S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

oil analysis of my s2k @ 29867 mi

Old 09-02-2006, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil analysis of my s2k @ 29867 mi

I had my oil analyzed by Blackstone Laboratories for the 3rd time recently.

my motor was at 29867 miles, and for this batch of oil I ran 5279 miles before draining and sending a sample to Blackstone. I had needed to add approx 1800ml of make-up oil during that 5279 mile interval.

here are my results. any opinions welcome!

Old 09-02-2006, 02:20 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

That's a great UOA. Whatever you're doing, keep on doing it.

I didn't see a TBN. I'm assuming you didn't get one. It's nice to see how much life is left in your oil.

Thanks for sharing this with us!
Old 09-03-2006, 03:24 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Good results
Thanks for posting.

Where did (does) the moly come from?
Do you add it yourself?

Is the Chevron a synthetic oil?
Either way.. it is shearing down a bit. (to a high 20 weigth)
Most of the time that would scare people to death!
But when Blackstone mentions "It's not hurting anything" they may all agree
Your engine backs it up with great (low) wear numbers

Old 09-03-2006, 05:37 AM

slalom44-- yes, I didn't bother with the TBN because I'm not interested in running my oil for extended periods anyway.

SpitfireS-- I'm not really sure where the moly came from. the last time I added Moly was about 25K miles ago. maybe Chevron added it themselves? I'm not sure.

the Chevron is regular old Costco dino oil. I've used it exclusively since day 1 and-- thanks to three supporting analyses from Blackstone-- I see no need to switch to synthetic.

for the record, when I had my oil tested at 10323 miles (w/ 5108 mi on that oil sample), the SUS Viscosity was 57.6.
at 18255 (4348), the SUS Viscosity was 56.9.

so the Chevron stuff does tend to shear, but it doesn't look to have caused excessive wear on the motor. that said, just to be on the safe side, I'll probably change the oil every 5k miles or less.

side note: I've been driving my car less often (weekend toy only), and don't change my oil based on a time interval-- strictly mileage. so this last batch of oil lasted me for 10 months (5279 miles). so far, it doesn't appear that there's any necessity to change the oil every 6 months or x miles, whichever comes first.

thanks all for the
Old 09-03-2006, 06:02 AM

oh, I've also been studiously tracking my fuel statistics and have found that when graphed, the linear trendline for my fuel economy shows that my S has had a MPG increase from approx 23.5mpg in the beginning to 25.5mpg currently (with no change in driving habits).

while it may not seem like much by looking at the numbers, that is an improvement of a bit over 9% over the last 3 years.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see the Chevron performinly nicely, thats what I've been using ever since 8k miles Great oil, even better price! I should extend my drain intervals though since I've been changing before 4k miles every time.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How did you get your UOA report to be so large on this website? You can actually read it! Thanks.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:38 AM

I should also note that my oil filters must be doing a darn good job.

I use Hamp Synergy oil filters exclusively. (they come in 2 sizes, and I believe I use the larger ones)
Old 09-03-2006, 08:49 AM

Do you guys just send a small sample of oil in the mail to these guys? im interested in getting an oil analysis done on my s. thanks.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC,Sep 3 2006, 06:49 AM
How did you get your UOA report to be so large on this website? You can actually read it! Thanks.
here's a step-by-step of how I do it (I encourage those of you who wish to post similar items to copy-n-paste this):

1) open up the UOA document
2) change the window size and move the scroll bars such that ONLY the data you want to display is shown on the screen (excludes the home address at the top, excludes the company footer at the bottom, etc.). make sure it is legible
3) hit Alt - Prnt Scrn
4) open up MS Paint (comes with all MS Windows)
5) hit Ctrl-V
6) select the crop tool and crop out just the data in the middle of the page (eliminating the pictured scroll bars, tool bars, etc.).
7) hit Ctrl-C
8) open a new MS Paint window. (It'll ask if you want to save your old one, yes or no, that's up to you.)
9) hit Ctrl-V. now you've pasted only the UOA data and it should be perfectly legible
10) Save As a jpeg file
11) Upload to www.imageshack.us (not .com-- that's just a stupid advertisement site. go to imageshack.US )
12) at the bottom of their page after you've uploaded the image is a hyperlink for a direct link to the image
13) to post the image to s2k (even if you don't have a membership), you simply type
img, bracketed with [ ], then the hyperlink, then /img bracketed with [ ]. (no spaces)

[ i m g ] http : // imageurl.jpg [ / i m g ] <-- remove the spaces.

and that's it.

Quick Reply: oil analysis of my s2k @ 29867 mi