S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The Official "MOD to Stay Away From"

Old 11-02-2006, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5
I rarely buy anything on impulse...
That's true for me, too, for major things, at least.

But I'm a sucker for little things, those creature comfort gadgets that go in the cockpit to "help" you with one thing or another. Maybe these don't really count as "modifications", so I won't list my follies here, but I will suggest applying the same level (or at least SOME level) of research to the little things as well as to FI and exhausts and body kits -- and other biggies.

That way, you'll wind up wasting less money and you'll help keep the local landfill from overflowing. I speak from experience here HPH
Old 11-02-2006, 04:33 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Avoid all modifications and you will live in bliss. No hassels from cops, no smog problems, less warrantee problems. etc. All that extra money to spend on fun stuff.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Cherry04,Nov 2 2006, 01:11 AM
First off AMEN to that bro i have no clue why ppl did it waste like 1k-2k on stuff that will give you an extra 10-25 whp and am being generous with 25whp.
I guess to each his own.
While I understand the logic and reasoning behind your opinion, I respectfully dissent. Financially, FI is the logical way to go for massive whp/tq, but I also view it as sort of cheating.

I enjoy the challenge the F series presents to those seeking to enhance and improve upon an already fantastic motor, without resorting to FI. If I were to simply bolt on a supercharger, I think I would lose some interest in the car because the motor would be "complete." I will never go FI because I view my car as a continuing work in progress. I hope there never comes a day when I feel that I have "completed" my car.

-Will
Old 11-02-2006, 06:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=KstreetDC,Nov 2 2006, 06:34 AM]While I understand the logic and reasoning behind your opinion, I respectfully dissent.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:29 AM

Yeah FI starts a whole new ball game. I recently sold my boosted b16 civic for my S. I got tired of being scared to drive long trips, and scared of the reliablity. I also got tired of going fast on the street and in striaght lines.

I got the S, and for a few years all I will do is "waste" my money on an intake, exhaust, etc. Not everyone wants to go balls out fast, been there done that. The S is a lot slower than my civic. But I can deal with it, only time it hurts is some weekends out with the boosted frends haha.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry04,Nov 1 2006, 10:11 PM
First off AMEN to that bro i have no clue why ppl did it waste like 1k-2k on stuff that will give you an extra 10-25 whp and am being generous with 25whp.
I guess to each his own.

Second Great thread idea, let me think what i've done and regret it now..
Getting the GReddy ems. Should've just brought the aem ems from the get go.
Which i did and just sold the GReddy ems for 100 bucks. Lost 200 dollars on it.

Marcus
My opinion on buying the small stuff instead of just stepping up and going FI is that FI is a big step. It takes a lot of initial investment, and for good reward as well. But if you consider at least 5k for a supercharger...that is a hard amount to save up for ONE mod...while a major, and car changing mod. Still just one mod.

Its typically easier for people to buy little things here and there and see slight changes along the way and be perfectly happy.

Also, the car is pretty quick stock, not terribly fast, but it is faster then most cars on the road.

I just had a single exhaust/intake/test pipe/ and AEM EMS (which is for sale btw ) on my car and made ~220whp. Now I'm selling all of that stuff, not because I am dissatisfied, but because it is not what I want from this car. I want mods that will improve my driveability and comfort, and mid range power; without being noisy, ugly, obnoxious, etc. And now that I have a 4.57 rear gear set, that alone makes me faster then my 220whp mods did all together. I guess that is my reasoning why I'll spend money again on smaller things to get a little bump in hp rather then just saving up for the SC, which I would like. I guess I don't see a personal need for an SC at this time yet as I'm sure with 4.57's and a good mid range gain I'll be pretty happy. Like I said, if you don't have an EMS yet, you can buy mine, check sig.

Now as for a mod I have purchased and tell people they should stay away from? hmm...after a few minutes of thinking...I honestly can't think of one.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by mgp 2675,Nov 1 2006, 08:49 PM
In a turbocharged car, or just certain turbocharged cars...I would definitely stay away from boost controllers and all of these new parts that people seldomly BLOW their engines with. I'm not exactly sure how it works on a turbo'd S...but on my WRX and STi, those were the worst possible mods I could have thought of.
A boost controller works the same on every turbo'd car out there, they simply raise boost above what your wastegate spring could do on its own. Whether its manual or electronic, they do the same job for the most part, but they are only dangerous if you do not tune for the higher boost levels. More boost without fuel is a pretty big mistake.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:45 AM

STAY AWAY FROM THIS!!

for more pictures go here
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=421692&st=0
Old 11-02-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sideways,Nov 2 2006, 10:53 AM
I don't know how you can possibly say:"If I were to simply bolt on a supercharger, I think I would lose some interest in the car because the motor would be "complete."
The addition of a supercharger creates a whole additional area of playing around in addition to the base car. I don't know anyone that feels "complete" with the addition of FI but rather a feeling of being released from the S2000 limits or freed up.

"I will never go FI because I view my car as a continuing work in progress." Is this what you really ment?

If it is, let me tell you from personal experience increased NA rwhp is not all that it is made out to be. I was putting down 240+ rwhp prior to boosting. More will always be better, especially if you are putting up with those pesky '07 Shelby GT 500s, 996tts, C6Z06s and Ford GTs just to mention a few.

Thanks for your insight. I am removing my foot from my mouth now
Old 11-02-2006, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... wandering back to the original topic.

The mod I regret is Toda camshafts. The first set disentegrated. The replacement set makes less power than the stock camshafts.

In a way, I currently regret buying my Amuse R1000, simply because it's currently sitting in a corner of my garage, but if I ever start seriously tracking the car again, I'll put it back on.
The following users liked this post:
NICODON (05-01-2020)

Quick Reply: The Official "MOD to Stay Away From"