S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil burning smell?

Old 08-31-2004, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil burning smell?

Ok fellas, ive noticed lately that when I Vtec I can smell burning oil for about a second after I get out of Vtec. I've also noticed that I am really burning oil too damn quick. I guess I am averaging 1000 miles every 2 weeks and I am about .5 qt less every 2 weeks after topping off. I am overdue for an oilchange and oil filter change so I was wondering if that would have anything to do with the smell or excess burning of the oil? I have not been engaging vtec much lately because of the delay of oil change but it still seems to burn the same amount off.

Also, I am wondering if I have something loose because I do get black soot on my bumper, not on just the rear of the bumper but on the sides of the bumper as well. Just makes me think that maybe I have an exhaust pipe or something else loose and possibly leaking out before it exits the exhaust. I have noticed a noise that sounds like rocks in a can coming from the rear of the car. It only makes the noise at low rpms when the exhaust would be shaking/ vibrating the most.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you related to "Dolemike" (the first)?

Depending upon the age and total mileage of your car, 1 qt every 2000 miles is not really that excessive, especially if you are VTECing a lot.
About the oil smell - You might want to check the condition of your PCV valve. A new one doesn't cost much and changing it would eliminate this as a possible cause of any "abnormal" oil consumption. You could also have a small leak that only appears when you are high rpm (higher oil pressure). Check around the oil filter, VTEC solenoid/pressure switch, oil pressure sender and even the oil fill cap.

Black soot on the bumper is not uncommon but perhaps yours is the more extreme case I've heard of. Perhaps your engine is running much more rich than normal.

As for the noise from the rear of the car, that would be hard to say for sure what it could be. Do you know for a fact that the exhaust moves excessively at low rpm? How do you know? If this is the case, you should check all the exhaust mounts. Maybe you're missing one of the rubber hangers.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:26 PM

VTEC is engaged with a solenoid? I always thought it was operated via brake booster.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:24 AM

Hey xviper, yea could be on to something with the oil leaking Vtec at higher rpm. I did forget to mention that when the smoke comes out (only visible at night, see older post) it only starts to be visible at 8k rpms or so. I probably am running rich as hell, i need a Vafc so bad... Id probably get some decent gains out of it.

The only reason i suspect the exhaust is making the noise is because it also makes it when Im just idling and it tends to come and go. Initially I thought it was the differential, but then I thought the differential wouldnt make a noise when the car is just sitting still would it, or are there moving parts in the diff even when the car is not in motion and in neutral? It seems to get slightly louder when I pull off moving thru the 1k - 2.5k rpm range in first gear and 2nd gear depending on how slow with the throttle I am then it goes away once in the high rpm band. I dont know how I could word it correctly but it would seem that at that rpm range the exhaust would be vibrating the most with the engine starting to go (does that make sense?). I also changed the diff fluid as I thought it would be a cause if the differential was the culprit but it made no difference in the noise.

Yes, I am Dolemike I am having problems getting the server to email me with a password so I can log back in, XViper could you be of any service with this issue??
Old 09-01-2004, 08:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If it's making this noise just sitting still and idling, then it might be a heat shield or something might be slightly out of position and barely touching another part. During certain times, this could cause a noise. You should wheel chock the car while it's running and making this noise and get your ear close to that area to try and trace it. And no, if the car is just sitting there and the rear wheels not spinning, nothing inside the diff would be spinning either.

As for you password for your original screen name, I'd suggest you PM one of the admins about this. If a solution can be found, only they can help you. (cthree, krazik, HondaGal or yogi).
Old 09-01-2004, 02:03 PM

i've noticed my car burns off oil at a faster rate when the oil is getting old, especially around the time for an oil change.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the help fellas, anything else will surely be appreciated. Friday its getting new oil and filter, im looking forward to that, i miss Vtec'ing.