S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oh god...

Old 03-18-2006, 11:00 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Unbelieveable.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=xviper,Mar 18 2006, 12:40 AM]I've seen some pretty naive people in my life and many of those fell off a turnip truck yesterday, but in this particular case, there was no "falling off" going on.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by billman250,Mar 18 2006, 03:00 PM
Unbelieveable.
Billman, I'm glad you're here. You live up in the north east, and I live in the south east. I've also lived in Michigan, California, and Nebraska, and everywhere I've lived incidents and people like this were common. In fact, I have to say that this guys level of knowledge seems pretty typical to me. Most of my customers (with a number of notable exceptions) are at my mercy, because they know so little about cars. Don't you find the same to be true up there in the north east?

Isn't ignorance about cars more common than knowledge?

And aren't crooked mechanics all too common, and only able to stay in business because they can fool so many people?

When a customer comes in with his S2000 two quarts low on oil, do you tell him how stupid he is, or do you simply explain the need to check his oil more frequently?

I think our forums would be more helpful for some if we treated "typical" consumers with more respect. Do you agree, or disagree?

LOL, do you think I might have just fallen off the turnip truck?
Old 03-18-2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Mar 18 2006, 03:27 PM
Billman, I'm glad you're here. You live up in the north east, and I live in the south east. I've also lived in Michigan, California, and Nebraska, and everywhere I've lived incidents and people like this were common. In fact, I have to say that this guys level of knowledge seems pretty typical to me. Most of my customers (with a number of notable exceptions) are at my mercy, because they know so little about cars. Don't you find the same to be true up there in the north east?

Isn't ignorance about cars more common than knowledge?

And aren't crooked mechanics all too common, and only able to stay in business because they can fool so many people?

When a customer comes in with his S2000 two quarts low on oil, do you tell him how stupid he is, or do you simply explain the need to check his oil more frequently?

I think our forums would be more helpful for some if we treated "typical" consumers with more respect. Do you agree, or disagree?

LOL, do you think I might have just fallen off the turnip truck?
for the most part.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mechancial ignorance is not a sin, however, in this case,
After reading all the advice and info from this thread he takes an S2000 to a:
After speaking to one of the technicians at the service station
Where they promptly tell him this (after all the stuff he reads here):
Ok, so.. After speaking to one of the technicians at the service station the CEL was caused by 5 sensors all relating to misfires, which was why it was shaking. ( 10 points for redmx5 ) They said the valves aren't bent, but my clutch is completely out and i'm going to have to replace my clutch, flywheel, something about how my car was reverse detonating which is going to have to be repaired. He said my retainers were fine, and that my engine was fine as well I was just going to have to replace my clutch and sparkplugs, flywheel and a couple other clutch related parts. I was quoted 3280 for repairs and parts. Feedback ?
Lot's of criticism over this diagnosis ensues.
Then they tell him this:
Service place is reallly trying to get me to stay with them.. but, I just went ahead and had them do the compression test ( 20psi to the 4th cylinder ) but the others were fine and it passed the leakdown test as well.
More criticism follows.

The rest is pretty recent, so no need to quote. I'm really starting to feel sorry for the guy, but sometimes, we orchestrate our own demise. Many of the things that have transpired could have been avoided to a large degree if advice was heeded and good reasoning and judgement used when armed with that advice.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:37 PM

[QUOTE=xviper,Mar 18 2006, 09:31 PM]Mechancial ignorance is not a sin, however, in this case,
After reading all the advice and info from this thread he takes an S2000 to a:

Where they promptly tell him this (after all the stuff he reads here):
Lot's of criticism over this diagnosis ensues.
Then they tell him this:
More criticism follows.

The rest is pretty recent, so no need to quote.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Mar 18 2006, 08:37 PM
Know what I mean?
Indeed I do. It is unfortunate that this young lad doesn't have someone like you or me or some of the others in this thread living close to him to lend a hand. The internet is difficult to convey "trustworthy" advice.
We had a young person in my city with an S and although not to this extreme, had some issues. We talked face to face and on the phone. I told him exactly what he had to do and what to say. I told him to get his dad involved. His situation turned out far better. Unfortunately, sometimes a hard lesson learned is the only lesson remembered.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:56 PM

Well, --- My car had an over-rev.. I had it towed to the Service station. Got opinion number 1.. They wanted to charge me 3400 for clutch / flywheel work. Had them do a compression test after them telling me the engine was fine.. 40psi to cylinder 4.. That's when I had it towed half-way across town to a guy that's been working on Honda for 20 years ( a friend of my Mother's fiancee ). He fixed the clutch without having to replace the flywheel and got the compression to my 4th cylinder back to 140psi and told me the car would run fine ( after paying 1400 ). I'm not a mechanic, and so I took the advice of a Mechanic. Now, i'm back to square one and being criticized for my mistake.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a mechanic, and so I took the advice of a Mechanic. Now, i'm back to square one and being criticized for my mistake.
I think Billman250 is a mechanic also.

DEANO1STUNNA......this is the best advice you're going to get so read carefully:

YOU are not a mechanic, which is totally fine. You are not expected to know how to investigate this stuff. However, THEY are. If they mis-diagnose the car, do all the work, and it's still messed up, don't pay for it.

Let them do what they will. BEFORE you pay for it, ask that you can drive it first. If that's not ok, ask them to take you for a drive in your car.
As far as people criticizing you, I do get the feeling that people here are still willing to help. I've caught a little heat on s2ki before, I guess that's just how it goes. I hope this works out for you soon, best of luck.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deano1stunna,Mar 20 2006, 12:56 AM
Well, --- My car had an over-rev.. I had it towed to the Service station. Got opinion number 1.. They wanted to charge me 3400 for clutch / flywheel work. Had them do a compression test after them telling me the engine was fine.. 40psi to cylinder 4.. That's when I had it towed half-way across town to a guy that's been working on Honda for 20 years ( a friend of my Mother's fiancee ). He fixed the clutch without having to replace the flywheel and got the compression to my 4th cylinder back to 140psi and told me the car would run fine ( after paying 1400 ). I'm not a mechanic, and so I took the advice of a Mechanic. Now, i'm back to square one and being criticized for my mistake.
Unfortunately, you got conflicting advice.

Your mechanic (the 20 year honda guy) obviously doesn't know what he's doing, but you thought he did, so you trusted him. FYI 140psi is not acceptable. Most are over 200psi in each cylinder.

However, you were given good advice by members here who know a hell of a lot more than that mechanic. SlowS2k is an ASE master mechanic who pretty much works on nothing but hondas, specifically S2k's. xviper is also a very long time mechanic, as is billman250. The people here who are mechanics and give you advice, are here because of their knowledge of S2000's.

If they speak, you should listen. Armed with that advice, you should be able to make competent decisions vs what a mechanic tells you when you take your car to them. If a mechanic tells you something that is conflicting, feel free to come back and ask us. If we can't give you a solid answer, we'll tell you.

That said, there is something to be said about the decision you made. You went to a "20 year honda mechanic". So? The S2k has only been out for 6 years, and is VERY DIFFERENT than any other honda out there, so his prior experience means very little if he has no S2k experience.

You went to someone who I'm guessing you have no recourse for any libel. If he screwed something up or didn't fix the problem, you're out money and your hands are tied.

Whereas, if you had instead, gone to an actual honda dealership, they carry insurance for such things and you would have some recourse if they screwed up or didn't fix the problem.

Your entire situation was exacerbated by the fact that you thought you knew what you were doing (checking the engine mounts? ), and you chose to ignore a flashing CEL and the fact that your car was shaking at idle. even after you were given solid advice here, you continued on about your clutch, etc, and ignored what was said to you.

Your situation has been a rash of bad or misinformed decisions, so there isn't really any fault here but your own.

My final suggestion to you. Post in your regional forum here, and ask for a reputable honda dealership. Take your car there.

Quick Reply: Oh god...