S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil change before winter.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Or just park the car that has roughly 1,200 miles on the oil.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:37 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Or just park the car that has roughly 1,200 miles on the oil.
That's what I do
Old 11-05-2014, 04:05 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

This issue has been debated to death, oil change before storage or after. I am not sure I have ever read a definite answer. I am calling Blackstone and getting their expert advice.

One thing I will say is that if the car sits and then you change the oil, I would prime the filter and prime the engine by cranking it a couple times before starting. If you don't that is one dry start!
Old 11-06-2014, 04:54 AM

I called Blackstone to get their take, they look at thousands of oil samples, so I take their word with confidence. Right from them "it does not matter". "The engine is a closed system, so any moisture getting into the engine in the 4 months of storage is minimal to none and will not effect the oil, so putting it away with used oil will pose zero risk to the car." "Any metals settling out of the engine should be minimal because the oils properties keep metals into suspension, even for 4 months, any metals large enough to fall out of suspension should be minimal and would get caught by the filter, so new oil sitting for 4 months will be fine as well"
Old 11-07-2014, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for calling them and reporting back man. This should settle the discussion for now and any upcoming one too
Old 11-08-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by trep
Wow, thanks for calling them and reporting back man. This should settle the discussion for now and any upcoming one too
Lol at up comming one. I've noticed one thing on this site. People love to make new threads about the same topics. If it isn't about what oil to use, it will be which exhaust is the quietest lol
Old 11-08-2014, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I called Blackstone to get their take, they look at thousands of oil samples, so I take their word with confidence. Right from them "it does not matter". "The engine is a closed system, so any moisture getting into the engine in the 4 months of storage is minimal to none and will not effect the oil, so putting it away with used oil will pose zero risk to the car." "Any metals settling out of the engine should be minimal because the oils properties keep metals into suspension, even for 4 months, any metals large enough to fall out of suspension should be minimal and would get caught by the filter, so new oil sitting for 4 months will be fine as well"
Thanks for calling to get the professional perspective on this. Much appreciated.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Yaupon
Originally Posted by bgoetz' timestamp='1415282096' post='23395627
Thanks for calling to get the professional perspective on this. Much appreciated.
Selfish motives, I was hoping they would provide me with a definite answer on when I should change mine. Now I am still not sure!!

In reality it is likely nothing more than snake oil, I dont think you can go too wrong either way. Now storage of 1yr+ and I would think about new oil before and after
Old 11-09-2014, 04:30 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by trep
X2
Levi
Old 11-12-2014, 05:10 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Yes, and good for you for actually using common sense!

It does not matter.

In reality it is likely nothing more than snake oil, I dont think you can go too wrong either way. Now storage of 1yr+ and I would think about new oil before and after
If the car is sitting in storage, the oil is sitting in a pan in storage - same basic principle. Why change the oil before and again after, with zero use? Just let the old oil sit and replace with fresh oil when the vehicle re-enters service.

Quick Reply: Oil change before winter.