S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Change - Smoke and Vtec not pulling as well

Old 04-08-2009, 03:43 PM
skhalid7

Hey all, so I checked the oil filter it seems tight...no leaks at all. The oil level is also okay. I guess it was just the dropped oil that was burning....But boy can I feel the difference, it feels like there is no Vtec at all...it's really lacking compared to before. It was so smooth prior to the oil change, a real kick in the pants when you hit Vtec....now, I don't feel it...just feels like through out the power band it has lost power.

Indymac, u're right seems like a loss of fuel economy as well. I was using Esso 91(in Canada) prior to the oil change and the same day as the oil change I filled up Sunoco 94...but seems to be eating more gas.

Why would anyone want to use 5W-40 if you loose power and fuel economy??

The shop I went to did the oil change....A very reputable shop and he recommended first the 300V, but I don't really think I will take it to the track so then we did the Motul 8100...... He used some oil filter company called, "Full".....I had asked him what he uses and he said that is all they use and that its a good filter.....

I also had him check my valves as I did a damn miss shift from 4th-2nd and was worried about damage....he said everything was perfect. He said he would do a valve adjustment at the same time if needed.....I didn't get to ask him afterwards if he did anything but I wonder if he did touch them and misadjusted something if that would also have an affect?? I doubt that he even adjusted the valves.....with just over 5000 miles I'm sure the valves wouldn't even be off.......
Old 04-08-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has your check engine light come on ?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:09 PM

maybe the vtec celenoid is loose or faulty
Old 04-08-2009, 06:20 PM
skhalid7

NO check engine light came on
Old 04-09-2009, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is the viscosity of the new oil that has made the difference. Try a 10W-30, 5W-30 or 0W30 oil next time and you will be happy again. Also, use the Honda PCX004 oil filter instead of the shop filter. It is specifically designed for the S2000 only. Cheap insurance IMO.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:36 AM
skhalid7

Today the car is driving much better....I don't know if it takes a bit for the first time synthetic to settle in....although still not the same.

Yes I was a little sceptical when he said they use a filter called "Full"....but I remembered to ask him after the car was already in.....

Should I use a 10W-30 Full Synthetic, Semi-Synthetic or regular oil? I'm thinking of calling this oil change a write off and going to Honda and getting a proper one with a Honda filter done....any thoughts??

Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I don't really think you need to change your oil. The 5W-40 Motul is of the highest quality and will work in the S2000 (recommended by Honda for cold weather because of the 5W too). The 5W-40's are very popular with the european engine manufacturers, but not neccessarily the best choice for the S2000 (low torque/HP already). If you were SC or turbocharged, it would be a great choice.

If you decide to run the oil as is, go buy a Honda PCX15400-004 oil filter and take the one that's on there off. It's easy. Just hold a shop rag or paper towel under it and unscrew it (counter-clockwise). Be careful to hold the filter up after you unscrew it to not allow oil to drip on your engine. Then screw on the new Honda filter (handtight). Double check the filter for tightness everytime you check the oil when cold. I doubt that you will even have to add any oil after changing the filter.

As far as oil recommendations go, it usually turns into a heated debate (think religion, guns, pollitics). If you want premium synthetic, look at AMSOIL 10W-30 ATM. If you want a group III synthetic, look at AMSOIL 10W-30 XL, Valvoline Synpower 10W-30, or Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30. If you want a conventional, try any name brand SM/GF-4 10W-30. All of the synthetics I have tried seem to smooth out the VTEC kick in the butt sensation. Conventional oils bring it back because most of them shear to a 20wt oil IMO. I prefer the smoother VTEC with the synthetics for the long haul in my S2000 though.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:27 AM
skhalid7

Awesome feedback Indymac. I will put on a new honda filter and will run with this oil for now. Maybe I'll like the smoothed out feeling better.

Oh tough decision cause yes it smooths it out and better engine protection but then the other end of the spectrum with the kick in the pants is an awesome feeling.

thanks again!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:01 PM

10w30 atm amsoil like indy says, and DO YOUR OWN OIL CHANGE!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:29 PM
skhalid7

Went to the Honda dealer today and picked up a Honda filter.... they also sell the Amsoil stuff. I think I will be doing my own oil changes from now on.....I hate it when others work on my car...can't trust anyone's work these days.....

Quick Reply: Oil Change - Smoke and Vtec not pulling as well