S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Filter

Old 03-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter

Looking to use another beside OEM HONDA filter.
Heard that the Amsoil oil filter will last for 15000 miles interval.
I'm wondering if this is true or not.
And which Amsoil oil filter fits 02 model?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:38 PM

Not sure about the filter lasting 15K. Why mess with something thats worked well since you bought the car.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that extending the service life of oil filters may wind up to be a false economy. There are some excellent oil filters out there besides the one from Honda, I'm just not convinced that any of them should be left in the engine longer than around 7500 miles.

Perform UOAs to determine oil life, but even if you extend oil drain intervals, many still replace their filters on a more frequent basis since they trap contaminants and larger wear metal particles.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Mar 27 2008, 03:45 AM
I think that extending the service life of oil filters may wind up to be a false economy.
Really, they cost less than $10. What does it cost to fill up the tank these days, $50? Replacing the oil filter regularly only makes sense.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Mar 27 2008, 06:50 AM
Really, they cost less than $10. What does it cost to fill up the tank these days, $50? Replacing the oil filter regularly only makes sense.
Yes, really. Perhaps you misinterpreted my meaning - I'm essentially agreeing with you. If extending oil filter service life is a false economy, that means that replacing it at more frequent intervals is truely economical because it decreases the wear on your engine .
Old 03-27-2008, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Mar 27 2008, 04:04 AM
Yes, really. Perhaps you misinterpreted my meaning - I'm essentially agreeing with you. If extending oil filter service life is a false economy, that means that replacing it at more frequent intervals is truely economical because it decreases the wear on your engine .
I do know what a "false economy" is, thanks. I was just adding a few real numbers to your post as an example. It's amusing that you seem to have misunderstood me by thinking that I had misunderstood you.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:50 AM

OK, we're good then . I read the "really" in a sarcastic tone rather than an emphatic one - one of the problems with text messages.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:06 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm using Amsoil oil filters, my last UOA was 14 months and over 24,000 miles, and my last Used Oil Analysis was great. read more

But that's with a bypass filter and prelube pump as well. Personally, I believe that the Amsoil oil filter will hold up fine for the 15,000 miles as you have suggested, but you're going to pick up more wear particles over time. There is a chance that with the added particulates your filter will go into bypass mode longer during startups.

My setup addresses these issues. Instead of using the EaO-20 filter recommended by Amsoil for the S2000, my bypass setup allows me to use an EaO-15 filter (or the previous SDF-15 filter), which is huge. Also, the bypass filter pulls a lot of particulates out of the system and I've done several UOAs just to make sure that it's running the way it is supposed to.

If you are serious about using an EaO-20 filter for 15,000 miles, I suggest you use a really good synthetic oil (like Amsoil 0W-30) and run a UOA at your first oil change. And if you do a lot of short distance driving or excessive idling, then I'd forget about it.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Spammer

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44,Mar 27 2008, 05:06 AM
I'm using Amsoil oil filters, my last UOA was 14 months and over 24,000 miles, and my last Used Oil Analysis was great. read more

But that's with a bypass filter and prelube pump as well. Personally, I believe that the Amsoil oil filter will hold up fine for the 15,000 miles as you have suggested, but you're going to pick up more wear particles over time. There is a chance that with the added particulates your filter will go into bypass mode longer during startups.

My setup addresses these issues. Instead of using the EaO-20 filter recommended by Amsoil for the S2000, my bypass setup allows me to use an EaO-15 filter (or the previous SDF-15 filter), which is huge. Also, the bypass filter pulls a lot of particulates out of the system and I've done several UOAs just to make sure that it's running the way it is supposed to.

If you are serious about using an EaO-20 filter for 15,000 miles, I suggest you use a really good synthetic oil (like Amsoil 0W-30) and run a UOA at your first oil change. And if you do a lot of short distance driving or excessive idling, then I'd forget about it.
SLALOM 44. I am not familiar with amsoil filter. Are you using an oversize oil filter? If so, it will traps more particles due to increase surface area of the filter media. I called amsoil technical line a couple of months ago and he said amsoil filter can go for more than 15,000 miles. Since you have oil analysis from lab, I can not argue because it can be represented as scientific data. I have used k&n, mobil 1, oem oil filters and royal purple 10w30, castrol 10w30, mobil 1 10w30 and voll-synthese(lubro moly) 5w40 from germany, but I will not let any of these staying longer than 5000 miles on my car. The reason is that I drive the car up to it potential sometime and I have j's racing snorkel and k&n drop-in air filter. This type of aftermarket air filter increases some engine responses and might gains a couple of hp, but it can only traps up to about 96% of pollutant/crap from entering the engine according to turbo magazine a couple of years back. The worst one is itb, spoon sport and similar foam air filter types. To compensate for this, one just have to change his/her engine oil/filter more frequently to prevent engine failure.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter