S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil consumption and aftermarket exhaust?

Old 11-03-2004, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil consumption and aftermarket exhaust?

Has anyone being able to prove that there is a correlation between oil burning rate and aftermarket exhaust? I've kept my car under stock condition for about 25,000km (2yrs) without losing a drop of oil. But ever since adding the Fujitsubo I've used up about 1L of oil in the last 8,000km (6months). I don't think there's any changes in my driving style, maybe a bit more aggressive because of the exhaust but not dramatic enough to cause this much oil burning.

Any idea?
Old 11-03-2004, 08:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Although possible, it is unlikely that your exhaust is causing this slight increase in oil useage. BTW, 1L in 8K KMs is really nothing. I've seen examples of these cars, even in stock form, go for tens of thousands of KMs with next to no oil consumption and then, for no apparent reason, it would start to use oil again. After a few more thousand KMs, the oil useage would stop again.
Like I said, even though you are using more oil than you're used to, it really isn't anything at all.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:59 AM

Ok so it's not something for me to worry. But it's still kinna freaky that all of a sudden my baby is downing it like Guiness.

While we're on this oil question, I checked the manual last night and came across the oil check light and it says something along the line that the light could go on due to "lost of oil pressure." Any idea what this is about? dirty oil, low on oil???
Old 11-03-2004, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Oil consumption is not a result of the exhaust - it is far more likely to be related to a change in your driving style - hi-po exhaust = hi-po driving.

2) "Lost of oil pressure"? I assume you mean "loss". What is it all about? The oil pressure sensor and associated warning light detect when oil pressure is abnormally low.

It should first be said that if it comes on, you should stop then engine and make no attenpt to re-start it, as quickly and as safely as you can.

I also think you are making a mountain out of a molehill - your oil consumption is not even remotely in the drastic range - a quart every 400 miles was not uncommon in the BB Corvettes, for example.

Low oil pressure can occur from lots of things, including but not limited to:
failure of the oil pump, loss of oil either internally or externally, the oil filter case fractures, the oil cooler's case ruptures, the bearings fail from age or a major over-rev, any part of the oil supply loop becomes clogged or restricted, an oil with too low a viscosity is used, an oil too thick is used in extreme cold, someone mistakenly adds something other than oil to the crankcase, the oil fill cap is left off, the piston rings are damaged or completely worn, the oil pickup tube becomes clogged or damaged, inadequate oil volume in the crancase, excessive fuel dilution, and so forth.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:20 AM

I have an aftermarket exhaust and i burn a quart of oil in 1000 kms. Which means 5 qts would finish in 5000 kms. Just keep on adding oil when it burns. Dont worry i researched and found that its a common thing with s2ks. Dont worry at all. Some s2ks burn it more than mine do, some dont burn at all. What oil do you use? I use 10W40 Agip Synthetic. I dont like full synthetic, burn quicker. Mobil1 also burns more than the others, as a person who tried 4 different oils, i choose 10W40. I tried 0W40, 5W30, 10W30, 10W40, I use 10W40 now.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:17 PM

I knew about the oil burning but have not seen it for myself in the last 2 yrs so it's a bit of a paranoid when it starts to go down. I've been using Mobile 1 for the last 5yrs and don't intend to switch to anything else.

Road Rage, as always thanks for the details info on the oil pressure. It's too bad the manual fall short of giving all the useful info you just provided.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Nov 3 2004, 12:36 PM
Although possible, it is unlikely that your exhaust is causing this slight increase in oil useage. BTW, 1L in 8K KMs is really nothing. I've seen examples of these cars, even in stock form, go for tens of thousands of KMs with next to no oil consumption and then, for no apparent reason, it would start to use oil again. After a few more thousand KMs, the oil useage would stop again.
Like I said, even though you are using more oil than you're used to, it really isn't anything at all.
I've experienced the same phenomena with the oil consumption "switch" turning off and on. My car burned 1 quart of oil per 3k miles during the first 20k miles and then stopped one day. I thought that the rings finally sealed up and that was that. Then at the 35k mile mark, it started up again just like before. It's been off and on ever since, but I still check my oil at every fillup.