S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

oil change gone wrong! oil everywhere!

Old 12-11-2009, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try leaving the oil cap off! what a muckin fess!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

damn. well what you probably saw smoking was oil burning off all over your exhaust.

Always remember to tighten down your filter, go for a short drive and retigthen it. Remember what happens to things as they heat and cool? they expand and contract. same thing with your oil filter. If it makes you even more comforted, try making an anti oil spinoff device for piece of mind.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys just got back and the beast is going to be ok!!! the seal from the old filter was still there, got stuck to the new filter, DUH! I feel retarded now but I guess a lot of people make that mistake too, she is a little smelly now but running like nothing ever happened, I have to be more careful from now on, just happy that it wasnt something huge and all it cost me was another filter 5 more quarts and having to do an oil change in the middle of the street at a 50 degree weather with some flashlights! very relieve tho, thanks for all the replies, s2k forever!!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 02:56 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

You'll have oil dripping for a while.

I prefer to use a Honda filter and turn it 7/8ths of a turn, the numbered indicators that Honda puts on their filters is supposed to prevent this type of problem - very good move by Honda. The second way is to torque the filter to spec, but the first way is so easy why bother. Overtightening is just as bad as undertightening.

Lastly, whenever you remove an old filter check to make sure that the old gasket leaves with the old filter. If you install a new filter where the gasket of an old filter is stuck to the mating surface you will end up with a similair mess as you have experienced. When I first read the title of your post I immediately thought of the double gasket issue/mistake. It happens quite a bit out there.

Good luck degreasing that baby, Spray nine is excellent at cleaning up oil residue.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:50 PM

I worked with RC cars many years and one thing I learned is how to torque things using your body strengh.

OIL drain bold and Filter MUST be tighten "hand tight", but many ppl doesn't get what this means.

if u use your hand there are 3 ways to tight it, and those 3 ways are different.

If you use your entire body stretching to turn your hand you are giving too much torque!!! result OVERTIGHT

if you use your ARM (you know it when u swing your elbow) you are still applying too much torque. result OVERTIGHT

the correct way is to turn ONLY your WRIST. Extend your arm and twist your wrist in circular motion back and foward... That's the proper way to tight those 2 elements.

I guarantee you that u will NOT be able to tight it more than your wirst strenght will allow! and that's exactly what hand tight means. This also apply to spark plugs.
I never stripped in my whole life a spark plug, oil drain bolt or filter and even I never stripped an RC glow Plug

Cheers
Old 12-11-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by retvet,Dec 11 2009, 02:48 PM
The oil filter is supposed to be installed hand-tight--not ratcheted down. Perhaps that is the source of your problem. Sorry for your situation.
Wrong!

At least for those of us who don't resemble Lou Ferigno or Arnold Schartzenneger.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:33 PM

what if im so strong i break it? im all buffed up. i can bench press 300lbs. so if i hand tighten it ill be using 300 ft/lbs of torque.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:26 PM

I suspect that you fit the description of guys I specifically excluded from my statement.

Note that you can bench press 300 lbs, but you probably can't generate 300 ft-lbs of torque without a lever. Grab a screwdriver, insert it into the head of a screw inline, not at across, and generate 300 ft-lb of torque. If you can do this, I salute you as a "manly man" because I cannot generate that kind of torque on a screwdriver handle.

If you can grab an oil filter with your bare hands and break it, I salute you sir!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:31 PM

To the OP:

I had the obverse experience a couple of years ago. I removed the old o-ring with the old filter, rubbed a drop of oil on the o-ring on the new filter, installed the filter, filled the sump, and started the car. I got a waterfall of oil: think Exxon Valdez here. The o-ring on the cheap-ass Fram filter came off as I installed it.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

OEM BOYZ.

and to the op...just think this of this ordeal as your yearly preventative maintenance engine flush!

Quick Reply: oil change gone wrong! oil everywhere!