S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil checking questions...

Old 10-06-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper
The easiest and best time to check the oil in any car is first thing in the day BEFORE you start the car for the first time, HOWEVER, this is NOT the way Honda wants us to do it (they want a hot check). So, this is what I recommend you should do (as your last use of the car for the day):
Make sure your engine has reached operating temp remembering that the oil temp can be a bit behind the water temp (3 bars). Cool oil will not drain back down into the pan efficiently.
Stop the car on a known level surface and shut off engine. Immediately go out and pull the dipstick, clean it off and leave it out. Wait 3 - 5 minutes. This will allow the oil to drain back into the pan, including any oil that is in the dipstick hole. The presence of the dipstick would interfere with this process and give you a "splotchy" and poorly defined oil line.
When the time is up, put the stick back all the way in for a couple of seconds and pull it out. You should be able to get a good read. You should also discover that the difference between one side and the other should be no more than 1/2 to 1 "X" if done this way. Take note of this reading. You have just done the required "hot" check.
If you are home, great. If not, then take the car home and park it for the night where you usually park it.
The next day, before you start the engine, pull out the dipstick, clean it and put it back in for another reading. This reading will now be the "cold" reading and also on the type of ground you normally park on (level or not, doesn't matter). As the oil has had all night to settle and also to fall out of the dipstick hole, you should be getting a clear read. Compare this reading with the one you got "hot" and on the level and note the difference. Now whenever you need to top up to full, you will know where you need to fill it to in the most convenient place to do this check - your home and without having to wait the 3 - 5 minutes for the oil to drain down.
All - I have a 2008 and changed the oil last weekend with Mobil 1. Added 5.1 qts per my owner's manual. COLD today gave me fully covered diamonds on both sides of the stick (with one side slightly higher). Also did a HOT check today: 1) warmed up engine to 3-4 bars; 2) shut off engine; 3) removed stick and waited about 4 minutes; 4) place back stick and wiped off oi; 5) placed stick by in for a reading. My hot reading is 2 full diamonds on one side and just about 3 full diamonds on the other side of the stick. I did three separate reading and consistently receive the same results. Does this indicate that I should add more oil and get the lower stick to at least 4 diamonds in a HOT check? I expected a higher reading HOT then COLD. Thoughts would be appreciated. Note: I have not driven the car since changing the oil last weekend. I am in the south, so whether conditions are about 80-85 degrees still. I took about 3-4 minutes to reach 3-4 bars to warm up the engine.

Thanks for the feedback. Trying to get this right.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CenturionS2K
All - I have a 2008 and changed the oil last weekend with Mobil 1. Added 5.1 qts per my owner's manual. COLD today gave me fully covered diamonds on both sides of the stick (with one side slightly higher). Also did a HOT check today: 1) warmed up engine to 3-4 bars; 2) shut off engine; 3) removed stick and waited about 4 minutes; 4) place back stick and wiped off oi; 5) placed stick by in for a reading. My hot reading is 2 full diamonds on one side and just about 3 full diamonds on the other side of the stick. I did three separate reading and consistently receive the same results. Does this indicate that I should add more oil and get the lower stick to at least 4 diamonds in a HOT check? I expected a higher reading HOT then COLD. Thoughts would be appreciated. Note: I have not driven the car since changing the oil last weekend. I am in the south, so whether conditions are about 80-85 degrees still. I took about 3-4 minutes to reach 3-4 bars to warm up the engine.

Thanks for the feedback. Trying to get this right.
Yes, you must top it up. You must realize that immediately after you've done an oil change and you have not started the engine up to circulate and warm up the oil, a "cold" check is not yet possible because you have not filled the oil filter or sent the oil to the various static points of the engine where the oil fell out after a "hot" oil change. Filling these regions and the filter can take upwards of 1/2 to 3/4 of a qt.
Always do an oil change, check that the dipstick shows near full before firing it up for the first time. After the next short driving cycle where the engine has gotten up to operating temps, THEN do a cold check the next day and top up. NOW, your oil change is complete. You should always also know the difference in dipstick readings between a proper hot check and a proper cold check so you don't overfill too much. Honda directs us to do the "hot" check but if you know the difference, a cold check is the easier read because there's less slop on the stick.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 PM

[/quote]
Yes, you must top it up. You must realize that immediately after you've done an oil change and you have not started the engine up to circulate and warm up the oil, a "cold" check is not yet possible because you have not filled the oil filter or sent the oil to the various static points of the engine where the oil fell out after a "hot" oil change. Filling these regions and the filter can take upwards of 1/2 to 3/4 of a qt.
Always do an oil change, check that the dipstick shows near full before firing it up for the first time. After the next short driving cycle where the engine has gotten up to operating temps, THEN do a cold check the next day and top up. NOW, your oil change is complete. You should always also know the difference in dipstick readings between a proper hot check and a proper cold check so you don't overfill too much. Honda directs us to do the "hot" check but if you know the difference, a cold check is the easier read because there's less slop on the stick.
[/quote]

Thank you for the excellent advice and good point the need to fill the oil filter for an accurate reading.

Recap and some additional inf from today's readings:

- although I did not drive the car last weekend after changing the oil (6-7 days ago), I did turn it on and let it run until I reached 3 bars.
- I did not drive or run the engine all week until this morning.
- before running the engine today, my COLD reading was full (all 5 diamonds covered)
- then, this morning, I ran the engine until reaching 4 bars. Shut engine off; removed dipstick and waited 4-5 minutes before getting the following HOT reading: 2 full diamonds on one side and just about 3 full diamonds on the other side
- about 10 min ago (around 3 hours after my reading above), I did another reading without running the engine (COLD but not "overnight COLD"): 4 full diamonds on one side and just about 4 diamonds on the lower side. 5th diamond not covered.

Next steps. Shall I:
1. Do an actual "drive" this afternoon for at least 10-15 minutes, then allow the car to sit overnight and do another COLD reading in the morning? Possible results and actions after option 1: a) If the COLD reading gives me at less than 5 diamonds (say, 4) shall I top it off to fill the 5th diamond, touching the H? b) is it necessary to do another HOT reading tomorrow morning if I drive the car today? If so, where should the HOT reading be? I would think that driving the car today for a short period will "ensure" the filter is full and all other areas of the engine get properly lubricated for a final, and accurate, COLD reading tomorrow and topping off to the H.

Question: Should I use the part of the dipstick with that gets the lowest reading to top it off?

2. Is step 1 the best approach?

Thanks again.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:31 PM

You must keep in mind that although your coolant temp gets up to the appropriate number of "bars", the oil temp always lags behind after a cold start. Cool oil will not flow well and it won't flow efficiently back into the oil pan. This is particularly so right after a complete drain like doing an oil change. Yes, you should go for a "proper, regular" drive and then check the oil the next morning as or when it is convenient. You know the level is more or less within the "X's" on the dipstick. This is more than adequate oil in the motor. Remember that so long as the oil is within the "hash" marks, the motor is safe. You can be right at the bottom of the dipstick at the "add" mark and the engine will still be safe.
Don't over-think this or obsess about it too much. You don't have to have exactly enough oil to put it at the "full" mark on the stick. I generally don't even bother with topping up until the level gets to below 1/2 on the stick, but I must admit that when I do an oil change, I'd like to see it topped up at least to start with. This is a good way to monitor and oil consumption that may be occurring. My 2000 AP1 only just stopped using oil this year.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:41 PM

PS. The filter should be full after you run the car for a couple of minutes after an oil change. But the oil won't flow back down into the pan for a good reading. Honda wants us to do a hot reading, so a cold reading will always give about 1 X above that. If you top up to the line when cold, the level should be more than fine. Then do all your checks cold and you'll be consistent. Use the side of the stick that gives you the lowest reading. The difference isn't significant (1 X), so don't worry about it.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by xviper
PS. The filter should be full after you run the car for a couple of minutes after an oil change. But the oil won't flow back down into the pan for a good reading. Honda wants us to do a hot reading, so a cold reading will always give about 1 X above that. If you top up to the line when cold, the level should be more than fine. Then do all your checks cold and you'll be consistent. Use the side of the stick that gives you the lowest reading. The difference isn't significant (1 X), so don't worry about it.

Great stuff. Thank you! I will do a proper, regular, drive this afternoon, then will do a COLD check in the morning; and add more oil, as needed. I will aim at the 4th or top, 5th, diamond, COLD, using the side of the dipstick with the lowest reading. Sounds like I may end up higher than owner manual’s 5.1 qt (w/ filter) capacity ( I am already at 5.1qt).
Specifications section of manual states:
5.1 qt including filter
4.8 qt without filter
Total 5.9 qt (this must be the real max capacity?). Yet, the “changing the oil and filter” section of the manul states “engine oil change capacity, 5.1 qt.” I read folks on S2k that always top at 5.5 Just caught myself overanalyzing this again….
Good information on the discrepancy between coolant and oil temp. Interesting: you mentioned that a cold reading will give about 1x above hot—this is consistent with my experience today: my hot reading was below my cold reading, albeit not a proper reading since I had not driven the car; however, some folks believe that a hot reading will always be higher due to oil expansion (I know, and now understand, this is not necessarily the case).
As a side note, I cannot imagine the “jiff lubes” of the world or Honda Dealesrs caring for any of this. Sounds like they would just pour the oil per the manufacture’s recommendation (here 5.1qst), check, and that’s it. I have a fumoto valve and waited at least 1.5 to 2 hours before closing the valve.
Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:32 PM

The quantities indicated in the manual is not always what most people will put in after an oil change. Some will put in as much as 6 qts. It also depends on whether a person does a hot or cold drain and how long a drain is given.
Certainly, hot oil expands but this may be insignificant if the oil is not allowed to drain back down into the pan after the last engine run. If you fire up the engine as in right after an oil change to circulate the oil around and to fill the filter, then shut it off when the oil is still cold, the cool oil that hangs up in the motor will take a long time to come back down. This, compared to the few minutes for hot oil to fall back down when doing a hot check. Yet, even more oil will fall back down if left overnight. Folly is an oil level check when the oil is cold or cool immediately after engine shut down, when oil is splashed all over engine internals. Cool oil is more viscous than hot oil. IE, it sticks more and flows less well.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info. One question: My car got a recent oil change and my friend wanted to do it for me while I was busy(I trust him, he knows what he's doing) except he only put in about 4.8-5 qtz of oil, when our cars take up to 5.1, right? So now, when I check the dipstick, it looks like nothing is on it, just barely and its really clear. I haven't done the proper long way, but shouldn't you at least be able to see some on there? Is it because there isn't enough oil?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a fantastic thread. My 2.5rs would always give me such all over the place readings when doing a hot check. I eventually started checking cold just because I was getting consistent readings. Now I know why. Thanks for the great information viper.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:55 AM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Xvipers first post in this thread, whefe he gives the info for checking hot vs cold, is from 10 YEARS AGO. But I'm sure he appreciates the thanks nonetheless.