S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

oil check

Old 08-26-2010, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil check

Hi...all
When I check my oil i was confused

On one side indicates that the oil is at minimum but on the other side is a full oil
The car was parked on a level road and i check the oil in the morning

Befor 500-600km. refilled 1L

Old 08-26-2010, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always check on the lower side. The difference is created by excess oil sticking the stick on the way out.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:41 AM

When getting gas I use the following procedure:

1) Stop, pop trunk and fuel door
2) Remove oil dipstick, clean off with paper towel, leave sticking out of the top of the engine
3) Fill up with some gas
4) After the 5 minutes or so go check the stick again
5) Take 3 readings, back to back, after wiping the stick clean each time.

I had to go through all this trouble to get consistent readings. Some times it would be high, some times it would be low, some times it'd be different on each side.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:47 AM

i remember reading somewhere in the forums the dipstick reads that way due to the motor being slightly tilted so the driver side of the dipstick would read lower then the passenger side. dont have time to search for the post at the moment though
Old 08-26-2010, 10:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never had any issue with this. Just pull it out and wipe it, put it back in and then check it. It's obvious(to me anyways) what the level is. I did have issues trying to see the oil with a fresh oil change.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 PM

i've always found it sometimes difficult to read the dipstick at times, but for the most part I just read the lower side.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:59 PM

always read the lower side. the other "Side" is picking up oil from somewhere other then the crankcase
Old 08-27-2010, 05:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep taking readings (after letting it sit for 5 minutes). Both sides will be even after a few attempts.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by H22toF20,Aug 26 2010, 10:56 PM
I've never had any issue with this. Just pull it out and wipe it, put it back in and then check it. It's obvious(to me anyways) what the level is. I did have issues trying to see the oil with a fresh oil change.
Sure you can do that - you can also drive around with your eyes closed too and just assume you aren't hitting stuff: I don't necessarily think either of those ideas is a good one. The fact that every time you read the dipstick it indicates everything is fine does not necessarily mean that you are actually measuring anything with it properly.

For instance, oil collects on the inside of the tube and wipes off onto the stick as it slides through, throwing off readings on one or both sides. My dipstick consistently read high until I started using a procedure; I was amazed at just how high it was being thrown off. Something along the lines of 1/2 the range of the tool itself. So you can check the oil all you want and if you aren't careful it can be meaningless.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by triddle,Aug 27 2010, 06:47 AM
Sure you can do that - you can also drive around with your eyes closed too and just assume you aren't hitting stuff: I don't necessarily think either of those ideas is a good one. The fact that every time you read the dipstick it indicates everything is fine does not necessarily mean that you are actually measuring anything with it properly.

For instance, oil collects on the inside of the tube and wipes off onto the stick as it slides through, throwing off readings on one or both sides. My dipstick consistently read high until I started using a procedure; I was amazed at just how high it was being thrown off. Something along the lines of 1/2 the range of the tool itself. So you can check the oil all you want and if you aren't careful it can be meaningless.
why not just do it in the morning?

Quick Reply: oil check