S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil consumption

Old 09-01-2023, 01:33 PM

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

Thanks for all the comments.

Bill, cool to read all your posts for 10+ years ago and still see you commenting on things that get brought up all the time.

Old 09-02-2023, 09:49 AM

Looks like leaks from the oil filter lines as well as the vtec solenoid looks pretty wet.
Old 09-02-2023, 11:59 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,096 Posts

First thing I'd try is the correct oil filter.

Oil pressure in the S2000 engines can overwhelm generic non-OEM oil filters, incorrect gaskets and poor tightening. Hint: It's impossible for mere mortals to properly hand tighten the oil filter on the S2000 even IF it's the right filter which this one ain't.

-- Chuck
Old 09-02-2023, 03:28 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Number one cause of S2000 demise = wrecks

Number 2 is probably running low on oil then going redline

Number 3, I bet its engine fires from oil filter not torqued down properly (or aftermarket filter which is impossible to torque down beyond normal hand tight (as that would distort gasket and it'd leak badly).

You need the correct Honda filter, and follow closely instructions written on side of filter. As stated, its impossible to comply with these instructions just using hands. You must use a filter socket and wrench.

If there are any humans that can do it by hand, they'd never fit inside an S.
Old 09-03-2023, 06:03 AM

This pic was a little old, this was before I changed the oil. I was having a hard time finding parts locally, so I used a Mobil 1 filter while waited for my oe filters to arrive in the post. I posted this pic but I was trying to hang a video I recorded that shows the wet bolts on the VTEC and the rubber hoses coming off the oil filter. If I can figure it out, I will like the video from my FB page.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (09-03-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 06:05 AM

oil leaks

Old 09-03-2023, 06:39 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Dibsen
This pic was a little old, this was before I changed the oil. I was having a hard time finding parts locally, so I used a Mobil 1 filter while waited for my oe filters to arrive in the post. I posted this pic but I was trying to hang a video I recorded that shows the wet bolts on the VTEC and the rubber hoses coming off the oil filter. If I can figure it out, I will like the video from my FB page.
Oil leaks in the VTEC housing are kinda common. It's a high-pressure area.

I can't open your link. I don't have Facebook or Meta (I'm a practing Luddite ).

Last edited by windhund116; 09-03-2023 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:06 PM

I went to road test, let the engine get up to temp, then ease into vtec in 3nd. Hit the fuel cut (crap). Pulled off, forgot to connect the vtec. Plugged it all back up but then the ecu was holding onto the code (for got the number) and still wouldn't let me get into vtec. Went to the parts store, confirmed 2 codes, vtec, catalytic converter (known). Asked them to clear, apparently they can't do that anymore. Disconnected battery, cleared codes. take a breath.

Now she is running sweet as a top! fells berry smooth all the way through the power band.

Only issue I have now is I can't figure out how to input a Zero "0" for my radio security code. Other than that, very happy with the work and result today.
windhund116 (09-03-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 05:54 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Dibsen
I went to road test, let the engine get up to temp, then ease into vtec in 3nd. Hit the fuel cut (crap). Pulled off, forgot to connect the vtec. Plugged it all back up but then the ecu was holding onto the code (for got the number) and still wouldn't let me get into vtec. Went to the parts store, confirmed 2 codes, vtec, catalytic converter (known). Asked them to clear, apparently they can't do that anymore. Disconnected battery, cleared codes. take a breath.

Now she is running sweet as a top! fells berry smooth all the way through the power band.

Only issue I have now is I can't figure out how to input a Zero "0" for my radio security code. Other than that, very happy with the work and result today.
Off the Net:

Step one: press 1 and 6 Simultaneously WHILE pressing the power button turning it ON (it doesn't matter if you do this with the car running/driving/or just with the key in the on position, it all works the same). It will turn on displaying your 8 digit serial number.

Step two: write it down.

Step three: call this number 1-800-999-1009 its pretty much direct! Press a couple buttons, you get a live person, they ask for the vin, tell you what car it pulls up in their system (it'll be yours, and they'll know if your the original owner or not) you agree, they'll update your info if you wish, tell him your serial number, then they'll tell you the code.

Step three: punch it in, and bam, you haz music again!

Step four: WRITE DOWN THE CODE!!!

Old 09-04-2023, 05:09 AM

Received 210 Likes on 182 Posts

OP all your oil leaks will inflate your oil "consumption" issue. Sort those out asap then monitor. You need new VC gasket, spark plug tube seals, upper cog axle o ring, VTEC solenoid gaskets and o ring at least.
Dibsen (09-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Oil consumption