gurus who can go 40k between changes (which is really incredible) and people who really do know the molecular science behind the different brands, but for a normal driver who VTECs occasionally, checks oil level every few days, and changes at around 3000-7000 miles, does this really matter?

Most mechanics I have ever interacted with say to get the cheapest oil filter you can find... I bet many of us have heard about the cardboard Fram filters rumor, and if this is indeed a true rumor, does it even matter? I'll admit I'm still too scared to buy the Fram... but I'm thinking it may all be for naught.

I typically just buy whatever synthetic + filter is on sale at Advance Auto. My AP1 consumes oil only if VTEC is used often, it eats Castrol, Quaker, Royal Purple, and Mobil all the same. I have not tried the Amsoil, but I suspect it will consume this as well (hence why i won't buy such expensive quarts). Especially so if I vtec with the ac on. I just drove 350 miles with occasional vtec on vacation and my f20c ate not one drop of Mobil 1 10w-30.

Just because I'm skeptical does not mean the oil differences are not real. They very well could be. But I'm more interested in who will see the appreciable difference? People who track often? Vtec 24/7? Everyone?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by tags
I'm just a little skeptical about this oil/oil filter difference. I can understand that certain oils become worn down faster than others (due to an oil analysis), but I have a hard time believing oils are appreciably different with regards to providing adequate protection when changed somewhat regularly.

I've been on various forums for a pretty long time, and yes there are oil gurus who can go 40k between changes (which is really incredible) and people who really do know the molecular science behind the different brands, but for a normal driver who VTECs occasionally, checks oil level every few days, and changes at around 3000-7000 miles, does this really matter?

Most mechanics I have ever interacted with say to get the cheapest oil filter you can find... I bet many of us have heard about the cardboard Fram filters rumor, and if this is indeed a true rumor, does it even matter? I'll admit I'm still too scared to buy the Fram... but I'm thinking it may all be for naught.

I typically just buy whatever synthetic + filter is on sale at Advance Auto. My AP1 consumes oil only if VTEC is used often, it eats Castrol, Quaker, Royal Purple, and Mobil all the same. I have not tried the Amsoil, but I suspect it will consume this as well (hence why i won't buy such expensive quarts). Especially so if I vtec with the ac on. I just drove 350 miles with occasional vtec on vacation and my f20c ate not one drop of Mobil 1 10w-30.

Just because I'm skeptical does not mean the oil differences are not real. They very well could be. But I'm more interested in who will see the appreciable difference? People who track often? Vtec 24/7? Everyone?
well i am more interested in oil filter bypass valve. its set to specific pressure to open and let oil flow without filtration when you have high revs, when filter is clogged, or when car is cold. If its set too low, oil will just bypass the filter filtration, and if its set too high, engine will not get enough oil. the argument in S2k forums is that S2k has higher oil pressure then most other cars and therefore needs a specific oil filter made by Honda for S2000 with much different bypass valve pressure.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by kolyan2k
Originally Posted by tags' timestamp='1315341875' post='20948384

well i am more interested in oil filter bypass valve. its set to specific pressure to open and let oil flow without filtration when you have high revs, when filter is clogged, or when car is cold. If its set too low, oil will just bypass the filter filtration, and if its set too high, engine will not get enough oil. the argument in S2k forums is that S2k has higher oil pressure then most other cars and therefore needs a specific oil filter made by Honda for S2000 with much different bypass valve pressure.

Ahhhhh Thank you for that. That's definitely beyond my knowledge level, but if someone could confirm that I would definitely go oem only.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

My motorcycle runs more oil pressure than my "S" and the bypass is set at 14 pounds on my bike(with a smaller filter), the bypass is not based on total oil pressure . Most cars will be in bypass when the oil is not up to operational temperature, like when you start your car up the first time of the day. As I said if your oil filter gets plugged up you have much bigger problems to fix. You could run your filter for 30k miles and not plug it up, it takes a lot of junk to stop the flow of a filter. The larger the filter the lower the bypass can be set at and still filter the same amount of oil before the filter will go into bypass mode. When a filter is in bypass mode it does lower the oil pressure that gets to the engine a little.

ROD
Old 09-06-2011, 04:04 PM

I believe that Honda went with a bigger sized oil filter so it would flow enough oil(with out going into bypass)at normal operating oil temperature. You can check the pressure that the bypass valve opens by putting a deep-well socket on a scale and push down on the filter bypass valve and see at what pressure the valve opens. I have felt the bypass valves on dozens of different oil filters for cars and bikes and its very easy to tell which ones have a higher or lower bypass spring.

ROD
Old 09-06-2011, 04:50 PM

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=HP-1004
Old 09-06-2011, 05:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's based on differential pressure not absolute pressure of the system. It doesn't matter how high your oil pressure is, most filters will bypass at the same point of BLOCKAGE.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by SgtB
Originally Posted by kolyan2k' timestamp='1315343135' post='20948456
[quote name='tags' timestamp='1315341875' post='20948384']

It's based on differential pressure not absolute pressure of the system. It doesn't matter how high your oil pressure is, most filters will bypass at the same point of BLOCKAGE.
[/quote]

If thats true then lots of crap i read in here is BS I am not saying its not, i have no idea.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to believe that crap.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:24 PM

It's true, the oil filter bypass is based on the pressure differential between the inlet and outlet side of the oil filter on Honda's. That is why with a larger size oil filter you can run a oil filter with a lower bypass spring and still have more "filtered" oil going to the engine. Plus if the bypass spring "is" high(lets say 20 psi) your oil pump puts out 100 psi and when the oil is cold, by the time the oil filter goes into bypass mode you will be loosing 20 psi of oil pressure going to the engine. 100psi less 20psi for the bypass spring to open and you have about 80psi. Your engine wants more oil than the oil filter can supply(that is how you get that pressure differential between the inlet and outlet side of the oil filter).

ROD

Quick Reply: Oil filter......