S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Drain quick release valve?

Old 11-06-2011, 06:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
I'd rather wait a few minutes to let the oil drain out than risk a burn on a hot engine. Besides, My first car was an old VW bug and I always changed that oil cold, along with the valve adjustments it needed every 3,000 miles that had to be done with a cold engine. Does anyone know off the top of their head how much oil I'll need to put in for a change? Do you always put in 5.1 quarts or do you put in less and run it for a while to see where the level falls on the dip stick?
Use 5.1 (Jug and a splash), wait an hour and top off if needed.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the specs say to torque wrench the oil drain nut to the 29 lb-ft specs, would you torque the new drain valve to the same specs if possible?
I didn't use a torque wrench but if thats the rec for the drain bolt, it should be the same. Tight enough to prevent a leak is tight enough.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

changed the oil today with my fumoto (been using that thing for about 8 years now and love it)- my car is lowered so the hardest part is getting the oil collection pan under the car. i lift the car by hand to get it up on its shocks... my collection pan just barely is too big to fit without doing that. but no jacks involved anymore (i used to drive it up on 2x4s so i could get the jack under it- but dont bother doing that anymore). love the fumoto- reach in through the hood to let the oil out, and wait for it to drain. while its draining, i change the filter and get the new oil ready.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanabe
changed the oil today with my fumoto (been using that thing for about 8 years now and love it)- my car is lowered so the hardest part is getting the oil collection pan under the car. i lift the car by hand to get it up on its shocks... my collection pan just barely is too big to fit without doing that. but no jacks involved anymore (i used to drive it up on 2x4s so i could get the jack under it- but dont bother doing that anymore). love the fumoto- reach in through the hood to let the oil out, and wait for it to drain. while its draining, i change the filter and get the new oil ready.
Ditto, I need to just slightly lift by hand and my low profile pan slides right under the nose.
It's so incredibly nice to be able to kick a pan under the car, pop the hood, reach down and flip a level, take filter off, come back a few minutes later, close valve, new filter, fill, done.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:33 PM

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Se...ts.asp?Cat=152

Here is another place to buy it at but I'm confused which model to get. Anyone can help me? I don't want to wait for backorder from js2k. It's been on backorder for awhile if I can remember.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take your pick. There are really only two to choose from:

F-106
F-106N

Do you want a nipple on the drain valve or not? All the others on that page are just combinations of the above with adapters. A stock S doesn't need an adapter for the drain valve. The adapter just moves the drain valve out and away from the pan.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep It Simple. If you have a CAI/FIPK/PRM intake you can change your oil without jacking up the car. Both the oil filter and the drain plug can be reached from the engine bay. If you have an OEM intake, put the $ toward a CAI instead of the drain valve.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:53 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

My S is totally stock, as far as I know. I don't know the alphabet of the intakes mentioned above. That's like Greek to me and I don't know that language. It would be helpful to put the full words first, then use abbreviations or acronyms. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by mister x
Keep It Simple. If you have a CAI/FIPK/PRM intake you can change your oil without jacking up the car. Both the oil filter and the drain plug can be reached from the engine bay. If you have an OEM intake, put the $ toward a CAI instead of the drain valve.
+1 vote

My S is totally stock, as far as I know. I don't know the alphabet of the intakes mentioned above. That's like Greek to me and I don't know that language. It would be helpful to put the full words first, then use abbreviations or acronyms. Thanks.
CAI = Cold Air Intake (pulls air from a cold location - not the engine bay)
FIPK = K&N's most popular aftermarket intake solution for the S2000, FIPK stands for Fuel Injection Performance Kit, but it's just the name of the short-ram style intake
PRM = A brand that makes a popular intake for the S2000, a "Jet Stream Intake System"

You can learn about the multiple types of aftermarket intakes for the S2000 in The Official CAI Thread

Bottom line is, with an aftermarket intake, the giant ugly stock intake box is removed... so you can pop your hood, and reach right down to your drain plug with an incredible amount of ease. So for the sake of making oil changes easier on yourself... it'd be advised to buy an intake because you would never have to jack up your car to do an oil change. Personally, I'd rather not have to jack it up than not have to undo a drain plug... although I'm lazy so I have a CAI & the quick release valve =)
Old 11-08-2011, 01:51 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Thank you. That was helpful. I'll take a look at that thread on CAI.

Quick Reply: Oil Drain quick release valve?