S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

oil change needs...

Old 05-25-2005, 07:48 AM
ayS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change needs...

okay i know this is probably been discussed many times, but i did not find a topic that fit what i am looking for. i am going to attempt to do my own oil change, but i want to make sure i am not missing anything. so i compiled a list of what i think...i need for an oil change and so here goes...
1)Honda oil filter (buy at dealership?)
2)drain plug (buy at dealership?)
3)new oil 10w-30(any at any autoparts store?)
4)jack stands (do i need 2?)
5) what kind of tools do i need to get, and what socket or instrument do i need to use on the bolt pattern for the washer to get it off?

i THINK...i've covered it wait...OH yeah the oil pan, can i get one at the autoparts store as well?

sorry if some of the questions sounds rediculous. i guess you gotta start somewhere...
Old 05-25-2005, 07:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70348
Old 05-25-2005, 09:28 AM

You won't need a new oil plug... or a oil filter from the dealership. Go down to your local auto parts store and look throught the book of oil filters find your car and it tells you which one to buy off the shelf. then if it's fairly warm where you live and you drive it often I'd put Mobile One 5W30 in it. Read your owners manual and see what it calls for in the amount of oil. You might as well do the air filter at the same time, that also can be bought at the auto part store... most likely its an odd shape so some dont have it. Then yeah jack stands help jack up the car and pull the oil drain plug. Let drain and then remove the oil filter. Take the new filter and dip your finger in the new oil and run it around the oil filter gasket so you get a good seal. put that on and put the drain plug back on not as tight as you can cause it will expand but get it good and snug. then put the appropriate amount of oil in from the oil cap on top of the engine. good to go.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:40 AM

Do not use mobil 1 or any synthetic oil if you have not reached about 10,000 miles on the engine yet.

How many miles do you have on the engine? it's adviseable to keep the factory oil in for the first 5000 miles or so.

And you really SHOULD get the honda OEM oil filter from the dealership. a parts store is not going to carry the S2000-spec made filter that honda does. This car is quite unique, and the S2000 oil filter is designed for optimal flows and specs. (when you look at the part number it should have PCX in it on your invoice)
Old 05-25-2005, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,May 25 2005, 12:40 PM
Do not use mobil 1 or any synthetic oil if you have not reached about 10,000 miles on the engine yet.

How many miles do you have on the engine? it's adviseable to keep the factory oil in for the first 5000 miles or so.

And you really SHOULD get the honda OEM oil filter from the dealership. a parts store is not going to carry the S2000-spec made filter that honda does. This car is quite unique, and the S2000 oil filter is designed for optimal flows and specs. (when you look at the part number it should have PCX in it on your invoice)
Do not use mobil 1 or any synthetic oil if you have not reached about 10,000 miles on the engine yet

Why we can not use mobile1 untill 10.000 miles?
Old 05-25-2005, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ayS,May 25 2005, 07:48 AM
i guess you gotta start somewhere...
How about starting by showing up to one of our many TECH days?

If I have to twist your arm, I'll do it......

Besides......"ELUDE" has the parts you asked him to pick up for you on the last techday that you did not show up. Which was not cool by the way...

You will not regret it...and all your questions will be answered. We can walk you through it and have you turn your own wrenches.

Just a thought....
Old 05-25-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ayS,May 25 2005, 07:48 AM
okay i know this is probably been discussed many times, but i did not find a topic that fit what i am looking for. i am going to attempt to do my own oil change, but i want to make sure i am not missing anything. so i compiled a list of what i think...i need for an oil change and so here goes...
1)Honda oil filter (buy at dealership?)
2)drain plug (buy at dealership?)
3)new oil 10w-30(any at any autoparts store?)
4)jack stands (do i need 2?)
5) what kind of tools do i need to get, and what socket or instrument do i need to use on the bolt pattern for the washer to get it off?

i THINK...i've covered it wait...OH yeah the oil pan, can i get one at the autoparts store as well?

sorry if some of the questions sounds rediculous. i guess you gotta start somewhere...
you should use the PCX Honda OEM oil filter....get from dealer or order online at hardtopguy or whereever.

2 jack stands minimum, but i'd get 4 jack stands and just lift the entire car......less drama cause you don't have to lower the car and raise again to drain the oil.....

Old 05-25-2005, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by danss2k,May 25 2005, 12:33 PM
Do not use mobil 1 or any synthetic oil if you have not reached about 10,000 miles on the engine yet

Why we can not use mobile1 untill 10.000 miles?
mobil 1 is synthetic. don't use synthetic until 7500-10k. it has to do with our FRM cylinder walls breaking in properly.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:56 PM
ayS

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,May 25 2005, 05:40 PM

thanks wisconsin on the heads up! , i just went and picked up a oil filter and drainbolt washer. i i am currently coming up on 3k. i just picked up some mobil 10w30 as well. hopefully, it's okay oil?
Old 05-25-2005, 06:03 PM
ayS

Originally Posted by SIIK2NR,May 25 2005, 07:07 PM
How about starting by showing up to one of our many TECH days?

If I have to twist your arm, I'll do it......

Besides......"ELUDE" has the parts you asked him to pick up for you on the last techday that you did not show up. Which was not cool by the way...

You will not regret it...and all your questions will be answered. We can walk you through it and have you turn your own wrenches.

Just a thought....
hi sIIknr, i've been meaning to make it to one of the meets. but i am always busy to make any of the times. about that drain washer though, im not sure if i told him to buy it for me, but what i remember was that i asked him how much one was and he took the liberty to buy it for me (i understand) and no hard feelings, i can pay for it next time i meet up with you guys! 25 cents. hehe...

Quick Reply: oil change needs...