S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil change frequency Ap1

Old 12-08-2013, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil change frequency Ap1

So I have an Ap1 burns 1 quart every 1k miles like most ap1's.

So if I am adding new oil all the time why ever do a complete oil dump? Seems to be a waste of oil and money. Why not just change filter,keep running high grade synthetic oil and just keep it topped off?

Your thoughts? Bad idea??

Oops should have put this in under the hood. admin help. Thx. you guys are on it
Old 12-08-2013, 07:58 AM

1 qt every 1k miles is a lot.Do you have a leak,mechanical problem or just driving hard all the time?

IMO...oil is cheap....hard parts are not.

I would still change oil & filter every 5k.

\rlr
Carolina
Old 12-08-2013, 08:00 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

It is the lighter components of the oil that carry the additives that burn-off quickest/first. If you don't change your oil over time it will be more concentrated with wear particles, soot, acid, and dirt, and less cleaning and anti-wear additives. There is no telling what the TBN number will be over a long period of time. When the TBN number approaches 1.0-2.0 you are best to change the oil as most of the cleaning and protective properties have been eliminated. A good oil will start with a TBN of maybe 10-12.

A used oil analysis will alert you to the best time to change your oil if you are in the experimenting phase.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by redlineracing
1 qt every 1k miles is a lot.Do you have a leak,mechanical problem or just driving hard all the time?

IMO...oil is cheap....hard parts are not.

I would still change oil & filter every 5k.

rlr
Carolina
From what I have seen here for ap1 this is typical oil burn. The car does not leak a drop. Motor is solid. I dont feel I drive my car hard thats kinda a opinion everyone has as to what is hard. Redline sure all the time no. vtec yes at least once on every drive yes, all the time no. My car is clean and I dont abuse it imo.

I was just curious of what others think or if they have actually done any testing of oil samples after this type of practice. I would think if your filter is good and changed regulary This should be safe to do.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my AP1 doesn't burn hardly any oil...1 quart every 1000 miles seems excessive...and my personal opinion and mechanical opinion, you should still change it....the fact youre running synthetic oil may be the cause of all your oil burn off...try using a conventional oil
Old 12-08-2013, 09:13 AM

I never have to add oil to my 03 w/94k miles.Most of my driving is at interstate speeds ( 70-80) and I always let it "breathe" on the on ramps.Check the PCV valve.If it's clogged it might cause some oil usuage.

What oil & weight are you using?

\rlr
Carolina
Old 12-08-2013, 09:35 AM

In your other post you suggested running a 7k mile oil change interval, that should be fine with a good quality synthetic oil.

My ap1 runs about 1 quart every 3-4 k miles. Ap1's use more oil than ap2's as their cylinders were not bored with a dummy head/torque plate in place, they changed that on the ap2's and it made a big difference in terms of oil consumption rates.

An engine doesn't have an oil consumption issue until it exceeds 1.5 quarts per 1000 miles, so I think you are still safe. I would check or replace your pcv valve as mentioned above, maybe consider a different oil brand/viscosity as well as different oils get consumed at different rates.

Amsoil 10w30 signature series has the lowest volatility burn-off rates of any oil that I've seen, that plays a factor in oil consumption. I had good success with Castrol Edge Titanium as well. I always found that Mobil1 had higher rates of oil consumption along with some conventional over the counter oils.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:54 AM

thats odd.... i burn a quart every 3k miles and i have 150k miles on my motor... you burn more then the average ap1... ap1s do burn oil but a quart every 1k is kinda crazy... may be time to run 10w 40
Old 12-08-2013, 12:50 PM

I will ckeck pcv valve. It was my estimate of oil usage it was approx not exact.

I think I was trying to get out of changing the oil today. I did it its done. I just put in 10/40 mobile 1 synthetic Its full I will set trip meter and get a more accurate measure.

Thanks for tips the motor seemed happy today after the change took the s for a quick whip on my isolated local road seems strong as ever. It may be mental but it does seem to always run smoother after a oil change.

Have a good one
Old 12-08-2013, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bliss
I will ckeck pcv valve. It was my estimate of oil usage it was approx not exact.

I think I was trying to get out of changing the oil today. I did it its done. I just put in 10/40 mobile 1 synthetic Its full I will set trip meter and get a more accurate measure.

Thanks for tips the motor seemed happy today after the change took the s for a quick whip on my isolated local road seems strong as ever. It may be mental but it does seem to always run smoother after a oil change.

Have a good one
Mobil1 makes an excellent 0w40, it has a really nice additive package and works well across a broad range of temps. I've always wanted to try that formula on this car. I am currently using Amsoil 5w40 European Full SAPs formula. The Mobil1 and Amsoil 40 weights tend to be on the thinner side of the 40 weight spectrum so you shouldn't notice any power loss despite the move up in viscosity.

Let us know how this new oil compares after you put some miles on it.

Quick Reply: Oil change frequency Ap1