S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

OEM vs Aftermarket thoughts

Old 01-27-2012, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM vs Aftermarket thoughts

I just wanted to get some opinions on aftermarket over OEM parts and upgrades. I watch a lot of car shows and to really make your car your own and make it unique you add custom mods to make it stand out from the rest. This is something I slowly want to do, and have some ideas but I'm not sure if I'm wasting my money and time.

For example, MVP motorsports has this product with this claim –

Unorthodox Racing Lightweight Pulley Set for Honda S2000 - Stock Diameter
Part # UR 040601312

Unorthodox Racing's Pulley Set for the Honda S2000 not only adds a nice touch to your bay but also produces a nice power gain as well. On average an 11-15 hp increase can be expected with the decrease in rotational mass. These pulleys are an incredible .78lbs vs. the factory 6.31lbs.

Pulleys pictures are the alternator and crank pulley. This fits all years S2000.
MSRP $323.40
Your Price$294.00

Now I think that would really look nice in my engine bay and replacing these pulleys and tensioners isn’t a bad idea. Is this claim about increased HP true?

Another good example is this -

**NEW PRODUCT** Berk Technology Honda S2000 50mm Exhaust Manifold/Header
Part # Berk BT1615

Uses large port 50mm primaries & high flow CAD designed 63.5mm collector (2.5"). Optimized for use with aftermarket exhaust and/or test pipe. Perfect compliment to the Berk Technology 2.5" test pipe. Polished 304SS. Includes secondary wideband O2 sensor port for fuel tuning. One of the best performing headers for the AP1 & AP2 S2000.

MSRP $499.99

Your Price $449.99

My question is are aftermarket parts worth the money and claims? if so what aftermarket parts due the S2K good over ones that are a waste?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know if I would believe those power gains with the pulleys.. I've never changed mine out, I probably wouldnt waste money on something like that.

As for the header, you wont really see much gains by itself but if you pair it up with a more free flowing exhaust and TUNE for it. You'll see some gains. Id do that before I did the pulleys.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

I think they ment .11-.15 hp

There is no HP increase. However, any reduction in rotating mass can have a greater effect than HP. Less work for the engine. I have alum pulleys myself. Not underdriven.

I am NOT a fan of changing the stock crank pulley, I think its a bad idea for vibration damping reasons.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thing is i dont want to lose the stock sound of the exhaust, or change it to the sound of a ricer civic that sounds like a lawmower at full rev. I want something in terms of exhaust that sounds like stock or deeper. Any ideas?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:31 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

fujitsubo exhaust
Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
fujitsubo exhaust
Tough to find, I've been on the search too LOL
Old 01-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Gold Member (Premium)Member (Premium)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Regarding sports cars-and I think the s2000 qualifies-it's very difficult to improve on oem without running into some compromising. The OEM engineers have more resources and experience/data than any aftermarket company out there. The cars arrive as they do as a result of carefully chosen tradeoffs and in the case of a sports car, it's usually cost/performance (as opposed to sound/comfort/design, etc).

As an example, if you want more road feedback and stiffen up the bushings, you're going to get more vibration. If you want faster rpm/engine response and lighten the flywheel/driveshaft, you'll need more rpm starting from standing. If you want more hp via FI, you either have more heat (turbo) or noise (sc). There is no free lunch so to speak.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:47 PM

There is no HP increase. However, any reduction in rotating mass can have a greater effect than HP. Less work for the engine. I have alum pulleys myself. Not underdriven.

I am NOT a fan of changing the stock crank pulley, I think its a bad idea for vibration damping reasons.
There is some hp to be made with pulley's on a 500hp boosted s2000 you may actually get 11hp, but on a normal car with a full set of pulleys 4 would be more likely or less, and that's a full set like what Toda offers. As for the crank pulley I might not go lightweight but I have considered a fluid dampener to add one.

This graph seems to show a fairly decent amount of improvement in dampening and my local hot rod builder swears by them and he builds big budget 2000hp drag cars all day long.

As for exhausts I think the best off the shelf onese I have heard are the t1r sparrows, I really like the 70mm single

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc...1r_70r_sparrow[2].jpg
Old 01-27-2012, 07:15 PM

Don't forget to read those fine prints. I'm sure they have other upgrades along with this part.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:20 PM

I do little bit of aftermarket parts on my car even I'm not big fan of aftermarket.
Not because I want to gain more HP or anything but trying to look different than others. Makes it unique like you said.
Unless you're going to track your car or putting your car in for show car etc, I wouldn't invest too much money into it.

In fact, these days... you get more attention even if your car is simply clean

Quick Reply: OEM vs Aftermarket thoughts