S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The Official "MOD to Stay Away From"

Old 11-29-2006, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

wow thats wierd. i had an oil consuming problem with royal purple myself. then i switch to castrol syntec... wierd. ever since theres not much of a problem anymore.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by sexycheto88,Nov 29 2006, 04:33 PM
wow thats wierd. i had an oil consuming problem with royal purple myself. then i switch to castrol syntec... wierd. ever since theres not much of a problem anymore.
Gotta be related to the evil marketers spreading the rumor that RP is different than other oils when they know full well it's just the same as every other oil on the market.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:37 PM

I had a problem with Mobile 1 in our first Merkur. When I switched to the synthetic it seemed like every gasket in the engine started weaping oil. Switched back to Castrol and no more weaping.

I've used nothing but Mobile 1 in the S2000 and have no complaints.

All oils are the same, just as all cars are the same.
(4 wheels, right? )
Old 11-30-2006, 01:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to add the new mtf to the list, it might be improved from the oem stuff but it's not even in the ballpark with gmsmfm
Old 11-30-2006, 04:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Nov 29 2006, 10:37 PM
I had a problem with Mobile 1 in our first Merkur.
Mobile 1, is that the state oil of Alabama?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Nov 30 2006, 06:05 AM
Old 11-30-2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Nov 30 2006, 08:05 AM
LOL, what's an extra "e" between friends.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Nov 8 2006, 10:53 PM
I used apparently the best stuff you could buy. I read a review of all the top sound deadening materials and this came out on top. I think it was like second skin audio or something. I actually forget, deleted the website from my favorites.

I lined my whole interior cabin with it and then even put some sound deadening foam on top of it to help with the deadening.

I expected it to reduce some wind noise, road noise, and maybe help out on the drone of the invidia (this was before I got the testpipe). My car was just as loud with it in as it was without anything. NO reduction in wind, road, or droneing noise.

PITA to install and total pos. Its going to be fun taking it all out

Should have just got the testpipe, that killed most of the drone
You drive a Convertible ...... Why would you think sound deadening the metal panels help keep out noise when you only have one mil of canvas over your head ??

They make headliners for the top ( Dont remember the manufacturer , I believe Euro ) or a hardtop with deadener would have been your best choice .

As far as not being happy with mod performance , 9 times out of 10 it is due to poor install or poor quality product because you wanted to save a few bucks . Parts are also designed to work with other parts to get the most out of them .

Examples

1) aftermarket springs , your factory struts were not designed to dampen the higher spring rates thus fail with in a year .

2) in the case of the Boost controller 14+ psi is nothing for a Subaru hell 25psi is nothing we are talking about a low compression motor . But more air and no fuel is a recipe for disaster . We have Legacy GT running 22 psi with a Cobb tuning accessport. Pulls my Supercharged S2k before it bit the wall .

Also people fail to realize that most mods are for offroad use only . They were not designed for everyday street use . Race tracks dont have potholes , mud , snow etc. Noise is not as much of a issue because you have a helmet on . Comfort is not a concern as much as finishing or placing .

If the factory could have made it better they would have , but they look at things like abuse , warranty , Emissions .

Oh ya Emissions , we did a test with a Turbo S2000 with no cat , We put a CO meter in the car . With in a few mile the car was killing the driver we saw 600 register on the meter .

At 400 they book says exposer will cause head aches within 1-2 hours , life threatening after 2-3 hours

At 800 Dizziness, nausea , and convulsions within 45min Unconsciousness within 2 hrs , death within 2-3hrs

I know you guys are going to say it must run really rich , The car is 400whp and get 30mpg cruising ( Better gas mileage than stock ) so cant be that rich .

Just some food for thought .
Old 11-30-2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Twiztid,Nov 30 2006, 08:05 PM
As far as not being happy with mod performance , 9 times out of 10 it is due to poor install or poor quality product because you wanted to save a few bucks . Parts are also designed to work with other parts to get the most out of them .
Cheap parts are hardly ever satisfactory.
However, ...

Originally Posted by Twiztid,Nov 30 2006, 08:05 PM
1) aftermarket springs , your factory struts were not designed to dampen the higher spring rates thus fail with in a year .
Not necessarily. Poorly engineers aftermarket springs can cause a number of problems, but making this kind of general statement is just wrong. I've had an Eibach Prokit on my car for nearly two years now, and the stock shocks have not given any sign of giving up the ghost yet. No reason they should.

BTW, not to make too fine a point of it, but our cars have a fully independent suspension, not struts.

Other than that, I have to say that you've pretty much nailed it. Every car is a collection of compromises, and when you start changing things, you change the compromises. There are always tradeoffs that should be considered, and there is never any free lunch.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Twiztid,Nov 30 2006, 08:05 PM] You drive a Convertible ...... Why would you think sound deadening the metal panels help keep out noise when you only have one mil of canvas over your head ??

They make headliners for the top ( Dont remember the manufacturer , I believe Euro ) or a hardtop with deadener

Quick Reply: The Official "MOD to Stay Away From"