S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Filter

Old 04-01-2008, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Mar 31 2008, 03:16 PM
It's a double edged sword with the S2000: you want your filter system to remove as many contaminants as possible - but at the same time an aftermarket filtration system may limit/inhibit oil flow at critical times (high RPMs) and therefore increase wear - and then remove any evidence of that increased wear...
It's a difficult engineering balancing act - filtration vs oil flow/pressure.

That whole thought-set is why I didn't use a bypass system on my S2000.
My Civic VX? No problem - it has a much narrower RPM range and won't be impacted by the possible pitfalls the S2000's engine can suffer - due to the fact the little Civic doesn't operate so close to the razor's edge.
The S2000's engine is an example of engineering extremes - where small variations at critical times can cause big problems. Small variations in my Civic have little to no impact on it's operation - even at redline. There's just a lot more room for error in your average car/truck/SUV.
It does not flow enough to effect oil pressure. It is practially a complete dead head as far as the oil system is concerned. Because it is such a low volume system, it doesnt bleed enough to require the oil pump to work any harder. In fact, I would make sure to say that the factory variations in internal clearances of our motors could potientially cause more of a differential in oil pressure.

On the subject of wear metals, it is simply how you look at it. Obviously since we are trapping the wear elements it is true that your oil sample will come back cleaner. However, it is better that they are trapped in our filter instead of suspended in your oil to act as liquid sandpaper on the bearings, cam lobes, journals, cylinder walls ect, ect, and your oil pump itself.

Our system has been around for over 30 years, and we have a million dollar insurance policy and not once has a claim been made. I am very confident in our product and that is why I will be bringing it to s2ki.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:31 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 3vilmonkey!,Apr 1 2008, 08:14 PM
On the site, the 2 to 3 quarts you are speaking is not sitting in the KleenOil system being filtered. It is saying that in a minute, 2-3 quarts pass through and back into the system. It is a continuous cycle - as oil is being redirected to the filter, it is being returned.
You're missing my point. At a given RPM, the oil pump is pumping a certain amount of oil through the engine galleries to the bearings and cylinders. With a Kleenoil system, it is pumping .5-.75 gallons less to those bearings and cylinders. The remaining .5-.75 gallons pass through the Kleenoil system then get sent to the oilpan. This results in a reduction in flow and pressure.

You can't take oil away from the flow and still maintain flow and pressure. Oil pumps are positive displacement pumps that pump essentially the same amount of oil regardless of backpressure.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

slalom44 Posted on Apr 1 2008, 11:08 PM
The bypass valve on your oil filter doesn't care what the pressure is outside of the filter. It cares what the pressure differential is between the two sides of the filter media. Your argument doesn't make sense.
Correct
My bad

Would this also mean that the valve material itself has very little to do with the bypass opening pressure and the difference in valve area (high pressure before media / low pressure after media) is the main factor?

What's left to make the PCX fitler so special?
Just construction (materials) and size?

About the engine's oil pump: don't forget it running at very high revs, more then the average gear pump runs at.
The crankumpshaft ratio isn't 1:1, its closer to 34:18 (= 1.8:1) so I guess the pumpshaft runs at peak revs of around 17000 rpm, and it also has to deliver enough oil at idle, around 2000 pumpshaft rpm.
At those high revs a gear pump IMO isn't a true positive displacement pump, all kinds of losses have to be taken into account.
That's the main reason IMO not to use xxW-50 and xxW-60 weights.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Mar 27 2008, 04:50 AM
OK, we're good then . I read the "really" in a sarcastic tone rather than an emphatic one - one of the problems with text messages.
I initially interpreted it the same way, so you're not going crazy.

Just finished reading the thread, very informative!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:20 AM

how about the fram?