S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil consumption

Old 10-22-2023, 02:32 PM

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Great news! We need two (2) reports on Monday : 1. How you did on the Autocross and 2. What (if any) oil is still weeping.

-- Chuck

Not a drop since the repair…

… Great turnout…

… and it was nice to see my name at the top of the list!!

The car is running great. I spun on my first hard left and that is consistent with how the car has been feeling since the new alignment. I’m going to see if I can get back to the shop this week and see if they can check the specs. Before I made any changes there was a lot of “warning” until I lose it. There was no warning. Tires are getting worn so that, I’m sure, is contributing. I’d like to get 1 more event (maybe moultree next month) before I go for a 200TW. I also want to slap a front anti roll bar on too. So much to do but I’m having a blast with it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dibsen:
Chuck S (10-23-2023), jnewtons2k (10-23-2023), Slowcrash_101 (10-22-2023), windhund116 (10-22-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 04:02 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Dibsen

… Great turnout…

The car is running great. I spun on my first hard left and that is consistent with how the car has been feeling since the new alignment. I’m going to see if I can get back to the shop this week and see if they can check the specs. Before I made any changes there was a lot of “warning” until I lose it. There was no warning. Tires are getting worn so that, I’m sure, is contributing. I’d like to get 1 more event (maybe moultree next month) before I go for a 200TW. I also want to slap a front anti roll bar on too. So much to do but I’m having a blast with it.
Congrats!
Old 10-23-2023, 12:50 AM

Received 210 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Congrats!
+1
Old 10-23-2023, 06:06 AM

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Originally Posted by Dibsen

… Great turnout…

A properly set up AP1 gives very little warning After you learn it better the ease of rotation is great for autox. But it takes some adjustment. Glad to hear it went well and the car is not losing oil!
Old 11-11-2023, 05:47 AM

Default Who’s using Penzoil?

I can start a new post but there is already a lot of info here and I am still trying to figure out my consumption issue.

Im using Pennzoil and I’m burning/losing about a qt/1000miles.

I bought 2 jugs when I changed my oil. Been topping off with this one and there is only a qt left
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 07:39 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

GTL(shell pennzoil quaker state) oils burn faster than group 3 "synthetics"(valvoline castrol mobil) that's been my experience over 10 years.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 08:43 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,096 Posts

I bought 2 jugs when I changed my oil. Been topping off with this one and there is only a qt left

1 quart in 1,000 miles is not excessive for this car especially with your driving habits.

Stop "topping off." At least for another 1000 miles. No need to add engine oil as long as the level is anywhere on the dip stick -- in any car. Some engines burn (or otherwise shed) oil down to a certain level and then stop. I'm guessing you're adding a mere cup (8 onces) every 250 miles when the level is down an X on the dipstick. Do you really think "down" a cup of oil means anything to the engine? It's in the range so not really "down" just different. And you'll never know if the oil level will stabilize since you're continuing to push the level to the highest level.

My Owner's Manual (and yours):
Remove the dipstick again and
check the level. It should be
between the upper and lower
marks.
If it is near or below the lower mark,
see Adding Oil on page XXX.
-- Chuck

Old 11-15-2023, 09:49 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
How many miles do you get per quart?
3 fillups doesn't tell us much.

1qt per 1K miles is pretty common.

Here is how I measure consumption.

I fill the oil up until the dipstick reads FULL (top of the x's). Simply because this is the easiest level to remember.

Note your mileage, or set the trip meter to 0.

Drive as you normally would. Keep checking oil level at least every gas fill up.

When the oil level drops near the bottom of the X's, note the total miles driven.

Add oil. Note how much oil you add, in order to bring the level back up to the top of the X's.

Now you have mileage driven and quarts added.
Did you ever do this to confirm your rate of use?

You recently fixed some leaks. Why don't you give it some time and record what's being used up?

Check first.

In my experience, certain types of oil seem to disappear faster than others. My car will go thru a quart of 10W30 Mobil1 every 2K miles like clockwork. However, with Castrol 0W40 or 10W30 Edge, the burn off has historically been almost non existant.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
How many miles do you get per quart?
3 fillups doesn't tell us much.

1qt per 1K miles is pretty common.

Here is how I measure consumption.

I fill the oil up until the dipstick reads FULL (top of the x's). Simply because this is the easiest level to remember.

Note your mileage, or set the trip meter to 0.

Drive as you normally would. Keep checking oil level at least every gas fill up.

When the oil level drops near the bottom of the X's, note the total miles driven.

Add oil. Note how much oil you add, in order to bring the level back up to the top of the X's.

Now you have mileage driven and quarts added.
in the last 3k miles, I’ve added 2qt. So I guess I am under the qt/1000mile tolerance. Got to admit, I’d love my car more if it could hold its liquid.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,096 Posts

You're topping up to Max when it's only down a bit or only adding oil when it's at the low mark? See post 117. 107.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 03-20-2024 at 09:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption