S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil consumption

Old 09-25-2023, 10:56 PM

Received 210 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
My engine is spotless, and doesn't leak any oil. So I was surprised to find oil inside my oil pressure switch electrical connector, exactly as engifineer is describing. Apparently I found it before it got to point of leaking externally.

Since you already did everything else in that area, and since this is a common issue, and since your leak is in this exact area, I am gonna say that is probably it.

You can also just replace the sensors o ring, instead of entire sensor. There is a thread on it somewhere with the Honda o ring part number.

Looked it up:

O-Ring (13X1.5) - Honda (91319-PAA-A01)
New o ring for the VTEC OPS did not stop oil getting into the connector itself in my case. A replacement OPS solved that issue.
Old 09-25-2023, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer
If it is leaking into the connector I do not think the oring will fix it. If it is leaking just between the sensor and the mating surface it would. So just depends on the leak. Once oil is getting into the connector, the part is just done and should be replaced for sure. Oil in that connector will cause it to degrade and fail over time. I cleaned the harness connector as well as I could with some contact cleaner and some degreaser and replaced the switch. I think the honda part can be had for $50ish and aftermarket ones were around $30.
True story
Old 09-25-2023, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dibsen

You can sort of see in this pic that there is oil in the connector.
Yip. That OPS is done for. Has to be replaced to stop the leak. Weird thing that happens over time...
JDM ECU does not require the OPS for VTEC to be actuated so that port is blocked off with a bolt. Aftermarket ECU does not require it either so I could just blank mine off and make for a cleaner look. Stock non-JDM ECU's do require them as far as I know but I can't recall if I ever tried hitting VTEC with the OPS
connector unplugged when I was stock.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:42 PM

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Yip. That OPS is done for. Has to be replaced to stop the leak. Weird thing that happens over time...
JDM ECU does not require the OPS for VTEC to be actuated so that port is blocked off with a bolt. Aftermarket ECU does not require it either so I could just blank mine off and make for a cleaner look. Stock non-JDM ECU's do require them as far as I know but I can't recall if I ever tried hitting VTEC with the OPS
connector unplugged when I was stock.
I might try that out of curiosity, but first I want to address the leak. I felt guilty coming home after an autoX event and realizing I still had a leak that I thought I fixed. Don’t want to run another event until the engine is tight. Should reduce some of my anxiety about letting the oil get too low and ruining what is an otherwise super clean f20c.

I have been ruminating on forced induction. I think 350bhp on this chassis would be about right.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:02 PM

I might try that out of curiosity, but first I want to address the leak. I felt guilty coming home after an autoX event and realizing I still had a leak that I thought I fixed. Don’t want to run another event until the engine is tight. Should reduce some of my anxiety about letting the oil get too low and ruining what is an otherwise super clean f20c.

I have been ruminating on forced induction. I think 350bhp on this chassis would be about right.
Yes, definitely sort that leak out. Keep an eye on your oil level often regardless of whether there are leaks or not.
I'm 370 ish give or take wheel HP via supercharger tuned on 91 octane and it is super fast! Feels epic
Still shooting for 400 or more at the wheels but altitude has lessened the amount of boost I have.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (09-27-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Yes, definitely sort that leak out. Keep an eye on your oil level often regardless of whether there are leaks or not.
I'm 370 ish give or take wheel HP via supercharger tuned on 91 octane and it is super fast! Feels epic
Still shooting for 400 or more at the wheels but altitude has lessened the amount of boost I have.
for sure. I was taught to check my oil when I gas up long before I ever owned a S, I always keep an eye on my oil. But knowing I have a leak, and knowing what it takes to let this engine spin at 9k rpm give me a whole different kind of anxiety knowing I have a leak.

400 break on an evo feels fast, can’t imagine what that would feel like on the s. I read an old Super Street article a long time ago about a turbo, forged and stroked f20c making 500, street driven.

I already love the way the car drives and feels. I have never driven a boosted vtec. I am really cautious to upset the balance of the car that I love so much. But, I like a little bit of skinny pedal power. Know what I mean?
Old 09-29-2023, 05:18 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Don't build your F series if you want to boost it.

Just address the health of the engine and boost it. Stock ones are fine up to like 600+whp.

They're already forged from the factory. Building them usually ruins them.
The following 2 users liked this post by B serious:
Dibsen (09-29-2023), RolanTHUNDER (10-02-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 07:19 AM

Default Getting there…

New oil pressure switch - $100
New o-ring - $5
Piece of mind while revving the f20 to the high heavens - priceless

[i]Think if I’m still leaking after this I’ll need to start a new thread
The following 2 users liked this post by Dibsen:
jnewtons2k (09-30-2023), windhund116 (09-30-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 07:30 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...1122780/page2/

came across this looking for a torque spec. There wasn’t any liquid gasket on there but I’m going to put a dab of permatex on the threads.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (09-30-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 08:26 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...1122780/page2/

came across this looking for a torque spec. There wasn’t any liquid gasket on there but I’m going to put a dab of permatex on the threads.
I'd use thread sealer. Be sure threads on engine are clean of oil.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption