S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

OH NO my retainers this is bad!

Old 08-22-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know if that style spring compressor will work with our engines? and if oem retainers will work with duel springs?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:29 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.euroexportinc.com/store/t...ompressor.html

If you replace everything use something high quality. I dont recognize those retainers. They are probably some cheap crap along with some cheap springs. If you start floating valves and binding things up you'll bust retainers like that too... Either way, as long as everything is correct you wont have these types of problems.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 AM

I already bought oem retainers, i was just wondering if they will work with the duel springs? the euroexport retainer compressor requires modification. Im wondering if that other one will work because it seems like it will work withing the limited space.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:10 AM
Banned

the euroexport tool has been fixed. I just got an updated one a few weeks ago and it works pretty good.. I had to grind a little off of it so it would clear the vtec solenoid .. I could have just pulled the solenoid off. The tool you posted above would work fine as well.

the factory springs are single springs, if you want an oem retainer that will work on dual springs get some rsx type s retainers... but I wouldnt use a stock retainer on upgraded springs.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
A lot of people see Ti retainers as an upgrade to oem retainers. Ti retainers are lighterweight but they tend to have a shorter life, so they are really only good for racing purposes IMO. Someone had the idea that they were doing themselves some good by installing those parts and aftermarket companies push them all the time. This is good evidence of what can go wrong. Maybe the previous owners had ideas of revving the motor higher than stock and someone told them that Ti retainers would help them achieve that. If you go with Ti retainers plan on changing them more frequently. I'm not a metallurgist, but I believe a Ti retainer will be softer than steel oem.

Count your blessings and hopefully you can get the car back on the road with minimal damage and cost.
Ti is stronger and harder than steel for that reason it's also kind of britle. Also it can't bend as much as steel before breaking.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:00 AM
Banned

the problem with Ti is that it galls and wears down when it rubs against other types of metals. Springs are TI, so if you get a retainer that does not fit in the spring properly it will move around on top of the spring and wear out like what you see in the OP. Thats usually limited to cheap crappy stuff or really old school stuff. Modern high quality springs and retainers dont do this.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by wadzii
the problem with Ti is that it galls and wears down when it rubs against other types of metals. Springs are TI, so if you get a retainer that does not fit in the spring properly it will move around on top of the spring and wear out like what you see in the OP. Thats usually limited to cheap crappy stuff or really old school stuff. Modern high quality springs and retainers dont do this.
I think what happens is that the springs spin around at higher rpm's so it's wearing out because of that. heres a video that will show it even tho our engines dont go to 15k rpm's but you can clearly see how the springs and retainers are spining around.
http://youtu.be/xGNU3KyielE
Old 08-24-2013, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not use oem retainers with the dual springs. Get some OEM springs.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:20 AM
Banned

if your springs are spinning then you have way bigger problems than TI wearing out. Springs dont spin.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:05 AM

Why would oem not be okay on duel springs? Are the steel not as strong as ti

Quick Reply: OH NO my retainers this is bad!