S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Filter

Old 08-21-2001, 08:46 AM
Ira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter

Does anybody know which oil filter has the highest filtration rate (the ability to filter small particles) and is there bigger capacity oil filter available besides the standard Honda oil filter size???

Any help would be appreciated!!!
Old 08-21-2001, 08:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just did a search using "oil filter" and came up with this:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...ight=oil+filter
This was a very in depth study.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got to check, but at first glance it looks like a Mobil 1 M1-301 filter will screw right onto our boss. I've bought one, I just need to try it. It's roughly 3x the size of ours!!! I found it by looking for "large" foreign engines, this one being a '87 Toyota Land Cruiser (V8). Everything looks right, I just need to be sure the thread count is the same and that there is enough clearance for the filter.

If anyone is about to do an oil change, you may buy this filter and check it out.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:58 AM

On thing to cosider is whether or not the filter has a anti-drainback valve. The honda filter does so one may assume it is required.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:28 AM
Ira

I checked the hyperlink from above regarding oil filters that to my surprised there were only five major manufactures of oil filters!!! Based on the oil filter study it appears that Purolator premium plus oil filter was the best but also the study lack some important benchmarks.

I also ran a search on the forums before I posted this thread and did not find any useful information regarding oil filters but found a lot about changing oil

Any other comments???
Old 08-21-2001, 10:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ira
[B]I checked the hyperlink from above regarding oil filters that to my surprised there were only five major manufactures of oil filters!!!
Old 08-21-2001, 10:43 AM
Ira

Good point, I do recall reading that information on a S2000 forum!!! Is this what the majority of the S2000 owners are doing until the 3yrs / 36,000 miles are up???
Old 08-21-2001, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we go again.

First, every filter I've ever seen has the drainback valve. I'm sure it has not always been this way, and that there are those out there that don't have them. I'd suspect, though (barring racing filters) that if a filter does not have one, it's probably of rather poor quality.

Regarding Shingles' and mine agreement to disagree, I would be very surprised if:
1) A Honda engine would fail due to anything but the poorest quality of filter
2) Honda would refuse to back their product when used with a name-brand filter
3) Honda filters were "better" than *any* premium filter such as Bosch Premium, Wix/Napa Gold, Mobil 1, etc.

While the mini-Mopar and my "studies" (and I use that term loosely) did no flow/particulate testing, there are blatant differences (and shortcomings) of some filters. Some Honda units being one of them. Regardless of filtering ability, you will not convince me that cardboard end caps and a plastic bypass valve are better than all-steel construction and a gasketed bypass valve. For what it's worth, there were no discernable differences in the drainback valves I saw.

My personal opinion is that oil filters are like toilet paper- they all work, some make people feel better than others, they all will fail under the right conditions, and there's a helluva lot more marketing involved than there needs to be. Then again, my ass didn't cost me $32,740
Old 08-21-2001, 02:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

One reason I decided to go with non-OEM filters is that the first oil change I did, I got the filter from the Honda parts dept. When I looked at it, it said Honda on it BUT it was "MANUFACTURED FOR HONDA" by ............ Damn, I can't remember by who but it was made in Canada. As far as I'm concerned, the Purolators that I use IS a name brand product and if Honda wants to argue this then yes, I may have a fight BUT I'll get Purolator in on it, too.
ps. I've NOT had any of the start up noises that have been reported on this forum with any of the filters I've used. Perhaps some of you in Calgary who have had oil changes done can go out and take a look at your OEM "Honda" filter to see who makes it.
Old 08-21-2001, 02:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B]

Regarding Shingles' and mine agreement to disagree, I would be very surprised if:
1) A Honda engine would fail due to anything but the poorest quality of filter
2) Honda would refuse to back their product when used with a name-brand filter
3) Honda filters were "better" than *any* premium filter such as Bosch Premium, Wix/Napa Gold, Mobil 1, etc.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter