S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Change advice

Old 09-17-2007, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change advice

Tip o' the Day!

So yesterday I went to pick up an oil catch-pan for the dirty stuff coming out of my car. I bought this cool looking one that is more like a large winshield washer fluid jug with an indented area on one side, and a drain hole with a screw-in plug. I thought it made sense because I could transport the oil to a place where I could appropriately dispose of it.

Something like this:

IF you are going to use a drain pan like this in your friend's garage and he doesn't know you're doing an oil change on his perfectly clean, porous concrete floor, make SURE the drain bolt from the oil pan does not fall down and end up plugging the drain hole in the catch pan.

I watched about 5 quarts of dirty oil cover the floor of his garage while my other buddy leapt into action and caught about half a quart in another little bucket. It sat there for about 2 hours while I finished changing the oil, swapping the wheels, and reinstalling my cat. I got busted when he came out to ask if I wanted a turkey burger and there was a 6 foot wide heart-shaped stain on the floor of his garage. I told him it was a sign of my love. He didn't make me a burger and threw a granola bar at me for dinner instead.

Side note: Dish soap and WD-40 worked wonders in removing nearly all stains when rubbed in with my hands in nitrile gloves (no brushing necessary), and finally sprayed with a pressure washer.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:56 AM

I've done that too (not quite with the unfortunate results that you had though).

I accidently dropped the drain bolt in the pan, and figured I could get it out after the oil finished draining. Instead the pan started filling up, and short story shorter, I got the bolt out really fast and had a nice, extremely hot, oil-covered arm to show for it.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:13 PM

Totally recommend buying a box of blue nitrile gloves (like laytex but much tougher) because they keep your hands and fingernails nice and clean, and make it much more comfortable when you've gotta shove your hand into a bucket of hot oil.

I was convinced it was a faulty design of the catch pan when the oil started spilling everywhere (ie, drain hole too small) and was throwing a little fit over how mad I was and how I was going to tear a strip off someone at the store, etc etc. when I discovered the bolt lodged in there I'm a doofus.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol. I just use a 10 quart bucket and lay cardboard boxes out under the car.

Although last week when I changed my oil I managed to drop the filter into the bucket full of oil and it splashed all over the underside of the car.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nothing clean up oil stain like kitty litter.

that's a nice oil pan, they are nice for diy for one or two car.

i am using a slim tray to catch all my dirty oil, transfer it into a oil tank and then dump it at autozone. those pan will not last me a week in my garage
Old 09-17-2007, 03:07 PM

Lets be honest though, it's not like I'm slugging this tub that is full of oil, and has oil all over the outside of it to some shop somewhere. I think I should just get an open pan, and pour the used oil back into the new empty jugs. Clean and simple and the catch pan never has to touch the inside of my car.

Them oil filters can get pretty slippery, and I'd always been told to fill the new filter up before installing it so there's usually a drip or two that comes off when the filter is turned sideways to install.

Oil changes are not a simple clean task and I think I understand why some people get other folks to do it for them. I just enjoy being under my car and getting my hands dirty, so I'd probably do it myself even if it cost the same as having it done.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:21 PM

Just get one of these and all is well

You can see the drain pan in the front
Old 09-17-2007, 11:04 PM

Thaaat's not fair...honestly, who has their own lift? Spoiled

I am thinking when I move out of the condo and get my own garage, I'll be breaking up the garage floor and digging a pit to work in. Seems like the easiest and cheapest option, plus it won't require any maintenance to ensure it's in good repair like a lift would. Just throw some grates over it when not in use and you've got a nice sealed up floor so people don't fall in.

I'm surprised more people don't do this, actually.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyCB,Sep 18 2007, 03:04 AM
Thaaat's not fair...honestly, who has their own lift? Spoiled

I am thinking when I move out of the condo and get my own garage, I'll be breaking up the garage floor and digging a pit to work in. Seems like the easiest and cheapest option, plus it won't require any maintenance to ensure it's in good repair like a lift would. Just throw some grates over it when not in use and you've got a nice sealed up floor so people don't fall in.

I'm surprised more people don't do this, actually.
Probably because it's not a simple task to dig a nice hole through a concrete slab and then have collapsible dirt walls.

That's my guess.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by daktruckie99,Sep 18 2007, 10:42 AM
Probably because it's not a simple task to dig a nice hole through a concrete slab and then have collapsible dirt walls.

That's my guess.
Good point.
I used to do alot of hole-digging when I was in the military, and I can tell you it's not an easy job.

Dan

Quick Reply: Oil Change advice