S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oh god...

Old 03-04-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh god...

Ok so about 10 days ago I let my girlfriend drive my car and she misshifted at around 70mph from 3rd to 2nd. It was only in second for about 2 seconds, and we drove it to her friends house where my check engine light now excitingly was blinking. :\ .. So, I checked my motor mounts just thinkig the engine might have jumped or something. Couldn't really tell, so I planned on taking it to the shop to get it looked at but since it was driving fine I waited a week. Wellll tonight.. ( having no problems prior to this other then my car shaking a little bit when idling ) My car wasn't shifting into 3rd properly and wouldn't catch the gear and I had to go straight to 4th. Did this twice and then drove fine for another 5 minutes before I came to a stop light and I had a hard time getting it from 1st to 2nd and eventually to 3rd at lower RPMs. Eventually within a matter of 15 minutes none of my gears were catching and my car wouldn't move more then 5mph and my spedometer was off as well.. Checked my hydraulic fluid and it was fine.. and it continued to do the same thing after 20 minutes of letting the clutch cool down.. Help, because my baby is sitting at a Huddle House right now ???
Old 03-04-2006, 06:23 PM

all I know is that if your CEL was blinking, you should not have driven your car. It means that you have serious enough dam to your engine that driving further can damage it even more.....
but then again im not sure..
please correct me if im wrong.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:54 PM

Checked your motor mounts?!... how about bent valves and other things that are related the revving the motor so freaking high.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:08 PM

Sounds like you bent some valves, DO NOT START OR DRIVE THE CAR AGAIN you may damage it even more. Get it to your house if you plan to work on it or have it towed to a dealer
Old 03-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Banned

apply for a credit card with high balance, I think you know what comes next!

EDIT: limit not balance
Old 03-04-2006, 07:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't people read the owner's manual anymore? When the CEL is blinking,

DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR! PULL OVER AND SHUT IT OFF ASAP AND HAVE IT FLATBEDDED TO THE NEAREST DEALER!

This little indiscretion may have caused even more horrendous damage.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:27 PM

Im little confused here.....
Can damaged engine have anything to do with trouble shifting????
Old 03-04-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It is likely that she mechanically OVER-REVVED the engine in the mis-shift into 2nd. The valve train can only tolerate a certain max rpm, after which, the valves float. Then you get valve to piston interference. The rest, you should be able to figure out.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:08 PM

It just got out of the shop last month where I spent $750 'cause some lady decided to hit me from behind and throw me into a wall during the rain. :\
Old 03-04-2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by deano1stunna,Mar 4 2006, 10:11 PM
Ok so about 10 days ago I let my girlfriend drive my car and she misshifted at around 70mph from 3rd to 2nd. It was only in second for about 2 seconds, and we drove it to her friends house where my check engine light now excitingly was blinking. :\ .. So, I checked my motor mounts just thinkig the engine might have jumped or something. Couldn't really tell, so I planned on taking it to the shop to get it looked at but since it was driving fine I waited a week. Wellll tonight.. ( having no problems prior to this other then my car shaking a little bit when idling ) My car wasn't shifting into 3rd properly and wouldn't catch the gear and I had to go straight to 4th. Did this twice and then drove fine for another 5 minutes before I came to a stop light and I had a hard time getting it from 1st to 2nd and eventually to 3rd at lower RPMs. Eventually within a matter of 15 minutes none of my gears were catching and my car wouldn't move more then 5mph and my spedometer was off as well.. Checked my hydraulic fluid and it was fine.. and it continued to do the same thing after 20 minutes of letting the clutch cool down.. Help, because my baby is sitting at a Huddle House right now ???
Listen to XViper. Park the car and have it transported to your dealership.

A flashing CEL (Check Engine Light) is a warning that the car should be stopped immediately and trailered to the shop, because driving it is likely to cause additional significant damage. There is no sense in trying to guess what's been damaged (though we could give you a list of possible candidates), because it doesn't matter. It's serious.

Sorry you're having to deal with this kind of problem; It's the kind of thing that can get expensive quickly.

Quick Reply: Oh god...