S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Catch Can Installed-hoses Collapsing

Old 07-21-2004, 06:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Catch Can Installed-hoses Collapsing

I just installed the Cusco catch can
and noticed that more so the outake hose leading to the intake manifold collapses, not to the point where its completely collapsed though. The intake also collapses but not as much.
I hooked up my vaccum gauge and was pulling normal vacuum at idle-20 inches of vacuum.

Someone else had posted with the same problem but cant find the post.

My conclusion is that the braided hoses provided are too flexible. I will probably change the hoses to the normal black rubber hoses.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My catch can is not the cusco, but I'm using regular black fuel line with no problems.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander,Jul 21 2004, 09:48 PM
My catch can is not the cusco, but I'm using regular black fuel line with no problems.
oh ok thanks for your reply

I will be changing mine then...
Old 07-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

I've had iffy luck with some off the braided transparent hoses colapsing. Some do, some don't. I'd swap to some black oil resistant reinforced fuel line.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going through this right now, I had bought some braided hose from Home Depot and it is collapsing at idle and inflates under boost and when the guys saw it at the shop they told me to get either fuel injection or oil cooler hose - it is black but much stiffer - I bought oil cooler hose by the foot at a Auto Zone for a buck a foot and will do the swap this weekend!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by nzaizar,Jul 21 2004, 11:08 PM
I am going through this right now, I had bought some braided hose from Home Depot and it is collapsing at idle and inflates under boost and when the guys saw it at the shop they told me to get either fuel injection or oil cooler hose - it is black but much stiffer - I bought oil cooler hose by the foot at a Auto Zone for a buck a foot and will do the swap this weekend!
thats exactly where I bought mine from. Cusco's can comes with a braided transparent hose but not enough to insall both sides so I went to Home Depot and wasted my money on the collapsing hoses
Old 07-21-2004, 08:50 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

You could always try Lowes
Old 07-21-2004, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Jul 21 2004, 11:50 PM
You could always try Lowes
lol i tried them first but they didnt have the transparent collapsing hoses
Old 07-22-2004, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing happened to my cusco catch can. The transparent hose supplied by cusco flattened from heat when I was on the track and started to make a sucking sound.

I think one of the reasons why it flattened for me was because it ran over part of the engine area where it gets quite hot. I have replaced it with a much longer or more solid black rubber line from OSH and route it around the engine area. I have not had any problems since.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by human,Jul 22 2004, 09:00 AM
The same thing happened to my cusco catch can. The transparent hose supplied by cusco flattened from heat when I was on the track and started to make a sucking sound.

I think one of the reasons why it flattened for me was because it ran over part of the engine area where it gets quite hot. I have replaced it with a much longer or more solid black rubber line from OSH and route it around the engine area. I have not had any problems since.
I placed my catch can on the intake side of the engine bay and it still gets pretty hot to make the hose a lot more bendable and collapsable
But i went down to Autozone and fixed the problem...

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can Installed-hoses Collapsing