S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil cap is gone

Old 07-27-2012, 08:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LMFAO I enjoyed reading all the comments in this thread, and this picture nearly made me lose it at work:

Hahahah, I know all you guys must have been soooo frustrated while working on this. These stories will make me extra cautious the next time I have the oil cap off!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
LMFAO I enjoyed reading all the comments in this thread, and this picture nearly made me lose it at work:

Hahahah, I know all you guys must have been soooo frustrated while working on this. These stories will make me extra cautious the next time I have the oil cap off!

Yeah, mine was much worse than that. In that picture, the oil cap would have been in the top of the picture, around the far side of the transmission, probably out of view, deeper to the rear of the car. Turned on its side (vertical, if you consider the one in the picture to be horizontal).

When I finally found it, I yanked it, and it ended up int he position shown in the picture. I was so relieved because, relatively speaking, it was easy after that.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 AM

Happened to me last summer and when trying to take it off, it also get into the transmission. Cap is still there and I didn't figured out how to get to it, I had to take it off since the rattle is kind of annoying.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:06 AM

Any chance it would fall somewhere around the passenger side? Because that is where I'm hearing all these weird noises from. Rattle, vibrations, etc.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:55 AM

Yesterday I decided to work on that. I did search for it with a mirror on top of the transmission for about half an hour. Finally I saw it right there, stuck between the transmission and the frame, on the exhaust side. After many attempts with a hanger and some really long screw drivers, I finally took it off by prying the transmission a little for leaving enough space for the cap to escape from there.

1h30 job, fortunately a friend of mine has a lift in his garage, cause doing it on jack stands was a pain in the ass.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 AM

This is to funny , just yesterday for the first time in 8yrs ...I drop my oil cap and lost it Well after about an hour of looking I found it next to the heat shield wedged in between the shield and header . Seeing this post I feel much better I'm not the only one who has done this , could have been worse ,happy mine feel to the left instead of the right
Old 10-30-2014, 08:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just fished my oil cap out from the bowels of my engine bay. The threads are damage similar to the one pictured somewhere on S2Ki.

Is there a replacement cap that doesn't *@$&ing fall off? This is the second time this has happened. First time it was just laying on top of the engine.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I left mine on the cowl, between the hood and the windshield. Closing the hood cracked the cowl but the cap was still there. Drove 60 miles wondering why the intake sounded so airy and hollow LOL. It made quite a mess, and I lost nearly a quart of oil (went from 5 diamonds on the dipstick to 1 diamond).

A mechanic at an S2k meet gave me a good tip - set the cap on the hood latch. There's no where precarious it can fall, and you'll never forget to put it back on because you can't close the hood with it there.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:17 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe Honda redesigned the cap? Mine is always bloody tight when I try to remove, end up using a small mallet to knock it loose (yes, I lift bro)
Old 10-31-2014, 01:30 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,038 Posts

There is an aftermarket cap... FWIW:

http://www.amazon.com/Stant-10081-Oi...Ahonda%3As2000

Quick Reply: Oil cap is gone